Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AMEX Priority Pass will exclude Restaurants (August 2019)

AMEX Priority Pass will exclude Restaurants (August 2019)

Old Jun 5, 2019, 4:45 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by Firebird2k6
This is beyond irritating. I just switched to an AMEX premium card from the sapphire because it better aligned with a brand I frequent. I closed the Sapphire TWO days ago not knowing of this change.
Honestly the Chase Sapphire Reserve and Amex Platinum are excellent complements. I dont know why you wouldnt just keep both.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 8:54 am

This is beyond irritating. I just switched to an AMEX premium card from the sapphire because it better aligned with a brand I frequent. I closed the Sapphire TWO days ago not knowing of this change.

If they're kicking me out of the only offering in my city they should be granting me access to the Centurion here in lieu.

I called AMEX just now and the guy on the phone said they have "no official reports" on his end substantiating this but he can see all the news articles. He opened a ticket on my behalf to get an answer and possible compensation.
You should be able to reinstate the Chase card if you want to (I'm assuming the CSR). I believe you have 30 days from the time of closing to call Chase and request reinstatement of the account.

I am a little surprised that Amex is doing this across the board (I've got the Hilton Aspire card) and not telling anyone (I've not gotten an email/letter yet). Or is this only one some cards? (The blogs seem to indicate it's all Amex cards with PP)
Old Jun 5, 2019, 9:10 am

Since I went back down to the free Hilton Amex card, I received an e-mail from Hilton telling me that they would keep me at Gold for this year (I have only earned Silver passed on stays so far this year). And just this morning, Amex sent me an e-mail telling me that they have increased my credit limit. So dropping the Ascend card has been a VERY soft landing.
Adelphos likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 3:44 pm

If they're kicking me out of the only offering in my city they should be granting me access to the Centurion here in lieu.

I called AMEX just now and the guy on the phone said they have "no official reports" on his end substantiating this but he can see all the news articles. He opened a ticket on my behalf to get an answer and possible compensation.
I guess you did one of the hotel cards rather than platinum. The platinum you could make do with Delta and Centurion lounges. But if not, the lounge benefit just took a big hit.

Im concerned the CSR will follow suit. It doesnt make a whole lot of sense that PP select would have varying levels among different cards unless theyre going to break out new names. In general, I was really banking on that benefit expanding, not contracting. In my home airport (Atlanta) there are only 3 priority pass options with the only true lounge being in the international terminal. Take two of those away AND take away the option of any future restaurant deals, it becomes a pretty worthless benefit.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 5:10 pm

Programs: *A G, HHonors Gold, Marriot Gold, Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by Taco1933

I guess you did one of the hotel cards rather than platinum. The platinum you could make do with Delta and Centurion lounges. But if not, the lounge benefit just took a big hit.

Im concerned the CSR will follow suit. It doesnt make a whole lot of sense that PP select would have varying levels among different cards unless theyre going to break out new names. In general, I was really banking on that benefit expanding, not contracting. In my home airport (Atlanta) there are only 3 priority pass options with the only true lounge being in the international terminal. Take two of those away AND take away the option of any future restaurant deals, it becomes a pretty worthless benefit.
from where I see it, it doesnt really make sense for CSR to remove it. They dont have to support something like Amexs Global Lounge Collection (and Centurion Lounges), so should give their cardmembers the entirety of PP offerings. I hope UK Plats dont lose this perk.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by itsilyas

from where I see it, it doesnt really make sense for CSR to remove it. They dont have to support something like Amexs Global Lounge Collection (and Centurion Lounges), so should give their cardmembers the entirety of PP offerings. I hope UK Plats dont lose this perk.
Id hope youre right, but it just seems a bit weird/confusing that priority pass select would have two different sets of benefits. The participating restaurants would screw that up regularly.

Id agree that CSR needs as much help as it can get as PP is no Delta/Centurion lounge benefit. But Im afraid either (1) theyll adopt the same cost saving measure as Amex or (2) this is a change being forced by priority pass that is being enforced as contracts expire. Either way, if CSR goes the same route, Ill switch to platinum.

