Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AMEX Priority Pass will exclude Restaurants (August 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Priority Pass will exclude Restaurants (August 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2019, 8:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by RedElmo

Im waiting till my annual fee is up then I’m going to negotiate. I’m willing to cancel.
The best way to do it is call retention when annual fee for second year is up, get a bunch of MR points as the result of a retention offer but still cancel anyways after a couple weeks and sign up for a different card that has another welcome bonus
Old Jul 19, 2019, 9:32 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by MasterGeek

The best way to do it is call retention when annual fee for second year is up, get a bunch of MR points as the result of a retention offer but still cancel anyways after a couple weeks and sign up for a different card that has another welcome bonus
You can’t do that with AMEX. They remember you.
dw, Statman, Diplomatico and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat

Are you an astronaut that flew on Endeavor? Penultimate mission?
No, but I did watch the launch of STS-134 from the NASA causeway, just before I signed up for FT. I chose STS-134 as my username because, well, it's flight related, albeit a different type of flight than what we usually talk about here on FT. So yeah, that's the (short) story of how I picked my username.

Last edited by STS-134; Jul 22, 2019 at 10:31 am
Old Jul 23, 2019, 7:58 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Not that I need to jump on the bandwagon, but as a Centurian member this loss is really aggravating. I used but didn't abuse the privilege, I mostly used it on either an inbound or an outbound SFO flight for a Giants Dugout burger. I've even timed my flights so I would either leave after lunch or come back at dinnertime! I used it in SYD a week ago, lots of good options there, too.

When that article was posted about the military guy that was really kind of abusing it - getting food to take home, etc, some of my peers and I said: "Well, that will be the end of Priority Pass restaurants."

I used to love the Centurion Lounge at SFO but it's starting to feel a little long in the tooth. I love the wine options there in the beginning but the last few times it's pretty crowded with lots of "take everything not nailed down" families and the food seems to be the same thing every time I stick my head in there.

They will pour a nice drink, however, so I do appreciate that...
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by DMSFCA
Not that I need to jump on the bandwagon, but as a Centurian member this loss is really aggravating. I used but didn't abuse the privilege, I mostly used it on either an inbound or an outbound SFO flight for a Giants Dugout burger. I've even timed my flights so I would either leave after lunch or come back at dinnertime! I used it in SYD a week ago, lots of good options there, too.

When that article was posted about the military guy that was really kind of abusing it - getting food to take home, etc, some of my peers and I said: "Well, that will be the end of Priority Pass restaurants."
The proper way to deal with this is to get rid of the abusers, not to end the privilege for everyone. Like, maybe a max of 10-15 times per year and 3 times per week.

Originally Posted by DMSFCA
I used to love the Centurion Lounge at SFO but it's starting to feel a little long in the tooth. I love the wine options there in the beginning but the last few times it's pretty crowded with lots of "take everything not nailed down" families and the food seems to be the same thing every time I stick my head in there.
Yeah the menu isn't rotated that frequently. Sometimes it just gets tiring, and I go out to either Yankee Pier or SF Giants Clubhouse (the ahi tuna burger there is pretty good). But since the Centurion isn't too appealing and I've lost the PP restaurants as of 8/1 and Amex is trying to make the airline fee benefit as annoying as possible to use, well, the best way to make your displeasure known to a multi billion dollar company is to cancel the card. I'm definitely considering doing this when my AF comes due.
Happy and 8MiHi like this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:55 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Sign was out this week at Capers PDX indicating that AMEX-issued PP would no longer be accepted as of 1-Aug-2019. Came here and scanned 350 posts on the subject! If I hadn't already canceled my AMEX seven years ago, I would now.
MasterGeek and cuthroat like this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 2:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots

You can’t do that with AMEX. They remember you.
I did that with AMEX. No adverse action
Old Jul 24, 2019, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
Sign was out this week at Capers PDX indicating that AMEX-issued PP would no longer be accepted as of 1-Aug-2019. Came here and scanned 350 posts on the subject! If I hadn't already canceled my AMEX seven years ago, I would now.
For PDX-based travelers like myself, this really hurts....first the Capers in concourse D quick accepting PP and now concourse C. The cutting of the Ameriprise first year free deal is what really killed the deal for me, but this just reinforces my decision to not keep my AMEX when my year is up. I have to wonder how much $$ Capers will be losing starting August 1st....PP customers had to have been a significant percentage of their sales. I got the $325 Alaska Lounge membership so now I don't have to worry about that pesky "No PP" sign anymore...not to mention having access to nearly all Admirals Clubs....seemed like a good deal.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 5:09 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I have to wonder how much $$ Capers will be losing starting August 1st- PP customers had to have been a significant percentage of their sales.
I asked my server about this- she was saying (and it seemed to be true when I'd eat there before the PP benefit started) that they got along OK w/o the PP business, considering their location and the wine sales; didn't seem to be a lot of mourning going on.

That being said, I've also heard other servers steer people toward the CSR(? the other PP-enabled card), but even they think the days are numbered on that card as well.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
I asked my server about this- she was saying (and it seemed to be true when I'd eat there before the PP benefit started) that they got along OK w/o the PP business, considering their location and the wine sales; didn't seem to be a lot of mourning going on.

That being said, I've also heard other servers steer people toward the CSR(? the other PP-enabled card), but even they think the days are numbered on that card as well.
Interesting.....yeah, I enjoyed it while it lasted, particularly when the other Caper's allowed PP since it was basically a mini-grocery store....lol....in the back of my mind, it didn't seem sustainable and I think it will be a matter of time before Chase follows along and the entire PP program drops the restaurant benefit.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 5:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by STS-134
The proper way to deal with this is to get rid of the abusers, not to end the privilege for everyone. Like, maybe a max of 10-15 times per year and 3 times per week.
Indeed. Max it out at something like 6x per year. Still a nice benefit for almost all of us.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
Originally Posted by dhuey
Indeed. Max it out at something like 6x per year. Still a nice benefit for almost all of us.
6X would have been a great benefit. Too bad PP did not start with a limited offering that Amex could have worked with.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
This seems to cover USA centurion too. Has anyone seen details one way or another about UK centurion or any euro centurion?
Old Jul 26, 2019, 7:04 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Question about transferring Priority Pass to another name has been moved:

Amex Centurion and Platinum Priority Pass benefit
Old Jul 27, 2019, 10:22 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by BobbySteel
This seems to cover USA centurion too. Has anyone seen details one way or another about UK centurion or any euro centurion?
I get the impression this is a more global change, however I am not certain.

Disappointing, I departed STL yesterday on United and there are no lounge options for PP at that end of the terminal. That is the only airport where I use this benefit.

My guess is the other credit card companies will follow AMEX on this and eventually PP will just drop the restaurants from their program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.