Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AMEX Priority Pass will exclude Restaurants (August 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Priority Pass will exclude Restaurants (August 2019)

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2019, 5:14 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Speaking of abuse. Plaza premium lounge had a loyalty program. Earn points for every sign in. Some people come in with 10+ cards for an hour's visit to earn 10+ credits.
Old May 30, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by pbd456
Speaking of abuse. Plaza premium lounge had a loyalty program. Earn points for every sign in. Some people come in with 10+ cards for an hour's visit to earn 10+ credits.
They went in 10 times using the same priority pass card or 10 different membership cards?

Who has 10 memberships?
cuthroat likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RedElmo
Who has 10 memberships?
I could have 5 if I bothered to activate them all which I realize only gets me half way there... goals!
MasterGeek likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Gasolin
Fee hike? You mean the $550 or it's going up again?
Business is now $595
Old May 30, 2019, 8:57 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I could have 5 if I bothered to activate them all which I realize only gets me half way there... goals!
Not good enough
Old May 30, 2019, 9:33 pm

Amex plat can get into plaza premium lounge itself. Then priority pass. Also companion card. I can enter using one plaza premium lounge using 5 ways (I am not even a churner). Then there are 3 to 4 plaza premium lounges in hkg....

And spending all these money to earn rewards points to redeem free merchandise. (I dont do this myself).

(Many hk credits card come with priority pass and plaza premium lounge access - without needing priority pass.)
Old May 30, 2019, 9:35 pm

Using pp at restaurant and actually eating the food later is not really an abuse comparing to just earn the points from plaza premium lounge access..
Old May 31, 2019, 3:47 am
Suspended

I didn't even know that PP restaurant thing was a thing until now. But a quick search tells me that there are none at PHL so I guess I wasn't missing anything.
Old May 31, 2019, 6:51 am

This is quite sad since I enjoyed having proper food at SFO (I have an SPG Amex since the Platinum doesn't make sense for me). I miss the SQ lounge so much...
If the Citi Prestige still allowed elite benefits on 4th night free stays, I wouldn't have this lounge gap.
Old May 31, 2019, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by QtownDave
I didn't even know that PP restaurant thing was a thing until now. But a quick search tells me that there are none at PHL so I guess I wasn't missing anything.
Don’t you actually fly somewhere from PHL? You may have to look at those airports as well to see if you were missing something.
Old May 31, 2019, 8:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by notquiteaff

Don’t you actually fly somewhere from PHL? You may have to look at those airports as well to see if you were missing something.
Ha. I do and will look next time but I usually would eat before take off and most are international destinations.
Old May 31, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by pbd456
(Many hk credits card come with priority pass and plaza premium lounge access - without needing priority pass.)
I guess that explains why I see lines out the door of the Plaza Premium lounge at HKG the last several times I've walked past it.
Old May 31, 2019, 11:21 am

I switched my Ascend card back to the free base Hilton card today. It is unclear if I will get a prorated refund of the membership fee. When I asked, the rep said no, but when he was reading all of the disclosure boilerplate at the end, a pro-rated refund was mentioned. So we'll see.
Old May 31, 2019, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by amanuensis
I switched my Ascend card back to the free base Hilton card today. It is unclear if I will get a prorated refund of the membership fee. When I asked, the rep said no, but when he was reading all of the disclosure boilerplate at the end, a pro-rated refund was mentioned. So we'll see.
Did you mention the PP updates as part of the reason why you're downgrading? If so, did the rep say anything about that?
Old May 31, 2019, 11:47 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
I guess I am half surprised at everyone's reaction to the restaurant benefit getting cut. A business colleague of mine told me last month transiting in SFO he ran into a guy at the gate and made some small talk waiting to board. My colleague said he must have a hungry family since it was a short flight, leaving at 2.15 arriving about 3.30, and he had three different carry-out bags The other traveler said he was traveling alone, one bag would be his dinner and the other two his lunch and dinner the next day all courtesy of his Amex Platinum card benefits.

We both said this is not going to last, Amex would implement a once per day limit or possibly drop it entirely. And drop it they did. No one should be surprised. And it will not matter to Amex if people drop the card in response because the ones who do will be the ones who overused the benefit. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with taking advantage of such benefits but if the cost of the program is out of line with the value Amex sees in offering it of course they will drop it.
dw, work2fly, Statman and 4 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.