Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AMEX Priority Pass will exclude Restaurants (August 2019)

AMEX Priority Pass will exclude Restaurants (August 2019)

Old May 28, 2019, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Amex Plat cardholders can still use the Centurion lounges where those are available. However, the PP membership is sold as an important benefit for Hilton Aspire and Bonvoy Brilliant card holders and those individuals will have no more options if a restaurant was it in a particular airport.
BearX220, amanuensis and c502cid like this.
Old May 28, 2019, 10:24 pm

Programs: Several
The ability to use restaurants via PP was literally one of the few reasons why I have kept this card. I transit DEN often and make use of the Timberline restaurant. I should have mentioned it's the HH Ascend card that was converted years ago from the no AF version. Maybe Amex will let me convert it back down to the no AF HH card.

I've had the Platinum card in the past as well, and was really thinking about getting the Schwab version once my account balance can steadily stay above amount for the $200 fee waiver, but I think this really changes the value proposition of the card since its a benefit I use frequently compared to the $15/month Uber credit.
Old May 28, 2019, 10:31 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Before this thread was opened and before the US bloggers put up threads about this. I heard that this was hitting HKG Amex Plat users and suspected that it wouldn’t be long for Amex’s cost-cutting and budget-target objectives coming with an eventual hit against customers with US Amex Plats too.

It seems that Priority Pass found a way to make money off the PP restaurant arrangement and that is why it expanded the restaurant arrangement, way more so in the US than anywhere else. Could PP have done the airport restaurant expansion access in part because of how Amex, Chase and Citi (and others) were paying for their bank card customers’ use of bank card-related Priority Pass? If so, I have to give Priority Pass’s owners and and management some credit for having set up a way to increase the amount of money they got from their bank card partners and to increase the benefit for the bank card customers. I can’t say I’m surprised to see Amex cut it and being the first at it for PP restaurants.

I do note that this cut from Amex may hit more than just Priority Pass-affiliated restaurants.
Old May 28, 2019, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by scubadu
Honestly, I'm going to be shocked if Chase/Citi don't take this opportunity to follow Amex on this decision very quickly (if it wasn't already in the works).
Same. Unless they have different commercial terms with PP compared with Amex, which would surprise me, it seems they would want to do the same. I'm sure many heavy users of PP restaurants and lounges in the US have multiple PP memberships spread across cards and issuers, so Amex nixing the restaurants will just lead people like me to use a Chase issued PP card which presumably will lead to an unplanned increase in usage being billed to them and why would they want to bear the financial cost of Amex's prudence/frugality? I mean Chase shook up the PP market with "unlimited guests" with the CSR just to walk it back and match Amex's 2 free guests once they had a base of cardholders.

We shall see I guess. Like you commented it seemed too good to be sustainable long term.
Old May 29, 2019, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
It would be sustainable if the average # of annual visits by cardholders was kept to a reasonable level, maybe a few a year. It does not work when you have too many frequent visitors and not at all if you have more than a few abusers who visit multiple restaurants for takeout in a single day.

The better course would be to establish reasonable limits as was done for lounge guests (again likely the result of abusers). 10 visits a year would keep the majority of travelers happy (including me) while weeding out the heavy users that break the bank.
BearX220 and IndyHoosier like this.
Old May 29, 2019, 12:18 am

Programs: Global Mercenary
A better way to use the credit is on Uber eats. I have a sneaking suspicion that Uber artificially inflates ride prices when you have available credit. Uber eats, meanwhile, can’t really change menu prices.
sdix likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 1:33 am

I got to use the $28 restaurant credit exactly one time, last year, SFO, Yankee Pier (breakfast). It was just a salmon lox bagel and Irish coffee.

A few weeks ago, I passed Yankee Pier on the way to AMEX CL for a 1/2 hour visit (flight out of T3). They had a line and it looked fully packed inside. I was thinking, how many people were using $28 PP credits. Guess the answer was too many.

The next thing to go, AMEX might restrict SFO CL visits to people flying out of T3.
Old May 29, 2019, 1:41 am
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
I don't understand: centurion lounges are crowded enough already. Did they have data showing most restaurant users also went to the lounge after the restaurant?
Old May 29, 2019, 2:09 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Amex has had some people working on deals with restaurants/coffee shops/bars at some airports to replicate sort of what Priority Pass has done with some airport FBE locations. They worked on this for Amex Plat/Centurion cardholders even at some airports that have Priority Pass lounges. But it’s been so thinly worked on that it doesn’t seem to be a prequel to Amex going big into proviidng at-airport, non-lounge FBE benefits of the sort that Priority Pass has been growing.

I suspect that with this Amex cut aimed at Priority Pass, Priority Pass may even be less eager to expand the non-lounge FBE tie-ins than it has been. And any Chase or Citi replication of this Amex move may result in Priority Pass becoming even more shy.
Old May 29, 2019, 5:19 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by comptalk
AMEX is becoming real stingy with their "rewards" and increasing their annual fees. They really need to get with the program before Chase and Citi eats even more of their lunch.
AMEX's stock is at an all-time high, but I agree with you.

We have yet to see the effect of some of the cards that are rumored to be refreshed... I can guarantee there will be a large AF increase and minimal benefit increases. But then again, the AF didn't increase on the refreshed Blue Cash Preferred, so maybe the rumored Green refresh won't see an AF increase.

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
It's $15/mo (a little higher in December, can't remember how much). "Enough for perhaps one ride" is probably the wrong way of looking at it. It reduces my Uber bill by $15/mo, times 12, that's $180 offset off the annual fee.
I would have to agree with the person you replied to. AMEX's benefits are more customer unfriendly than what Citi or Chase offer.

Notice how they drip feed all "reimbursements" (i.e: Uber and GrubHub credits) except the airline credit? And with the airline credit, AMEX just limits it to incidentals where Citi and Chase do either all travel or all airline travel/lounges.

Last edited by mikesyr18; May 29, 2019 at 5:29 am Reason: Added Second Reply
Old May 29, 2019, 7:46 am

Maybe not in the US, Uber eats in other markets do have a higher different list price as opposed to the restaurant menu price.
Old May 29, 2019, 7:57 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Xlr
I don't understand: centurion lounges are crowded enough already. Did they have data showing most restaurant users also went to the lounge after the restaurant?
To my knowledge, there are no airports that had/have the restaurant feature that also have Centurion lounges. Removing the restaurant credit will neither add to nor subtract from the number of guests entering Centurion lounges.
Old May 29, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: Krisflyer
Originally Posted by MT_Switch
Maybe not in the US, Uber eats in other markets do have a higher different list price as opposed to the restaurant menu price.
yes they do have different price list! Tried in other countries. Just stick to the restaurants
Old May 29, 2019, 8:08 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
To my knowledge, there are no airports that had/have the restaurant feature that also have Centurion lounges. Removing the restaurant credit will neither add to nor subtract from the number of guests entering Centurion lounges.
Miami.
cuthroat likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 8:24 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Originally Posted by abk
Miami.
SFO T3 has Centurion plus two participating restaurants.

EDIT: cross-referencing the AMEX and PP sites, IAH and SEA also have a PP restaurant though not necessarily in the same terminal/concourse.
cuthroat and icelandman2 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.