Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AMEX Priority Pass will exclude Restaurants (August 2019)

AMEX Priority Pass will exclude Restaurants (August 2019)

Old Jul 11, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: MARRIOTT TITANIUM / HILTON GOLD / UA SILVER / AMEX PLAT
It seems a small amount of non-lounge experiences will still be offered.

mia, Xlr and cuthroat like this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
I rarely used this, but I do hate to see all the features going away for the Platinum card. I hope they have plans to add some enhancements to it in the future. We've lost Marriott lounge access, PP restaurant, Boingo, and now the gift card credit workaround in the last year or so. I understand that some of those things were not advertised features, but it still gives the card less value, and the annual fee certainly is not going to decrease as a result.
tstauck likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 1:54 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Discussion of the reduction in the number of guests that American Express Platinum with pay for at Plaza Premium lounges has been moved. This is a published benefit of American Express cards issued in Canada, but not in the USA, perhaps because Plaza Premium has no domestic USA lounges. Nonetheless, Plaza Premium seems to accept USA-issued cards.

Amex Premium Plaza Lounge going to one guest without charge
Old Jul 12, 2019, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Just got my PP email saying the non lounge experience has been removed effective Aug 1. Of course, the subject line says "change to your membership plan PLUS find out about new lounges added..."
Old Jul 13, 2019, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Got the email too. Rather weak to give only 2 weeks notice for such a major change, but there is the exciting announcement of a new lounge at Aeropuerto Internacional de Rosario Islas Malvinas
tstauck likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 5:38 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Is the digital card the same number? Mine follows neither pattern below

Originally Posted by gooselee
Only a single data point, but I labeled my PP cards when I got them.

Amex PP card has 11 digits, formatted as 3 digits, space, 7 digits, space, 1 digit). Mine starts with a 1.
CSR PP card has 16 digits all run together, no spaces. Mine starts with a 7.

I always get these confused with the changing rules. Am I correct now that:
- Amex Plat-supplied PP gets you+2 into the lounge, but as of August no non-lounge stuff?
- CSR-supplied PP gets you+2 into lounge, and as of right now still valid for non-lounge stuff?

It's not just restaurants that are going away. I use my PP every now and then for a Minute Suite which was a very nice thing to have.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by JHake10
I just got an email from Priority Pass noting restaurants won't be included come Aug 1. You'd think AMEX would send an email.
I received the same email though it did not reference any PP account (I have 3) but my assumption was that it was for Amex as none of the other issuers have killed this benefit.

Amex doesn't want to advertise that another card perk is disappearing. PP wants to make sure there is no confusion when Amex customers get stiffed at the door, hence the email.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 1:22 pm

I got the PP Amex Email. So far radio silence from Chase so it'll shift to it......
Old Jul 17, 2019, 1:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Very disappointed in AMEX for this change.

Will definitely make me reconsider my membership in the next year, especially if the restaurant program with PP continues its expansion.

Still want to reach out to AMEX directly to express my displeasure.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by beckoa

Will definitely make me reconsider my membership in the next year, especially if the restaurant program with PP continues its expansion.

I wonder if it's worth writing to them. Maybe they'll toss your comment in the trash, but then again, if you cancel next year, you can cite your previous comments and how they weren't addressed as a reason for cancellation.

I'm hitting my Amex PP cards for over $150 worth of charges between now and the end of the month. Normally I wouldn't try to run the bill up as much as possible, but I'm pissed at Amex (even though this doesn't really affect me because I also have a CSR). I just paid my AF 2 months ago, but if this and the new restrictions (not new official restrictions, but new practical ones) on airline GCs continue, then I may cancel next year. First UA discontinued its gift registry, and I switched to WN, and bought GCs in January. And then WN GCs no longer work either. Jumping through so many hoops to use benefits is getting ridiculous especially when Chase offers a travel credit for ANY travel expense.
Happy, cuthroat and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 5:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots

How would you complain to AMEX ? Write a complain via the CFPB ?

Has anyone else been successful in wrangling some kind of compensation?

Last edited by MasterGeek; Jul 19, 2019 at 6:01 am
Old Jul 19, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist

Originally Posted by STS-134
I wonder if it's worth writing to them. Maybe they'll toss your comment in the trash, but then again, if you cancel next year, you can cite your previous comments and how they weren't addressed as a reason for cancellation.

I'm hitting my Amex PP cards for over $150 worth of charges between now and the end of the month. Normally I wouldn't try to run the bill up as much as possible, but I'm pissed at Amex (even though this doesn't really affect me because I also have a CSR). I just paid my AF 2 months ago, but if this and the new restrictions (not new official restrictions, but new practical ones) on airline GCs continue, then I may cancel next year. First UA discontinued its gift registry, and I switched to WN, and bought GCs in January. And then WN GCs no longer work either. Jumping through so many hoops to use benefits is getting ridiculous especially when Chase offers a travel credit for ANY travel expense.
Originally Posted by MasterGeek

How would you complain to AMEX ? Write a complain via the CFPB ?

Has anyone else been successful in wrangling some kind of compensation?
I thought I read a few weeks back when this was announced that someone called and complained and got offered 6500 MR points. Has anyone else heard that or had any luck?
Old Jul 19, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by jphripjah
I thought I read a few weeks back when this was announced that someone called and complained and got offered 6500 MR points. Has anyone else heard that or had any luck?
Im waiting till my annual fee is up then Im going to negotiate. Im willing to cancel.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by RedElmo

Im waiting till my annual fee is up then I’m going to negotiate. I’m willing to cancel.
Yep, that's the way to do it. I've said this before many times, mainly in this forum and sometimes in the Chase forum: do not even bother calling and trying to negotiate unless you are willing to walk if you don't get any retention offer. Threatening to cancel if you aren't offered a retention package and then failing to follow through if they refuse to give you one through just devalues future threats made by you or anyone else. I've never called Amex and threatened to cancel because I wasn't at the point where I'd be willing to actually walk if I received nothing. But with all of the changes to the Amex airline fee program that make it more difficult to use the credits, and now this, I think I'm likely to be at that point when my AF comes due again.
cuthroat and IndyHoosier like this.

Last edited by STS-134; Jul 22, 2019 at 10:19 am Reason: typo: missing word "through"
Old Jul 19, 2019, 2:50 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by STS-134
Yep, that's the way to do it. I've said this before many times, mainly in this forum and sometimes in the Chase forum: do not even bother calling and trying to negotiate unless you are willing to walk if you don't get any retention offer. Threatening to cancel if you aren't offered a retention package and then failing to follow if they refuse to give you one through just devalues future threats made by you or anyone else. I've never called Amex and threatened to cancel because I wasn't at the point where I'd be willing to actually walk if I received nothing. But with all of the changes to the Amex airline fee program that make it more difficult to use the credits, and now this, I think I'm likely to be at that point when my AF comes due again.
Are you an astronaut that flew on Endeavor? Penultimate mission?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.