Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AMEX Priority Pass will exclude Restaurants (August 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Priority Pass will exclude Restaurants (August 2019)

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2022, 5:52 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Segments
Do most restaurants you frequent confirm your payment method before serving you? Most sit down restaurants don’t place a hold on your credit card before ordering. PP is just a payment method.

A lounge may be membership only, even if via day pass, but most restaurants are not.
I usually tell them it’s for priority pass and they ask to make sure it’s not an American Express membership priority pass.
Segments likes this.
Old May 10, 2022, 11:45 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Segments
Do most restaurants you frequent confirm your payment method before serving you? Most sit down restaurants don’t place a hold on your credit card before ordering. PP is just a payment method.

A lounge may be membership only, even if via day pass, but most restaurants are not.
My local PP restaurant is very adamant on scanning my membership asap. Perhaps from people believing they qualify for something they do not?
beltway and Statman like this.
Old May 10, 2022, 5:24 pm

Programs: Some more than others
Originally Posted by Super Mario
My local PP restaurant is very adamant on scanning my membership asap. Perhaps from people believing they qualify for something they do not?
Yes I'm sure a lot of these PP restaurants have been burned before on Amex PP's who aren't eligible.

I remember when the LAX PF Changs was part of the program they would scan the card and issue a receipt upon entry that would be presented to the server/bartender.
Old May 13, 2022, 10:49 am

Programs: AC 75K, HIlton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by Super Mario
This has always been the case for me at restaurants; good CYA for everyone
Old May 13, 2022, 11:05 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by theranj
This has always been the case for me at restaurants; good CYA for everyone
It's also a Priority Pass requirement, as noted by beltway in this post: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34228852-post463.html
beltway likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by QtownDave
PHL also includes Minute Suites.

Is this new? PHL minute suites are listed at the Amex link below, yet the location says PP from Amex isn’t allowed. (The PP from chase works so I never noticed this.)

https://global.americanexpress.com/l...e&locale=en-US
Old Jan 4, 2023, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by rrgg
Is this new? PHL minute suites are listed at the Amex link below, yet the location says PP from Amex isn’t allowed. (The PP from chase works so I never noticed this.)

https://global.americanexpress.com/l...e&locale=en-US

Yes, Capital One amended their Priority Pass benefit to basically match American Express' policy, effective Jan 1, 2023.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 11:22 am

I was asking about Amex not Capital One. I know restaurants are excluded but thought Minute Suites are not. I guess I'm wrong. This location is still shown at the Amex link in my post, but I realized that link is probably for Platinum/Centurion access not PP.

Last edited by rrgg; Jan 4, 2023 at 11:31 am
Old Jan 4, 2023, 11:59 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by rrgg
I was asking about Amex not Capital One. I know restaurants are excluded but thought Minute Suites are not. I guess I'm wrong. This location is still shown at the Amex link in my post, but I realized that link is probably for Platinum/Centurion access not PP.
No - look again your link. It says "Access & Guests
  • Priority Pass Select Card and same-day boarding pass."
So, it's very odd that Minute Suites put up that sign...
Old Jan 16, 2023, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
If you use your Priority Pass (AMEX) at a restaurant, does PP give you the credit, and then charge you for it, or does it not accept the charge? I have so many Priority Pass cards I can't keep them straight. I'm sure many people aren't sure which PP card they are using, especially as I have P2 and P3 using them.

Cheers
toofast likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by ryandelmundo
If you use your Priority Pass (AMEX) at a restaurant, does PP give you the credit, and then charge you for it, or does it not accept the charge? I have so many Priority Pass cards I can't keep them straight. I'm sure many people aren't sure which PP card they are using, especially as I have P2 and P3 using them.

Cheers
I'm also curious about this. I give Priority Passes to my friends, and have to remind them not to use restaurants etc. It would be better if they are just not accepted.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
If you use a physical card, write the credit card that it belongs to on the back with a Sharpie when you receive the card. I have three - CSR, AXP, and AXA. The AXA (Aspire) card never leaves the house. I usually have the CSR in my travel wallet and the AXP in my backup wallet. And on my phone I am logged into the CSR PP account.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 5:09 am

Cheers
The Amex PP won't work when they swipe, It'll be declined. I tested this when I had my CSR PP with me.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
Originally Posted by cuthroat
The Amex PP won't work when they swipe, It'll be declined. I tested this when I had my CSR PP with me.
Thanks for being the Data Point we want to see!
Old May 14, 2023, 4:42 pm

Programs: AS, AA, BA, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by Adelphos
At the end of the day, the only thing that can really reduce crowds in lounges is a big recession that reduces consumer disposable income (in nominal terms, not real terms) and propensity to travel. It is consensus that there is one coming, but that has been the consensus for the past two years, so who knows.
I do believe the lounge overcrowding, the insane airfares and the lack of award travel availability all do have the same root cause: for the last 18 months or so, and nothing seems able to stop it *so far*, leisure travel is booming and as long as that remains the case, this will be hard. It takes time to deal with pent up post-COVID travel demand AND 2+ years of saved up discretionary income because there was little to spend it on.

That said, I would suggest one other thing -- restoring the PP restaurant benefit. Yes, that costs money, but Amex is making much of that back with their new fee for guests accompanying "ordinary" spenders, and I have to think a fair number of people would get out of line and not use the CL *if* they still had the PP restaurant benefit as an alternative. So to me, rescinding that credit was shortsighted. They could reduce overcrowding and lines at the CLs without spending a dime to expand them if they did that.
m907 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.