Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AMEX Priority Pass will exclude Restaurants (August 2019)

AMEX Priority Pass will exclude Restaurants (August 2019)

Old May 29, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Originally Posted by pallhedge
I respectfully disagree. Amex may end up spinning it that way, but this decision appears to be purely financial.
It also does not fit what AXP envisions the airport lounge benefit to be; and that is what PP is supposed to be a part of. So I think you're both right. They might have kept it if it was cheap enough, but it's not cheap and it's high volume and it's all over the map (and then some) in terms of experience, and with the exception of some far flung (and frankly weird) lounges in the PP network, are up against the rest of the lounge program via Delta/Cent/Escape/Airspace which are all branded and have clear expectations within each inside the parameters of the category of airport lounges.

Last edited by DrivingRain; May 29, 2019 at 12:30 pm
Old May 29, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: AS 100K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Boraxo
There is nothing exclusive about an Amex card. That is just marketing hype that was created decades ago when they had higher credit standards. Now they are happy to issue the card to any Tom, Dick or Harry with a pulse and a minimal credit score. This is all about Amex shaving costs, just as the decision to implement restrictions on signup bonuses.
Agreed - I got Plat back in college lol. No idea why people buy into the exclusivity hype so much.
GUWonder and IndyHoosier like this.
Old May 29, 2019, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Javier1704
This may be just me, but I think Amex is trying to move to an "exclusive experience" type of card. . . .

Those days were over after James D. Robinson III, left as CEO.
MSPeconomist and Javier1704 like this.
Old May 29, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold
The Priority Pass restaurant credit at participating restaurants was a benefit that I haven't used, but was looking forward to trying. It is disappointing that this benefit will be going away.

In 2016, I was able to access Alaska Airlines Boardroom lounges in LAX and SEA, and found the Boardrooms to be the best PP Lounges I have tried in the US. Unfortunately those are not very accessible to PP members anymore. Most other PP lounges seem basic but uninspiring. Last Friday, I tried the Virgin Atlantic ClubHouse in LAX Terminal 2 (morning), and it was not nearly as good as the Delta SkyClub across from it.

I have made use of some international PP lounges, although often the lounges I tried didn't inspire special memories. Right now, the AMEX Priority Pass lounge benefit is nice to have, but a benefit I don't value very highly. The loss of restaurants won't help.

Is it clear that AMEX or Priority Pass were the main party pushing for this change? There were several participating restaurants from before that are no longer participating, which leads me to believe it isn't always a benefit to the restaurants.
Old May 29, 2019, 12:27 pm

People are really going to dump the their Amex card because of this? I find it odd as I dont think people get the card(s) for the benefit.
Old May 29, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by Troopers
People are really going to dump the their Amex card because of this? I find it odd as I dont think people get the card(s) for the benefit.
Just the churners.

Off topic but that's why I was happy to see the Ameriprise first year annual fee waiver go away.
Statman likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
I think that the Amex LoungeBuddy purchase provides a glimpse of the future they will offer.

Centurion lounges at AA + UA hubs...I'd be surprised if ORD, DCA, EWR, and IAD did not have Centurion Lounges in five years. Also would not be surprised to see a Tokyo lounge at Haneda, or maybe Narita.

Escape Lounges at smaller airports + perhaps Delta hubs. Would be surprised if places like PDX, SAN, HNL, AUS and BNA were not on this list.

Something like PriorityPass, but probably not Priority Pass, for coverage elsewhere. I could also see a $x/mo or yr statement credit for airport restaurants.
Old May 29, 2019, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Without specifics that is hard to evaluate. I've dined at 4: Yankee Pier (SFO), SF Giants Clubhouse (SFO), Bracket Room (DCA), Barney's Beanery (LAX). I was happy with all the meals and SF Giants even brought bottled water that I could take on the plane. It's not fine dining, and the service can be mixed (fast at SFO, slow at the others) but the food options are way better than any free food I've seen in the UA, DL, AA, AS, former-VX, and Escape lounges. It's a great benefit and it is too bad it is being shut down for Amex cardholders. But not a surprise in light of the abuses reported elsewhere.
Agreed. Michael Symon's Bar Symon is quite good and with my Ritz card was able to get all 5 in my party the $28 credit. Also Cadillac Mexican in IAH is not bad
Old May 29, 2019, 12:49 pm
EdV

Programs: SPG Plat, PC Plat, AA ExPlat, LT Gold
Originally Posted by Javier1704
Just the churners.
Not just the churners. I have not been a churner to this point but this very well may be the tipping point that will make it much harder for me to justify renewing next year. Now granted, I'm a Marriott Brilliant Amex holder, not an Amex PLAT holder but still with a $450 AF this was a big part of my decision to get the card given that there are not lounges I an access normally at my home airport (BOS). Sure, I fly AA and there's an Admirals Club but I don't have access unless flying internationally so this card made sense in that regard there.
cuthroat likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
When I first got mine, it was a big deal to be invited. Now everyone and his/her dog can apparently get the card
I can't imagine that the underwriting criteria between green/gold/plat is any different. There's also a self-selecting criteria (as you mentioned) that the AF imposes.

For my next job I want to be the genius that comes up with credit cards with an aura of exclusivity and high AF. I bet those geniuses get paid very well.
Old May 29, 2019, 1:36 pm

The same sort of posts show up every time there is a change in benefits.

Whether these people actually dump cards, who knows, but it's easy to jump on the dog pile.
dw, Troopers and Javier1704 like this.
Old May 29, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Everyone has their own reasons. When I got the Plat card I was in Phoenix which didn't have a Centurion lounge, I got the card for the IAP and thanks to FT am able to use all the credits annually on top of the airfare savings. But someone in a city like Portland, with free food and booze on every departure and return home, might have gotten the card for PP instead.

For some outside FT perspective into the thread, I will share that I mentioned this change (and being upset at the cut) to a few people at work that also have the card. Neither cared, they haven't used the option so to them it was no loss. I have only taken advantage a few times but really appreciated it when it was the only option which is why I'm bummed out about it.
Old May 29, 2019, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103
But someone in a city like Portland, with free food and booze on every departure and return home, might have gotten the card for PP instead.
There is a better alternative if someone wants a card for PP.
Old May 29, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
100% honest. PP is what tipped the scale in my decision to get the AMEX Platinum card. But I noticed quickly that PP was useless in many airports, particularly my own, LAX - the AS lounge has a "no Priority Pass" sign out almost permanently and the VS and KE lounges have limited hours, that is if they decided to let PP members in which KE lounge dragons frequently will not. Airside-isolated T1 has zero lounges and due to this, no PP benefit. The restaurant option was an excellent stop-gap for those who found themselves loungeless.
kennycrudup and tstauck like this.
Old May 29, 2019, 2:01 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Yes really. I travel maybe a handful of times a year for work where I would like the gold status for breakfast on my Hilton card and the 10 priority lounge / restaurant visits.

If I use it 5 times hotel breakfast, and 5 times restaurant / lounge, I feel like I got the value for the annual fee. But without the restaurant benefit the lounges now really dont offer any food value to me. So yes. I will cancel because of this loss in benefit. I guess thats why AMEX is cutting the benefit. Not many ppl are in my situation.
amanuensis and cuthroat like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.