Last edited by Taco1933; Jun 5, 2019 at 6:37 pm
Old Jun 7, 2019, 5:34 am

Unlimited airport restaurant / bar benefit is not sustainable, no matter the card issuer. Reason is the airline and airport employees that used the benefit sometimes multiple times per day, as well as some travelers that used the benefit in multiple locations same day, or too often. In my experience, these restaurants / bars never asked for a boarding pass. This was a poorly designed benefit and doomed to fail from the start.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 5:40 am

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by shoodawg
Unlimited airport restaurant / bar benefit is not sustainable, no matter the card issuer. Reason is the airline and airport employees that used the benefit sometimes multiple times per day, as well as some travelers that used the benefit in multiple locations same day, or too often. In my experience, these restaurants / bars never asked for a boarding pass. This was a poorly designed benefit and doomed to fail from the start.
I agree it should be a limited number of restaurant visits. 10 a year.
like the Hilton ascend card. That one is limited 10 period, visits anywhere.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 5:40 am

Programs: *A G, HHonors Gold, Marriot Gold, Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by RedElmo

I agree it should be a limited number of restaurant visits. 10 a year.
or as simple as requiring boarding pass verification.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
It's probably a lost cause, but if we wanted to provide feedback to Amex on this change, how would we do that? A normal email? A letter? Call the Platinum concierge?
Old Jun 7, 2019, 4:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Id hope youre right, but it just seems a bit weird/confusing that priority pass select would have two different sets of benefits. The participating restaurants would screw that up regularly.
What would restaurants screw up? Wouldnt the Amex-issued PP card be rejected if the restaurant tries to charge the card, while it would work for a Chase-issued PP card (assuming no change in Chases policy)?
Old Jun 7, 2019, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey

What would restaurants screw up? Wouldnt the Amex-issued PP card be rejected if the restaurant tries to charge the card, while it would work for a Chase-issued PP card (assuming no change in Chases policy)?
A mix of servers telling all priority pass select customers that it isnt accepted and AmEx people not finding out that its rejected until their card is declined. Both would annoy people.

I just dont expect the average server to know to ask whether the pp is Amex based or something else. Just seems like asking for a headache.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A mix of servers telling all priority pass select customers that it isnt accepted and AmEx people not finding out that its rejected until their card is declined. Both would annoy people.

I just dont expect the average server to know to ask whether the pp is Amex based or something else. Just seems like asking for a headache.
What are you talking about? Dont you have your PP card swiped each time you visit a lounge or a restaurant BEFORE you are admitted or start to order your stuff?

The server does NOT need to ask, the system would tell the server when the PP card is swiped, whether the cardholder has the benefit or not. Very basic and simple - your AMEX PP card would show NOT eligible to receive benefit once the change comes into effect.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 9:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by dhuey
I understand that each person needs to determine for themselves whether the Plat is worth it for them. Still, a single stay at a Fine Hotels & Resorts can often justify the $550 annual fee.
Originally Posted by scubadu
Indeed and agreed. And yet many in this forum spend an inordinate amount of time twisting themselves into emotional knots trying to wring every last micro cent out of things like the Uber credit, which I find utterly perplexing....

Regards
Originally Posted by bgriff
Attributing a lot of value to FHR has to ignore that you can get 85% of the same value from Virtuoso and other travel agent-driven programs for free.
Originally Posted by Statman
One or two bookings in business class via IAP for me and my spouse more than justifies the $550 annual fee for several years.
We are churners and travel hackers. The point is to NOT PAY real money for business class flights or hotel rooms costing more than $200 but still get the experience. We don't have that kind if cash lying around anyways.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 4:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Happy
What are you talking about? Dont you have your PP card swiped each time you visit a lounge or a restaurant BEFORE you are admitted or start to order your stuff?
Ummm... No. Was just at Bobby Van's in JFK, had a great meal. No request for PP card at all until handling the bill, post meal.

I agree with others. If only Amex goes this route it will be a nightmare to administer and it will create frustration and misunderstandings for both the customer AND the employees of the establishments.

Now, for the record, I'm of the mind that Amex is just the first and Chase/Citi will likely follow, so that would certainly simplify things.

Regards
dw and cuthroat like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.