Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AMEX Priority Pass will exclude Restaurants (August 2019)

Old May 28, 2019, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club

This is upsetting. This comes across as cheap. I can see many customers being surprised and angry when they get a bill for a Priority Pass visit.

Effective August 1 “the Priority Pass Membership benefit offered on American Express Platinum and Centurion Cards and Hilton Ascend, Hilton Aspire, and Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ Cards will no longer include complimentary access to non-lounge airport experiences.”
https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...aurant-credit/
andymell likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 9:21 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by JHake10
.... customers being surprised and angry when they get a bill for a Priority Pass visit.....
This may not happen. Priority Pass should be able to program their system so that American Express subsidized memberships are rejected by the restaurant POS system.

It will be interesting to see if Citi and Chase do the same, and if Priority Pass continues to offer this feature if there is widespread pushback from card issuers.
Old May 28, 2019, 9:24 am

So there is a fee hike for the platinum card and decreased benefits? Real "enhancement"
Old May 28, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
This is upsetting. This comes across as cheap. I can see many customers being surprised and angry when they get a bill for a Priority Pass visit.

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...aurant-credit/
I'll be using my Chase issued PP as long as Chase doesn't do the same.
Boraxo and slutide like this.
Old May 28, 2019, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
This may not happen. Priority Pass should be able to program their system so that American Express subsidized memberships are rejected by the restaurant POS system.

It will be interesting to see if Citi and Chase do the same, and if Priority Pass continues to offer this feature if there is widespread pushback from card issuers.
They could reject the the transaction. They don't do that today for extra guest at a lounge though. For example, I can show up to a lounge with three people. The lounge agent will gladly swipe my membership card. I'll then get a bill for that one extra guest.
Old May 28, 2019, 9:38 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
They could reject the the transaction. They don't do that today for extra guest at a lounge though. For example, I can show up to a lounge with three people. The lounge agent will gladly swipe my membership card. I'll then get a bill for that one extra guest.
Understood, because the membership rules allow you to pay for extra guests. This will be different, because the membership will be invalid at that location. Priority Pass handled this when United Clubs accepted some, but not all, types of memberships.
JHake10 and cuthroat like this.
Old May 28, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Oh, FFS ... coupled with the widespread rejection of PPSelect at so many lounges, this is going to seriously diminish PP for me.
Old May 28, 2019, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Understood, because the membership rules allow you to pay for extra guests. This will be different, because the membership will be invalid at that location. Priority Pass handled this when United Clubs accepted some, but not all, types of memberships.
That was the origination of Priority Pass Select, right? So I guess this would be Priority Pass Select Select

I would skip the SFO Centurion and go to a PP Restaurant. I figure it "helped" AMEX with crowding. I guess that was too expensive. I'll still do that with my Chase Priority Pass membership (for now).
Boraxo likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 9:44 am

This seems like an over correction to a problem. I have no doubt that people are abusing the system, but it seems easily to rectify (limit transactions per day/week/month/individual facilities, etc...)

In my opinion, this is a marked degradation to the program.
Spiff likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Won't bother me, I have PP cards from 3 issuers. I will just plan to cancel the Amex card prior to paying the next AF, and will be sure to mention this enhancement.
scfw0x0f and chitink like this.
Old May 28, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: AC 75K, HIlton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson Rewards Gold
Well, as of now nothing on Canada PP thru Amex but am assuming that is about to change...I've only used this benefit once at Denver but will say it was a nice change vs. lounge
Old May 28, 2019, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by theranj
Well, as of now nothing on Canada PP thru Amex but am assuming that is about to change...I've only used this benefit once at Denver but will say it was a nice change vs. lounge
I was going to put [USA] in the post title to avoid confusion. However, the USA changes were confirmed after the Hong Kong changes. I'm guess this is a world wide cost cutting measure.
mattdk88 likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 10:29 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
I'll be using my Chase issued PP as long as Chase doesn't do the same.
Can anyone remind me how to distinguish my CSR PP card from my Amex Plat PP card? IIRC the Chase one has 16 digits while the Amex one has fewer digits?

I mostly use the app to get into the lounges now anyway (which I highly recommend for anyone who isn't, btw; one less card to carry and dig out of a wallet or bag while running around the airport) and if my formulation above is correct, it appears I am using my Amex PP card in the app, so I guess I'll have to figure out how to set that up for the Chase PP card instead.

That is, unless Chase follows suit and renders the whole thing moot.
Old May 28, 2019, 10:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I would hope that this is the way it works. It would be very awkward to sign a bill for an extra guest at the door.
Old May 28, 2019, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by bgriff
Can anyone remind me how to distinguish my CSR PP card from my Amex Plat PP card? IIRC the Chase one has 16 digits while the Amex one has fewer digits?

I mostly use the app to get into the lounges now anyway (which I highly recommend for anyone who isn't, btw; one less card to carry and dig out of a wallet or bag while running around the airport) and if my formulation above is correct, it appears I am using my Amex PP card in the app, so I guess I'll have to figure out how to set that up for the Chase PP card instead.

That is, unless Chase follows suit and renders the whole thing moot.
Only a single data point, but I labeled my PP cards when I got them.

Amex PP card has 11 digits, formatted as 3 digits, space, 7 digits, space, 1 digit). Mine starts with a 1.
CSR PP card has 16 digits all run together, no spaces. Mine starts with a 7.

I always get these confused with the changing rules. Am I correct now that:
- Amex Plat-supplied PP gets you+2 into the lounge, but as of August no non-lounge stuff?
- CSR-supplied PP gets you+2 into lounge, and as of right now still valid for non-lounge stuff?

It's not just restaurants that are going away. I use my PP every now and then for a Minute Suite which was a very nice thing to have.
Statman likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.