Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying a car with AMEX UK

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Paid for the whole of my Jag on amex. £33,100. Arranged the deal then told the dealer that the high cost of using amex (to them) was a cost of doing business and if they didn’t like it I’d walk. Guess what happened? Lol
Old May 25, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
My dad was involved with a boat dealer.

Amex used to have a lower percent for very high value transactions no idea if it still does.
Old May 25, 2019, 3:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by roberino
Paid for the whole of my Jag on amex. £33,100. Arranged the deal then told the dealer that the high cost of using amex (to them) was a cost of doing business and if they didn’t like it I’d walk. Guess what happened? Lol
Which dealer was this? I'd consider them when mine is due for an update next year if they take amex, as my local one doesn't.
Old May 25, 2019, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Paren
I paid about 25% of my car with Mercedes last year on an Amex (they were not pleased but it was one of my requests for the sale).

I always pay using the Amex for services without any problems at all.
Thanks for this! Can you recall which dealership this was?

Originally Posted by origin

SHop around to which car company you want and where you want to buy.

If Mercedes some will check will the garage and talk to them first.
Doh! Feels like I should've checked their first - thanks!
Old May 25, 2019, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by dpfs
My mate paid his deposit of £9k on Amex at Brentford Mercedes.

He could probably have paid for the whole car on Amex but he decided to do finance for some reason.
I was thinking about a Mercedes so that is certainly reassuring to hear!
dpfs likes this.
Old May 25, 2019, 3:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
When I bought my polluting VW diesel from Inchape in London I was only allowed to pay 5k from my Amex. the rest had to be via wire transfer...
Old May 25, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
Caffyns Volkswagen also accept Amex :-)
Old May 25, 2019, 3:47 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Mini Park lane only allowed me 1k on my Amex last year, but I didn’t really push it too hard to be honest.
Old May 25, 2019, 4:24 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club - Silver (OWS)
I bought a VW a couple of years ago and the dealer would accept my holding deposit by credit card (not Amex), which was only about £250. The only option for the balance was wire transfer, no credit card option at all.

My local VW garage will accept Visa or MasterCard only for servicing.
Old May 25, 2019, 4:30 pm

Tesla let you put the deposit on amex. £4k
Old May 25, 2019, 5:03 pm

MB take Amex for servicing and repairs. Took the deposit too but not the rest of purchase price. Buying a car is a negotiation so they’ll take Amex if you pay more; strike a hard bargain and they’ll say no.
Old May 25, 2019, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The_SpinDoctor

EDIT: Sorry if this is the wrong forum - I'm not sure where it should go! But I found a few older threads on this topic in this forum and so felt it was the right place:
There is another section of flyertalk https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...p-rewards-410/ So if you have any questions " that that will do nicely sir" can go there if needed.

Another section irrelevant to you needs but flyertalk also has https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland-484/ for all non ba but UK based info.
Old May 25, 2019, 11:41 pm

Its all about the merchant fee the dealership has to pay for using Amex. If you are willing to cover their fees, I would guess they would be more than willing to accept your Amex card.
Old May 26, 2019, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by MT_Switch
Its all about the merchant fee the dealership has to pay for using Amex. If you are willing to cover their fees, I would guess they would be more than willing to accept your Amex card.
As mentioned above, it is illegal for businesses to charge fees for (personal) card payments.
origin likes this.
Old May 26, 2019, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1

As mentioned above, it is illegal for businesses to charge fees for (personal) card payments.
However I know some companies are still charging the fees as no one seems to be policing this.
origin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.