Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AMEX Priority Pass will exclude Restaurants (August 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Priority Pass will exclude Restaurants (August 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2019, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by Happy
What are you talking about? Dont you have your PP card swiped each time you visit a lounge or a restaurant BEFORE you are admitted or start to order your stuff?

The server does NOT need to ask, the system would tell the server when the PP card is swiped, whether the cardholder has the benefit or not. Very basic and simple - your AMEX PP card would show NOT eligible to receive benefit once the change comes into effect.
For things like minute suites, yeah. For restaurants, I usually just do it at the end.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 5:54 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by scubadu
Ummm... No. Was just at Bobby Van's in JFK, had a great meal. No request for PP card at all until handling the bill, post meal.
Thats been my experience as well at a number of restaurants- I always tell them before ordering that I’ll be using my PP but they usually don’t take my card until they present the bill at the end.

The only restaurant where they swiped my card at the beginning (upon arrival, actually, before even being seated) was PF Chang’s at LAX.
cuthroat likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by dw
Thats been my experience as well at a number of restaurants- I always tell them before ordering that I’ll be using my PP but they usually don’t take my card until they present the bill at the end.

The only restaurant where they swiped my card at the beginning (upon arrival, actually, before even being seated) was PF Chang’s at LAX.
Yep, same here. Mentioned we'd be using PP and he said, "no problem, I'll get if from you at the end."

Regards
Old Jun 8, 2019, 7:35 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by dw
I attempted once to use my PP at PF Chang's at LAX. One hour wait. No thank you.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Ummm... No. Was just at Bobby Van's in JFK, had a great meal. No request for PP card at all until handling the bill, post meal.
I haven't been to Bobby Vans, but that's the opposite of how I've had it handled. Timberline in Denver, and the restaurant in Tampa, both I've been to multiple times they always ask for the card, # of guests, and print off the little slip and put it in front of you in a little glass before ordering. YMMV based on restaurant I suppose.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
YMMV based on restaurant I suppose.
And that is exactly why this is going to be a nightmare for everyone if it's just Amex that is different...

Regards
dw, Boraxo, Cardboard55 and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 11:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
And that is exactly why this is going to be a nightmare for everyone if it's just Amex that is different...

Regards
Could be a problem, but perhaps PP will insist that all restaurants ask if the customer is using PP at the start. Then the ineligibility will be clear before there’s a problem.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 2:18 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by dhuey

Could be a problem, but perhaps PP will insist that all restaurants ask if the customer is using PP at the start. Then the ineligibility will be clear before there’s a problem.
Or.....all restaurants will accept the Priority Pass for the credit, Priority Pass will pass along the charge to AMEX, and AMEX will charge the customer's AMEX card.
chrisny2 and cuthroat like this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 6:04 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
We are churners and travel hackers. The point is to NOT PAY real money for business class flights or hotel rooms costing more than $200 but still get the experience. We don't have that kind if cash lying around anyways.
Please speak for yourself. There are lots of people on FT who can afford and do pay for business class flights and hotels that are several hundred dollars per night.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Please speak for yourself. There are lots of people on FT who can afford and do pay for business class flights and hotels that are several hundred dollars per night.
Agreed. What a ridiculous assertion...

Regards
Statman, coffee18, Gasolin and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by dhuey
I really think you are expecting too much from waitstaff. It is very difficult do drive the type of consistency you are talking about through waitstaff at all manner of different dining establishments

Regards
Old Jun 9, 2019, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
In addition, there are cases where it's worthwhile to choose an award itinerary with higher taxes/fees than alternatives. It's not entirely black and white.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by MasterGeek

We are churners and travel hackers. The point is to NOT PAY real money for business class flights or hotel rooms costing more than $200 but still get the experience. We don't have that kind if cash lying around anyways.
Ha, not a chance. I use my Platinum card for the Fine Hotels program and International Airline Program, neither of which I use points for. The Platinum card is one of the worst for churning anyway, a gold or everyday preferred is better.
​​​​​
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Or.....all restaurants will accept the Priority Pass for the credit, Priority Pass will pass along the charge to AMEX, and AMEX will charge the customer's AMEX card.
I expect this to be the correct answer. The procedure won't change until you get your Amex bill with PP restaurant charges on it.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 7:02 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
I would be very mad if the Platinum was my only PP. My home international airport only has a PP restaurant. No Centurion, no Delta Sky Club, no other PP lounges. I understand this may not be a widespread scenario. Personally, I find the restaurant option to by far be the most practical use for a home airport departure, where I'm not arriving super early to sit in a lounge. That entree and cocktail is a great way to kickoff a trip. If there were limits or restrictions put into place, I'd be able to live with that. Here, they left someone like me with zero option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.