Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Centurion Card (UK)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2019, 2:57 am

Here are some pics of the package the cards come in. As you can see from the pics there are three card slots - Centurion Titanium + Centurion Plastic + Centurion Titanium Supplementary. Packaging feels nice and special. Very nice touch from Amex.

Last edited by ragsk; Feb 17, 2019 at 3:08 am
Old Feb 17, 2019, 8:55 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by ragsk
....understand that both have the plastic and the titanium cards have the contactless feature. .....
The metal American Express contactless cards issued in the USA are made of two layers, a plastic layer bonded to the back of the metal. The contactless hardware is in the plastic layer, and the feature will only work if the back of the card is facing the sensor.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 5:00 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by ragsk
....I understand that both have the plastic and the titanium cards have the contactless feature.
Originally Posted by JK
....old Titanium Cent just expired, and so I just received my new one. It still doesn’t have the PayWave logo....
Originally Posted by Jay66
None of the Metal Centurion Cards are contactless. Not in the US, not anywhere. US Platinum and Gold cards are a different story.
ragsk can you confirm that your UK metal Centurion card does actually have the Contactless feature?
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:13 am

I was misinformed. Just tried contactless on the London Underground with my Titanium Centurion and it didn’t work. The plastic one worked.

Will try something else later to reconfirm.

Old Mar 3, 2019, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by Rickie Cruz
Probably an International thing.... Crazy wait time.
Not in the UK. Got my cards pretty quickly after sending in the application. Supplementary plats arrived with 4 or 5 days and the Centurions within 2 weeks.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 2:31 am

I am not sure about different hurdles in different countries but in the hope of providing some clarity here is how/why i got offered it:

I have have had a British Airways American Express points card for about 10 years

I used my BA card day in day out for everything. Really punish it - travel, london tube, coffees, shopping, gifts, holidays, jewellery, watches, restaurants, wine, branded clothes, theatre, shows, musicals etc etc. I probably averaged about £30-£35k+ per month on the card. That is without any corporate or company spend - all personal and its hugely diversified and varied.

I never asked them for a Centurion once. Wasn't even on my radar. Got offered it (informal telephone discussion) about 2 years ago and turned it down on the basis that I felt the charges were OTT. Then got offered it again more recently and accepted - I had direct experience of the Centurion service last year when I got stuck in Amsterdam airport due to fog and one of my friends had the card and used it to expedite us out of there and back to London. I was impressed. So when they offered it to me again, I remembered the Amsterdam experience and thought why the heck not !
Old May 10, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Randomly got an email invite in UK this week. Not sure why because I'm probably far below their level. Anyone got a random one like this this week?
Old May 11, 2019, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BobbySteel
Randomly got an email invite in UK this week. Not sure why because I'm probably far below their level. Anyone got a random one like this this week?
Can I ask how much have you put through your amex cards this past year?

What level you are expecting amex to be?
Old May 18, 2019, 6:17 am

Recent Centurion Relationship Manager experiences? (UK)

Considering the UK card but can't seem to find an updated description of how good the relationship managers? The platinum concierge has been a big disappointment overall - is the concierge rm more of the same? Can they help book travel or suggest restaurant ideas for example?
Old May 18, 2019, 10:27 am

I started a new thread but has anyone here any good recent experience w the relationship managers? https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...iences-uk.html
Old May 18, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: *A G, HHonors Gold, Marriot Gold, Skywards Silver
Considering the UK card but can't seem to find an updated description of how good the relationship managers? The platinum concierge has been a big disappointment overall - is the concierge rm more of the same? Can they help book travel or suggest restaurant ideas for example?
why are you disappointed with the UK concierge? I find them to be super useful to find and book flights and restaurants, as well as for activity suggestions in other European cities!
Old May 18, 2019, 1:37 pm

The platinum one was generally not good at proactive suggestions and seems to be outsourced to USA at some times of day. They did get eventual bookings but usually require a call then a follow up call afterward which was disappointing.
Old May 18, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: *A G, HHonors Gold, Marriot Gold, Skywards Silver
The platinum one was generally not good at proactive suggestions and seems to be outsourced to USA at some times of day. They did get eventual bookings but usually require a call then a follow up call afterward which was disappointing.
ah! I get your point. Actually just yesterday I called in as I was in Madrid and the guy I talked to was super nice and told me he’d send me some suggestions for dinner in 20 mins. 10 mins later I had 10 restaurants in my email, and he followed back later with five or six suggestions of what to do after as he knew we were a group of 18 year olds haha

I would be curious to curious to know how the Cent concierge is, and if it’s worth the price!
Old May 19, 2019, 3:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, LH Sen, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
Originally Posted by itsilyas
I would be curious to curious to know how the Cent concierge is, and if it’s worth the price!
Mine is great, but like all concierges you need to know their strengths. Flight/hotel reservations, restaurants in the Centurion program, event bookings which have Amex relationships, then of course its great. Outside of that its simply asking someone to do something for you. They have lists of restaurants and bars but its not like they personally necessarily know a place etc.
Old May 19, 2019, 3:56 am

Originally Posted by YClass
Mine is great, but like all concierges you need to know their strengths. Flight/hotel reservations, restaurants in the Centurion program, event bookings which have Amex relationships, then of course its great. Outside of that its simply asking someone to do something for you. They have lists of restaurants and bars but its not like they personally necessarily know a place etc.
do you find it a good value still?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.