Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AMEX Priority Pass will exclude Restaurants (August 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Priority Pass will exclude Restaurants (August 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2019, 6:59 pm

I fly often at STL. Had what may be my last beer at the Pasta House today.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 7:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Now that the devaluation is official and written in cardholders June statements, has anyone been able to call and wrangle some type of compensation from AMEX ?
Old Jun 15, 2019, 10:14 am
Suspended

I contacted AMEX several times by phone and chat to ask for a compensation due to the devaluation benefits and the agents have been pretty stingy and defensive about providing any type of compensation (in points or statement credit).

This is going to severly taint my the perception of high customer satisfaction and service recovery standards that I had about AMEX
Old Jun 15, 2019, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
I contacted AMEX several times by phone and chat to ask for a compensation due to the devaluation benefits and the agents have been pretty stingy and defensive about providing any type of compensation (in points or statement credit).

This is going to severly taint my the perception of high customer satisfaction and service recovery standards that I had about AMEX
What level of compensation are you looking for? Seriously. I mean devaluations and benefits going away are never fun but what would make it right FOR YOU? 10k MR? 20k?

I'm not going to call them about it, both because it likely won't matter but also because it's no skin off my back, I'll just start using my Chase issued PP.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 2:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
What level of compensation are you looking for? Seriously. I mean devaluations and benefits going away are never fun but what would make it right FOR YOU? 10k MR? 20k?

I'm not going to call them about it, both because it likely won't matter but also because it's no skin off my back, I'll just start using my Chase issued PP.
I was hoping for 10K points or a $100 statement credit. But since they refused, I'll just get my compensation by churning and gaming AMEX welcome bonuses, statement credits, card upgrades/downgrades harder.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I thought these plan T&C clearly have "may change at short notice" clauses built in?
Old Jun 15, 2019, 6:15 pm

I was given a pro-rated refund of the membership fee on my Ascend card after going back to the free basic Hilton CC. That seems to me to be what is appropriate for Amex to do for people who no longer see the value proposition in having one of their premium cards.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 9:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Super Mario
While it's a good look at it, I also think it is a bit deceiving to imply you are left option-less at only 3 airports. If you aren't flying Delta, 40% of previously covered airports, now leave you with no option. Some of us also vastly prefer the food options at the restaurants vs the lounges.
How was mia’s post deceptive? He said 8 of 20, and added the part about Delta Sky Clubs, which obviously doesn’t do you any good if you’re not flying Delta. Was he also supposed to explain that 8/20=40%?
Old Jun 18, 2019, 9:14 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by dhuey

How was mia’s post deceptive? He said 8 of 20, and added the part about Delta Sky Clubs, which obviously doesn’t do you any good if you’re not flying Delta. Was he also supposed to explain that 8/20=40%?
Because it's more than numbers, even though the numbers are still bad. My home airport would be seen as "covered" on this list, but the food options at Airspace are very limited. Meanwhile, the Bar Symon credit gets you a choice of anything for $28. For an example, for breakfast, I might get an omelet with potatoes and a cocktail. With airspace, I can get a breakfast sandwich. Again, that is an example at a "covered" airport. There's still the fact that some airports leave you with no choice at all now. Personally, I completely understand the business case for restrictions. Limit guests, visits per year, outgoing only, etc. Leaving the customer without any option from a card marketed as a premium travel card is a bad move.
Boraxo and spc354 like this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:44 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Super Mario
....Leaving the customer without any option ....
Removing a preferred option is not the same as leaving someone without any option.

I think that if Priority Pass had partnered with restaurants ONLY at airports without Priority Pass lounges, card issuers would see this as a way to increase network coverage. When Priority Pass started adding restaurants IN ADDITION TO lounges AT THE SAME AIRPORT it signaled a new business model that American Express isn't willing to support financially.

To my knowledge Priority Pass has not acknowledged American Express' announcement. There are several ways that this can play out over the coming months, I wouldn't form any opinion this soon.
8MiHi likes this.

Last edited by mia; Jun 19, 2019 at 7:52 am
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:12 am
Suspended

Finally got my compensation. The AMEX CSR agent agreed to credit 10K MR points to for my Biz Plat card due to devaluation of the PP benefit.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by mia
Let's put this in perspective:

THIS list from late May shows Priority Pass restaurants at 20 domestic USA airports.

Twelve of those airports have an actual Priority Pass lounge, or a Centurion (some under development), Escape, or Airspace lounge. Many have more than one.

This leave eight lounges with no coverage. Five of those have Delta Skyclubs.
Many of us don’t have access to Amex, DL or aspire lounges as we have no need to pay high fees for Amex premium cards. And even though I have a UC membership there are times when I prefer the restaurants at SFO (ie mealtime) to the lounge.

I expect amex will see some attrition to chase and other options (ie CNB) from those who like the restaurants. CNB also allows unlimited lounge guests.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 5:41 am
mia

Originally Posted by Boraxo
.... amex will see some attrition to chase and other options (ie CNB) from those who like the restaurants. CNB also allows unlimited lounge guests.
Agreed. Part of the art of running a business is to drive unprofitable customers to your competitors -and- have the customers think it was their own idea.
dw, Steve M, dhuey and 6 others like this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:27 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by mia
Another perspective: Priority Pass chose to expand their lounge access service to include restaurants, and they are passing through the cost to the card issuers.
I’m not sure PPass is the culprit - or at least deserves 100% of the blame - here in this situation.

My take is this: PPass sets a “per visit” allowance per member per facility. In talking with restaurants it seems they get ~$20-24 for every “$28” visit (no idea what the real number is or how it varies but throw these numbers out for illustration). Anyways AMEX seems to be objecting to the “non-lounge” experience here which strikes me as odd.

Be it a lounge, be it a restaurant, be it a whatever, PPass - and presumably AX/Citi/Chase/etc. - are STILL paying ~$20 per visit to one of PPass’s vendors regardless of what the PPass holder does or orders. Therefore why would the bank care about the “kind” of establishment it is? In other words, is paying $20 for an AF lounge visit at IAH really that different than paying $20 for a restaurant visit at IAH for AX?

From my limited perspective the REAL issue here is utilization. Sure $20 is $20 is $20 but if PPass members are more likely to hit up a restaurant at an airport when they would NOT have hit up a PPass lounge (FWIW I would probably not go to the AF/KL lounge at IAH BUT would go to the restaurants there) then you’ve got a utilization issue where it becomes $20 x [ however many EXTRA visits due ONLY to the fact the vendor’s a restaurant ] comes into play.

Disappointed to see AX take this approach and can’t but help wonder if there was a middle road available (I.e. allowing restaurants visits at airports where no other CL or PPass lounge option existed).
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:31 am
mia

Originally Posted by J.Edward
.... AMEX seems to be objecting to the “non-lounge” experience here which strikes me as odd.

....why would the bank care about the “kind” of establishment it is?
I don't think they do care. The public reason that a company uses to justify a decision need not bear any relationship to the private reasons that motivated that decision.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.