Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AMEX Priority Pass will exclude Restaurants (August 2019)

AMEX Priority Pass will exclude Restaurants (August 2019)

Old Jun 21, 2019, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Or those of us that have multiple PP cards will not change their spending patterns but rather change their PP card. I know I'll only travel with my Chase issued PP card post Aug 1.

Agree. Actually switched to Chase PP already. (Still carry my Centurion issued PP just in case)
Old Jun 21, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by RedElmo

limit 10 per year!
There are other possible solutions too. Maybe you must validate your flight in advance on the PP app otherwise charging it to your membership will be declined. Maybe 1 use per day (if that's not already a thing). Maybe even 1 per month? Maybe frequent users may get "audited" and must show proof of flights or have their membership canceled? Maybe the partner credit card (in this case AMEX) already has the data for those using it correctly?

Maybe there are better ways.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by sdix
Agree. Actually switched to Chase PP already. (Still carry my Centurion issued PP just in case)
In case of what?

Regards
Old Jun 22, 2019, 7:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Was anyone else able to get compensation ?
Old Jun 22, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Was anyone else able to get compensation ?
I don't understand why anyone would expect compensation for this - embarrassing if one even considers calling to ask for it, IMO.

People play the points game for "free" travel or upgraded travel, I get it and I participate in that game....begging for meals is just sad.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
I don't understand why anyone would expect compensation for this - embarrassing if one even considers calling to ask for it, IMO.

People play the points game for "free" travel or upgraded travel, I get it and I participate in that game....begging for meals is just sad.
Can't like this post enough!
Old Jun 22, 2019, 9:07 am
Suspended

Well, it is meals at a airport so.......
Old Jun 23, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)

Yet AMEX did widely give compensation when they pulled out of Admirals club access a few years ago. This isn’t as severe (reduced PP benefits, not eliminated) but I can see the question being asked. It will probably be denied... but some will ask.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry

For two reasons

1.) This is how consumers have been trained

2.) They did take away a benefit that people paid a hefty AF towards, and may now be unable to use the product as intended
Old Jun 23, 2019, 9:13 am

When you get any credit card, you are told that everything about the card is subject to change. I feel like Amex did the fair thing with me when I dropped Ascend. They gave me a pro-rated refund, they let me keep Honors gold for the rest of the year (or maybe that was Hilton's sole decision), and they did nothing to try to claw back the Honors points I had been given as a sign-up bonus.

I don't see how a person can reasonably ask Amex to reimburse them for damages when the change hasn't even taken effect yet. And Amex provided advance notification.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 8:07 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by amanuensis
When you get any credit card, you are told that everything about the card is subject to change. I feel like Amex did the fair thing with me when I dropped Ascend. They gave me a pro-rated refund, they let me keep Honors gold for the rest of the year (or maybe that was Hilton's sole decision), and they did nothing to try to claw back the Honors points I had been given as a sign-up bonus.

I don't see how a person can reasonably ask Amex to reimburse them for damages when the change hasn't even taken effect yet. And Amex provided advance notification.
Problem is now AMEX threatens to claw back welcome bonus if you cancel or downgrade within the first year of opening an account.

So annual fee paid, benefits downgraded a couple months later => just sick it up ?
Old Jun 25, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
Clearly the utilization rates with the dining option changed the expected cost to Amex.
I would be very surprised if this doesn't affect other CC issuer's approach to offering PP eventually as well.
It would have been nice if they could have worked out some limitations on the Dining option to make the numbers work.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 6:52 pm

There was no reference of the Priority Pass change on my 24 June AMEX Marriott statement.

Other people have mentioned they had a message on their statement?
Old Jun 26, 2019, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by Firebird2k6
There was no reference of the Priority Pass change on my 24 June AMEX Marriott statement.

Other people have mentioned they had a message on their statement?
I had a message on my June statement. "Effective 8/1/19, Priority Pass non-lounge airport experience credits will no longer be available to Platinum® Card Members, except for select locations. Visit americanexpress.com/findalounge for a list of available lounges."
Diplomatico and cuthroat like this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 7:30 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by eeflyer
I had a message on my June statement. "Effective 8/1/19, Priority Pass non-lounge airport experience credits will no longer be available to Platinum® Card Members, except for select locations. Visit americanexpress.com/findalounge for a list of available lounges."
Which leads to the obvious question - which "select locations" provide "non-lounge airport experience credits"? I'm going to guess the Minute Suites locations but I'm not really interested enough to do the legwork.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.