Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex ICC Residency Requirement (EU residents now ineligible).

Old May 26, 2019, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex, JPMR, Nexus

As per new residency requirements for Amex International Currency Cards, the ones issued in the UK "are not offered to residents of the USA, Singapore, the European Union (UK exempt) and some other excluded countries" and the ones issued for Latin America & Caribbean "are only available to individuals residing in Latin America, the Caribbean, Spain and Switzerland (excluding Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands)". I remember having to change my address to one outside the U.S. not to have the card canceled. Is that going to be the case again if the address falls outside their new residency requirements?
Old May 27, 2019, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I cant answer your question I suspect it might be money laundering that AMEX are most worried about.

Quite a lot of financial products I look at ask me if I am living in the US, or to confirm I am not resident in the US.

There is more here American Express International Euro Card
Old May 27, 2019, 5:00 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by greglvnv
.... not offered to residents of the USA, Singapore, the European Union (UK exempt) and some other excluded countries....
If you click the [Apply] button as if you were opening a new account the terms do not have yet have the EU exclusion. This suggests that the policy modification is very new, and may not be fully developed. I speculate that the EU exemption may be a Brexit consequence. The UK-based unit that issues these cards may not be licensed in the EU after the UK leaves.
Old May 27, 2019, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When I clicked this morning this note was put up
  • Confirm that you (and any Supplementary Cardmembers) are over 18 years of age and are not resident(s) of the USA.
Old May 27, 2019, 8:43 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Originally Posted by origin
When I clicked this morning this note was put up
  • Confirm that you (and any Supplementary Cardmembers) are over 18 years of age and are not resident(s) of the USA.
Correct. The USA exclusion is not new, it has been in effect for several years.
Old May 27, 2019, 6:30 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Just a naive question for me but... what is this card? It's a usd card for non-US citizens basically?
origin likes this.
Old May 27, 2019, 6:37 pm
mia

Originally Posted by Gasolin
. what is this card
Cards billed in USD or Euros for people who frequently transact in those currencies, but reside in countries where another currency is used.

https://www.americanexpress.com/icc/index.html
origin likes this.
Old May 27, 2019, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gasolin
Just a naive question for me but... what is this card? It's a usd card for non-US citizens basically?
It’s a USD or Euro denominated Amex issued in the UK for current Amex cardholders who are not residents of the U.S., EU (except UK & Spain) or Singapore.
origin likes this.
Old May 27, 2019, 9:47 pm

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
While the discussion about these products is still lively, could anyone comment regarding the ability to shift points to/from these cards to your residence country's MR program?

I see it's possible ICC-UK, but what about other countries?
Old May 27, 2019, 10:46 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Ahem, as a resident of the EU, does this mean my ICC is now going to be closed? Hmm.
Old May 27, 2019, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by caliform
Ahem, as a resident of the EU, does this mean my ICC is now going to be closed? Hmm.
That is a valid question. I was told mine would be closed if I did not change my address to a non-US one in the past.
Old May 29, 2019, 10:04 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
No word from them so far, but it'd bother me a lot if I have to switch to the Euro currency Dutch Platinum.
Old May 29, 2019, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

No word from them so far, but it'd bother me a lot if I have to switch to the Euro currency Dutch Platinum.
At least you have that option. I dont.
Old May 30, 2019, 5:43 am

Programs: KL Plat, Accor Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold ex-UA 1k, ex-AA Plat, ex-QF Gold, ex IHG P
Why would that be?
zsalya_fly likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold
I'm in the same boat and have a Euro ICC card for 10+ years. I just rang Amex ICC and they said nothing will change for existing cardmembers in the EU but there will be different procedures for new cardmembers in the EU going forward - the rep didn't go into further details.
mia likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.