Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AMEX Priority Pass will exclude Restaurants (August 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Priority Pass will exclude Restaurants (August 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2019, 4:09 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
To quote the late, great Willy Wonka:

"You get nothing. You lose. Good day, sir!"
GTITAN, Statman and hhdl like this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by shipcamein
Is / was / can Amex offer anything in the way of points to make up for taking away my (priority pass) restaurants and arriving (final destination) lounge benefits? Maybe they've offered something already and I missed it, or increased another benefit - but all I've noticed is the increase in my annual membership.
What did Amex say when you called/emailed/wrote in/chatted to express your displeasure?
Old Dec 8, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
The other day I need to catch a ride, and the Addison Lee benefit was a 20-30 wait or Uber within 3 mins. Suffice to say the decision was simple and Amex knows exactly how to maximise their return
Old Dec 8, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
You get to go to Saks every 6 months and get a free pair of socks.
tlglenn, Boraxo and jerseytom like this.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 8:58 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
No card issuer increases the card fee each time a new feature is added. Nor do they reduce it when a feature is removed. Once a year you have an opportunity to decide if the product provides good value. If it is a close decision, -and- if another product provides better value, cancel.
hhdl likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 11:51 am

Diplomatico - thanks for that, that made us laugh quite a bit - and is pretty much what I expected.

I did not email amex as they have no email address. they have no contact portal. my options are to call - no, thanks - or write a letter, with a pen and such. I may do that.

mia - I don't disagree with you entirely - but if the card changes the benefits AFTER I pay my yearly membership fee - then yes, I do, expect compensation. If they notified me of the changes to lounge access in the preceding months and those changes become effective upon my renewal, then your point would be entirely valid. As it is though - it's a bit of a bait and switch.

And since this must affect thousands upon thousands of card holders - I'm sure the "compensation" has been chased around the block a few times - I was just wondering if anyone had any success, or any feedback from AMEX, or if there was actually a new benefit I wasn't aware of, or, as I said, it's just a net loss, to be considered with all the others each year at renewal time.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 1:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
These things are in a constant state of flux. You don’t get a reimbursement every time comes or goes. Call Amex and see where you get. Or send them an email. They do have one.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 10:21 am

London - thanks - totally understand, really, I do. I'm sure plenty of other benefits have come and gone and I never noticed or cared. I certainly didn't start paying more for the Uber...oh wait...I kinda did...right?

But in this case - I was burnt twice in one trip - no more restaurant (used to be Symon's at Cleveland) and no more "Final Destination" lounge access - both of these things are real live dollars to me, probably a $50-100 value PER USE during the year,
of which there were many.

So ditching something I rarely or never used or that was just a victim of progress (Boingo, anyone?) was not nearly the direct effect on me as some other changes. And for that - yeah - I'd love to discuss it with them.

But if there's an email - I cannot find it.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 10:26 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
We cannot contact American Express (USA) by email. You need to call. One member reported receiving 10,000 points, but I do not recall anyone else replicating this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 10:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mia
We cannot contact American Express (USA) by email. You need to call. One member reported receiving 10,000 points, but I do not recall anyone else replicating this.
Really? That seems odd. I had a Platinum email address for the UK and Germany, and obviously there is one for Centurion and the RM, but this is not relevant for this thread.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
You can message AMEX via their app. Select Account then at bottom of page find “contact us”. Provides messages/ chat option along with phone numbers.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 8:18 am

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT
JFK T8 Bobby Vans didn't accept AMEX based Priority Pass card

At JFK American Airlines T8, tried to use AMEX Hilton based Priority Pass card and told they won't accept Priority Pass linked to AMEX. When did this 2nd tier status for Priority Pass happen?

Any other lounges or resturant I should he aware of?
Old Sep 3, 2021, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I assume that’s a restaurant? Priority Pass cards linked to US Amex cards were excluded in Aug 2019 per

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...st-2019-a.html
dw, mia, EdV and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 2:18 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by miles_navigator
At JFK American Airlines T8, tried to use AMEX Hilton based Priority Pass card and told they won't accept Priority Pass linked to AMEX. When did this 2nd tier status for Priority Pass happen?

Any other lounges or resturant I should he aware of?
Got a rude awakening at the American Tap Room at DCA last night also. I did a quick look at Priority Pass web site and Amex site on the Priority Pass benefit and couldn't find anything but it is obvious real after this thread.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 2:35 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Yeah, I carry two cards now in my iPhone wallet - the Amex one that allows a large number of guests and a Chase Sapphire one that allows all access and has the $28 food credits.

I was surprised they yanked the food privilege from the centurion card, too.
mcgahat likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.