Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AMEX Priority Pass will exclude Restaurants (August 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Priority Pass will exclude Restaurants (August 2019)

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2019, 2:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
I can't imagine that the underwriting criteria between green/gold/plat is any different. There's also a self-selecting criteria (as you mentioned) that the AF imposes.

For my next job I want to be the genius that comes up with credit cards with an aura of exclusivity and high AF. I bet those geniuses get paid very well.
Originally the Plat card really was invitation only and required some (unpublished) number of years with some other AmEx charge (not credit) card first, plus undisclosed additional criteria. AmEx tends to put a lot of weight on your own history with them and I don't think they would be allowed to pull a credit report before inviting you to upgrade your card or get Plat as an additional card.
Old May 29, 2019, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by Oakshadow
100% honest. PP is what tipped the scale in my decision to get the AMEX Platinum card. But I noticed quickly that PP was useless in many airports, particularly my own, LAX - the AS lounge has a "no Priority Pass" sign out almost permanently and the VS and KE lounges have limited hours, that is if they decided to let PP members in which KE lounge dragons frequently will not. Airside-isolated T1 has zero lounges and due to this, no PP benefit. The restaurant option was an excellent stop-gap for those who found themselves loungeless.
I understand the loss of benefit. Will you be replacing your Platinum with another Citi or Chase card with PP?

Originally Posted by RedElmo
Yes really. I travel maybe a handful of times a year for work where I would like the gold status for breakfast on my Hilton card and the 10 priority lounge / restaurant visits.

If I use it 5 times hotel breakfast, and 5 times restaurant / lounge, I feel like I got the value for the annual fee. But without the restaurant benefit the lounges now really don’t offer any food value to me. So yes. I will cancel because of this loss in benefit. I guess that’s why AMEX is cutting the benefit. Not many ppl are in my situation.
You're currently holding the Hilton Ascend card, correct? Will you be purchasing a PP membership direct or be getting a PP via Citi or Chase?
Old May 29, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Originally the Plat card really was invitation only and required some (unpublished) number of years with some other AmEx charge (not credit) card first, plus undisclosed additional criteria. AmEx tends to put a lot of weight on your own history with them and I don't think they would be allowed to pull a credit report before inviting you to upgrade your card or get Plat as an additional card.
My first Amex card was the green card in 1986, I upgraded to the gold in 1989 and kept that until 2014 when I got the platinum. I'm not aware of the history of the platinum, so I learned something new today.
Old May 29, 2019, 3:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Was anyone successful in or planning to wrangle some sort of compensation for this benefit devaluation ? I intend to do so for my Plat cards
Old May 29, 2019, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Javier1704
It depends what benefits you value. For me I'd glady pay $550 for benefits and not credits.
Absolutely depends on the individual. But Amex can and must operate in the aggregate. And at scale, they must have made an assessment that the customers lost by this change will not cost them more $ than what is recovered from slashing the benefit.
Old May 29, 2019, 4:04 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Our local IND Restaurant closed at 6:00 no $28.00 deal on the table, Evening flight..

It was nice while it lasted,, best the ORD. 10% off deal..

Great while it lasted.

Not a deal breaker.
Old May 29, 2019, 5:33 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
I’m no PP expert but haven’t restaurants only been part of the program for the last year or two? So it’s not as if this is some huge benefit that’s been around forever that’s being lost. If anyone has read DoC’s thoughts on this, which I 100% agree with, it’s that when contract renegotiation came up PP wanted to raise the price and AMEX said no. Chase, Citi and others offering PP Select will drop the restaurants as well when their contract with PP is up.
Old May 29, 2019, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jags86
I’m no PP expert but haven’t restaurants only been part of the program for the last year or two? So it’s not as if this is some huge benefit that’s been around forever that’s being lost. If anyone has read DoC’s thoughts on this, which I 100% agree with, it’s that when contract renegotiation came up PP wanted to raise the price and AMEX said no. Chase, Citi and others offering PP Select will drop the restaurants as well when their contract with PP is up.
Why drop the benefit entirely though? If the problem is chronic abusers, then put a limit of at most 1 visit per day, 4 visits per week, and 25 visits per year, per PP card. Something like that.
Old May 29, 2019, 6:34 pm

Programs: Alaska, Hilton, Chase Ultimate Rewards
The American Express salami game...

Amex has a habit of announcing some whiz-bang new benefit, and subsequently slicing off bits of it and taking them back, until the feature quietly disappears. Old-timers may remember the credit line, and the ability to get cash abroad at Amex offices.

I had Amex continuously since 1970, Plat since launch in 1984, but at the beginning of this year I dropped it in favor of Chase Sapphire Reserve. Yes, that was 49 years with Amex.
pcoll likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by jags86
I believe they added their first restaurant (LGW) in Feb 2017, followed by restaurants in SYD in May 17 and MEL sometime after

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/02/pri...ds-restaurant/
https://onemileatatime.com/priority-pass-airport-bar

in USA, Portland in June 2017 (distillery, drinks only) and Portland (actual restaurant) in Aug 2017

https://onemileatatime.com/portland-...priority-pass/

https://onemileatatime.com/priority-...rt-restaurant/
Old May 29, 2019, 6:37 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by STS-134
Why drop the benefit entirely though? If the problem is chronic abusers, then put a limit of at most 1 visit per day, 4 visits per week, and 25 visits per year, per PP card. Something like that.
Not sure it’s just the long tail, even a normal 25 visits/yr is $500 cost to pp/amex.. Also Amex can negotiate these same deals with the restaurants as an amex offer or bill credit and cut out the middle man if they wanted..
Old May 29, 2019, 7:25 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by STS-134
Or drop the guest benefit, or the dollar amount of credit.
icelandman2 likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 7:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by alangore
Amex has a habit of announcing some whiz-bang new benefit, and subsequently slicing off bits of it and taking them back, until the feature quietly disappears. Old-timers may remember the credit line, and the ability to get cash abroad at Amex offices.

I had Amex continuously since 1970, Plat since launch in 1984, but at the beginning of this year I dropped it in favor of Chase Sapphire Reserve. Yes, that was 49 years with Amex.
Wow. I think I applied for my plain old green card as soon as I finished graduate school and the paychecks started arriving for my first "real" job. Somehow I was never tempted by the Gold card, so I went right from Green to Plat.

I remember using my Plat card to order foreign currency to be delivered to me by DHL. It was a lot more convenient than finding an airport bank upon arrival or going to an AmEx office to change money (and write a check for the transaction).
Old May 29, 2019, 8:51 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I wonder what the restaurants would think? When it was new, I was talking to the distillery staff in PDX and they were loving it. Yes, they only got $26 for a $28 credit (back then, who knows now), but PP was driving so many more customers in it was well worth it. I would imagine it's the same for a lot of restaurants who have fairly constant labor charges (esp. when the credit is used on alcohol at massive markups), and so even $26 for $28 is likely to be profitable for them.

For now, Chase & Citi still offer it, so the restaurants might only notice a small dip. I guess time will tell for them.
Old May 29, 2019, 9:00 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
Really don’t understand how they can charge people $450 for an Aspire card, and then, two months later, say “the benefit you just paid for isn’t available to you any longer.”

And has anyone been notified of this removal of service from Amex? Or is a 3rd party blog post acceptable notification?

Will Amex discount the annual fee I just paid to reflect the downgrade of benefits?

...just thought that passed through my head this morning while aghast my PP benefit is no longer. This stinks.

Last edited by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant; May 29, 2019 at 9:12 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.