Search

Buying a car with AMEX UK

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2019, 6:19 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by xnetco

However I know some companies are still charging the fees as no one seems to be policing this.
They can be reported to Trading Standards, but the reality is that they simply can't say they are charging a fee, yet still charge it anyway in the form of refusing discounts.

If they are willing to take Amex for a payment of Ł10,000, it simply means they are actually happy to make the sale for Ł9,800 or thereabouts, i.e. someone paying by bank transfer should be able to haggle the price down a bit, or get some extra freebies.
Old May 26, 2019, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by :D!
If they are willing to take Amex for a payment of Ł10,000, it simply means they are actually happy to make the sale for Ł9,800 or thereabouts, i.e. someone paying by bank transfer should be able to haggle the price down a bit, or get some extra freebies.
Indeed, if the vendor is prepared to accept payment with AMEX I would counter offer that with cash payment less 5% (and after haggling maybe accept down to 3% discount). So the real question is here if YOU are prepared to pay add. 2-3% for paying with AMEX?
Old May 26, 2019, 12:48 pm

Programs: LH lifetime Sen; HH lifetime diamond; flying blue silver
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Indeed, if the vendor is prepared to accept payment with AMEX I would counter offer that with cash payment less 5% (and after haggling maybe accept down to 3% discount). So the real question is here if YOU are prepared to pay add. 2-3% for paying with AMEX?
The fee the merchant pays to Amex is 0.3% for a European-issued personal card, so 2-3% is far too much.
The_SpinDoctor likes this.
Old May 26, 2019, 10:29 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I was told, without confirmation, that there might be issues with the return policy, warranty and purchase protections if more than 50% of vehicle's purchase price is paid with a credit card.

In the US, I have been successful using a credit card to fund a large "deposit" towards the purchase price.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 9:49 am
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
In US obama made it legal to charge the fee
Old Jun 21, 2019, 9:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
I bought 2 volvos for the pickup in Sweden. The charge goes to Volvo and not the dealership. Dealer didn't care and let me put total on card

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.