Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AMEX USA Priority Pass will exclude Restaurants (August 2019)

AMEX USA Priority Pass will exclude Restaurants (August 2019)

Old May 28, 19, 9:13 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: UA PP, AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott LTPP, Avis President's Club
Posts: 1,316
AMEX USA Priority Pass will exclude Restaurants (August 2019)

This is upsetting. This comes across as cheap. I can see many customers being surprised and angry when they get a bill for a Priority Pass visit.

Effective August 1 “the Priority Pass Membership benefit offered on American Express Platinum and Centurion Cards and Hilton Ascend, Hilton Aspire, and Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ Cards will no longer include complimentary access to non-lounge airport experiences.”
https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...aurant-credit/
andymell likes this.
JHake10 is offline  
Old May 28, 19, 9:21 am
  #2  
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Posts: 38,600
Originally Posted by JHake10 View Post
.... customers being surprised and angry when they get a bill for a Priority Pass visit.....
This may not happen. Priority Pass should be able to program their system so that American Express subsidized memberships are rejected by the restaurant POS system.

It will be interesting to see if Citi and Chase do the same, and if Priority Pass continues to offer this feature if there is widespread pushback from card issuers.
mia is offline  
Old May 28, 19, 9:24 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,907
So there is a fee hike for the platinum card and decreased benefits? Real "enhancement"
s0ssos is offline  
Old May 28, 19, 9:25 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Programs: BA GGL/CCR; AA EXP; AS 75K; DL MM SM aka dirt; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SPG Gold
Posts: 3,441
Originally Posted by JHake10 View Post
This is upsetting. This comes across as cheap. I can see many customers being surprised and angry when they get a bill for a Priority Pass visit.



https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...aurant-credit/
I'll be using my Chase issued PP as long as Chase doesn't do the same.
Boraxo and slutide like this.
DeltaFlyingProf is offline  
Old May 28, 19, 9:28 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: UA PP, AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott LTPP, Avis President's Club
Posts: 1,316
Originally Posted by mia View Post
This may not happen. Priority Pass should be able to program their system so that American Express subsidized memberships are rejected by the restaurant POS system.

It will be interesting to see if Citi and Chase do the same, and if Priority Pass continues to offer this feature if there is widespread pushback from card issuers.
They could reject the the transaction. They don't do that today for extra guest at a lounge though. For example, I can show up to a lounge with three people. The lounge agent will gladly swipe my membership card. I'll then get a bill for that one extra guest.
JHake10 is offline  
Old May 28, 19, 9:38 am
  #6  
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Posts: 38,600
Originally Posted by JHake10 View Post
They could reject the the transaction. They don't do that today for extra guest at a lounge though. For example, I can show up to a lounge with three people. The lounge agent will gladly swipe my membership card. I'll then get a bill for that one extra guest.
Understood, because the membership rules allow you to pay for extra guests. This will be different, because the membership will be invalid at that location. Priority Pass handled this when United Clubs accepted some, but not all, types of memberships.
JHake10 and cuthroat like this.
mia is offline  
Old May 28, 19, 9:42 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: SJC
Programs: Bonvoy Tit Forever, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN CP, CLEAR
Posts: 3,744
Oh, FFS ... coupled with the widespread rejection of PPSelect at so many lounges, this is going to seriously diminish PP for me.
kennycrudup is offline  
Old May 28, 19, 9:43 am
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: UA PP, AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott LTPP, Avis President's Club
Posts: 1,316
Originally Posted by mia View Post
Understood, because the membership rules allow you to pay for extra guests. This will be different, because the membership will be invalid at that location. Priority Pass handled this when United Clubs accepted some, but not all, types of memberships.
That was the origination of Priority Pass Select, right? So I guess this would be Priority Pass Select Select

I would skip the SFO Centurion and go to a PP Restaurant. I figure it "helped" AMEX with crowding. I guess that was too expensive. I'll still do that with my Chase Priority Pass membership (for now).
Boraxo likes this.
JHake10 is offline  
Old May 28, 19, 9:44 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: DCA
Posts: 828
This seems like an over correction to a problem. I have no doubt that people are abusing the system, but it seems easily to rectify (limit transactions per day/week/month/individual facilities, etc...)

