Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AMEX Priority Pass will exclude Restaurants (August 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Priority Pass will exclude Restaurants (August 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Super Mario
I would be very mad if the Platinum was my only PP. My home international airport only has a PP restaurant. No Centurion, no Delta Sky Club, no other PP lounges. I understand this may not be a widespread scenario. Personally, I find the restaurant option to by far be the most practical use for a home airport departure, where I'm not arriving super early to sit in a lounge. That entree and cocktail is a great way to kickoff a trip. If there were limits or restrictions put into place, I'd be able to live with that. Here, they left someone like me with zero option.
With only 8 Cent lounges in the USA (and they aren't all convenient, i.e. PHL is A-west, SFO is international terminal), and many customers not flying Delta, your scenario is more typical. In PHX the PP lounge only was available until 3:30pm, and there was no restaurant, so afternoon/evening flights meant no options at all, worse than your restaurant-only. I still found value in the Platinum card but NOT in priority pass.

Amex will probably lose some cardholders over this decision. A defection to Chase or Citi makes sense for those who have a PP restaurant at their frequent airports (just as someone moving to SEA might defect to Amex for the Centurion lounge).
IndyHoosier and milesforhire like this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 12:25 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Let's put this in perspective:

THIS list from late May shows Priority Pass restaurants at 20 domestic USA airports.

Twelve of those airports have an actual Priority Pass lounge, or a Centurion (some under development), Escape, or Airspace lounge. Many have more than one.

This leave eight lounges with no coverage. Five of those have Delta Skyclubs.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 12:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Or.....all restaurants will accept the Priority Pass for the credit, Priority Pass will pass along the charge to AMEX, and AMEX will charge the customer's AMEX card.
That would be quite an unhappy surprise for lots of cardholders. Is the system even set up to handle what would be varying charges for diners' bills? When I check in with a PP card, it looks like all the lounge is doing on the card reader is inputting the number of guests (if any).
Old Jun 10, 2019, 12:46 pm
mia

Originally Posted by dhuey
....set up to handle what would be varying charges ....
While I do not expect this to happen, American Express could simply pass through the stipulated fee for a visit without regard to the amount spent. Perhaps American Express will address this when they publish their official announcement of the benefit change.

I expect that the merchant's system will reject the American Express sponsored memberships, and the restaurant will have to deal with the problem at point of sale. This will be a powerful incentive to swipe before seating, and perhaps to leave the program altogether.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 12:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by mia
I expect that the merchant's system will reject the American Express sponsored memberships, and the restaurant will have to deal with the problem at point of sale. This will be a powerful incentive to swipe before seating, and perhaps to leave the program altogether.
I confess to having no expertise in restaurant management, but it doesn't seem that difficult to me to assure that the PP card is swiped before seating. The host asks if the guest will be using a PP card. If yes, swipe card. Done.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 3:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by luv2vacay
...I am a little surprised that Amex is doing this across the board (I've got the Hilton Aspire card) and not telling anyone (I've not gotten an email/letter yet). Or is this only one some cards? (The blogs seem to indicate it's all Amex cards with PP)
My June Hilton Aspire card statement has the following: "Effective August 1, 2019, Priority Pass non-lounge airport experience credits will no longer be available to Hilton Honors Aspire Card Members, except for select locations..."

Not sure how we determine what the "select locations" are.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Westcoaster
My June Hilton Aspire card statement has the following: "Effective August 1, 2019, Priority Pass non-lounge airport experience credits will no longer be available to Hilton Honors Aspire Card Members, except for select locations..."

Possibly the Amex app, or the Lounge Collection website, or even the PP app can probably be configured (on the backend) to only show locations that are approved for ones membership.

I confess to having no expertise in restaurant management, but it doesn't seem that difficult to me to assure that the PP card is swiped before seating. The host asks if the guest will be using a PP card. If yes, swipe card. Done.
In my limited experience, PP is treated as a payment method, and points of sale may not be equipped for a negative balance transaction.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 5:38 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Westcoaster

Still to be confirmed, but it was previously reported that some of the “non-lounge” locations would include MinuteSuites.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by mia
While I do not expect this to happen, American Express could simply pass through the stipulated fee for a visit without regard to the amount spent. Perhaps American Express will address this when they publish their official announcement of the benefit change.

I do expect Amex to pass through the fee to cardholders. Those who call Amex to complain can be offered courtesy credits for the first few charged visits to soften the blow. Any other method where, as you put it, "the restaurant will have to deal with the problem" would be an unfair burden on the restaurant. Priority Pass shouldn't allow that. This is Amex's new policy--let it be Amex's problem solely.
cuthroat likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 8:21 am
mia

Originally Posted by pallhedge
....unfair burden on the restaurant. Priority Pass shouldn't allow that. This is Amex's new policy--let it be Amex's problem solely.
Another perspective: Priority Pass chose to expand their lounge access service to include restaurants, and they are passing through the cost to the card issuers. We do not know what discussions occurred between American Express and Priority Pass beforehand, or after the costs became apparent, but if American Express's contract stipulates that they will not pay for restaurant charges after 7.31.2019 it will be Priority Pass's problem.

I assume Priority Pass will make a public statement in July.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by mia
...they are passing through the cost to the card issuers.
To my knowledge, that's not really any different than how PP passes through the cost of lounge fees to the card issuers. I guess it's now just a costlier benefit than Amex originally budgeted for.

But I agree, we really don't know what's in the agreements between card issuers and Priority Pass. It will be interesting to see how it's handled.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 1:06 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by mia

Amex appears to be notifying cardholders about this change via wording on our June account statements, as they did on mine. If people read their statements then they won't be surprised that the benefit has changed. If they don't read their statements then I agree it would be helpful for the merchant's system to reject their membership. Either way it wouldn't surprise me if no official announcement is made apart from the clear wording on our statements.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 6:01 pm

The majority of my PP use has been with restaurants and it surprises me how long it takes to get scanned. For whatever reason, it seems like most restaurants (or I've just been lucky) just have one or two people that know how to scan people.

My "favorite" long time was at LAX. They have a sign at the Rock and Brews to say if you're going to use PP. I did so, and the host said I'll be back to scan you after seating us. He never came back. Server came and I mentioned again I need to scan. She said she'd be back. Order taken, drinks brought, food delivered and I remind them again. She said she'd have to find it because they apparently only have one. The bill shows up and I mention it again, and finally, after about another 10 minutes of searching, they find it and scan it.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mia

THIS list from late May shows Priority Pass restaurants at 20 domestic USA airports.

Twelve of those airports have an actual Priority Pass lounge, or a Centurion (some under development), Escape, or Airspace lounge. Many have more than one.

While it's a good look at it, I also think it is a bit deceiving to imply you are left option-less at only 3 airports. If you aren't flying Delta, 40% of previously covered airports, now leave you with no option. Some of us also vastly prefer the food options at the restaurants vs the lounges.
GUWonder and Happy like this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mia

not all Terminals are connected or easily accessible. Boston Terminal B it was GREAT to have Stephanie's accepting PP and having a place to sit and enjoy a drink and snack before a UA flight ... no longer.

How cheap ... having 2 eligible Amex cards ... I might have to re-think things here with this change. This sucks big time.
Boraxo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.