In my opinion, this is a marked degradation to the program.
Spiff likes this.
billycwhatup is offline  
Old May 28, 19, 10:04 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Danville, CA, USA;
Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, Marriott LT Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Explorist & IHG Plat Amb
Posts: 12,030
Won't bother me, I have PP cards from 3 issuers. I will just plan to cancel the Amex card prior to paying the next AF, and will be sure to mention this enhancement.
scfw0x0f and chitink like this.
Boraxo is offline  
Old May 28, 19, 10:12 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: YVR
Posts: 102
Well, as of now nothing on Canada PP thru Amex but am assuming that is about to change...I've only used this benefit once at Denver but will say it was a nice change vs. lounge
theranj is online now  
Old May 28, 19, 10:15 am
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: UA PP, AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott LTPP, Avis President's Club
Posts: 1,316
Originally Posted by theranj View Post
Well, as of now nothing on Canada PP thru Amex but am assuming that is about to change...I've only used this benefit once at Denver but will say it was a nice change vs. lounge
I was going to put [USA] in the post title to avoid confusion. However, the USA changes were confirmed after the Hong Kong changes. I'm guess this is a world wide cost cutting measure.
mattdk88 likes this.
JHake10 is offline  
Old May 28, 19, 10:29 am
  #13  
Marriott 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Programs: DL Diamond; SPG Platinum; sometimes other things too
Posts: 3,599
Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf View Post
I'll be using my Chase issued PP as long as Chase doesn't do the same.
Can anyone remind me how to distinguish my CSR PP card from my Amex Plat PP card? IIRC the Chase one has 16 digits while the Amex one has fewer digits?

I mostly use the app to get into the lounges now anyway (which I highly recommend for anyone who isn't, btw; one less card to carry and dig out of a wallet or bag while running around the airport) and if my formulation above is correct, it appears I am using my Amex PP card in the app, so I guess I'll have to figure out how to set that up for the Chase PP card instead.

That is, unless Chase follows suit and renders the whole thing moot.
bgriff is offline  
Old May 28, 19, 10:43 am
  #14  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 83,815
Originally Posted by JHake10 View Post
They could reject the the transaction. They don't do that today for extra guest at a lounge though. For example, I can show up to a lounge with three people. The lounge agent will gladly swipe my membership card. I'll then get a bill for that one extra guest.
I would hope that this is the way it works. It would be very awkward to sign a bill for an extra guest at the door.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old May 28, 19, 11:23 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: ATL
Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Posts: 9,984
Originally Posted by bgriff View Post
Can anyone remind me how to distinguish my CSR PP card from my Amex Plat PP card? IIRC the Chase one has 16 digits while the Amex one has fewer digits?

I mostly use the app to get into the lounges now anyway (which I highly recommend for anyone who isn't, btw; one less card to carry and dig out of a wallet or bag while running around the airport) and if my formulation above is correct, it appears I am using my Amex PP card in the app, so I guess I'll have to figure out how to set that up for the Chase PP card instead.

That is, unless Chase follows suit and renders the whole thing moot.
Only a single data point, but I labeled my PP cards when I got them.

Amex PP card has 11 digits, formatted as 3 digits, space, 7 digits, space, 1 digit). Mine starts with a 1.
CSR PP card has 16 digits all run together, no spaces. Mine starts with a 7.

I always get these confused with the changing rules. Am I correct now that:
- Amex Plat-supplied PP gets you+2 into the lounge, but as of August no non-lounge stuff?
- CSR-supplied PP gets you+2 into lounge, and as of right now still valid for non-lounge stuff?

It's not just restaurants that are going away. I use my PP every now and then for a Minute Suite which was a very nice thing to have.
Statman likes this.
gooselee is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread