Wiki Posts
Search

MR (USA) to Aeroplan transfer "rejected"

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2019, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, A3*G, NEXUS, SPG Gold
MR (USA) to Aeroplan transfer "rejected"

A few days ago I transferred 200,000 MR points to Aeroplan. The points posted to Aeroplan instantly, which I used to book some flights. But today, I got a call from Amex saying that the transfer was rejected by Aeroplan and they are redepositing the points to my MR account. The Amex rep said it was the first time he'd ever heard of something like this, but everything on Amex's end looked fine and my MR balance includes the 200k points that I had transferred. I called Aeroplan after and they said there weren't any issues on their end either, and the flights I booked are all ticketed (I also double-checked the PNRs with the carriers and they are confirmed). So right now I magically have duplicate 200k points in both my MR and Aeroplan accounts (minus what I redeemed for flights).

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Will Amex eventually actually reverse the transfer (either taking the points back from Aeroplan, causing my account to go negative, or reducing my MR balance)?
Old May 18, 2019, 4:33 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by itsOL

Has anyone else experienced this problem? ....
Yes:

Transfer from MR (Canada) to Aeroplan rejected
Old May 18, 2019, 7:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mia
That thread doesn't seem to impart any actionable wisdom... (unless I missed it)

Regards
Old May 18, 2019, 7:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The risk is that, in the simplest terms, AP has not been "paid" for the tickets, will eventually tumble to that fact, and cancel them. Why this may have occurred is irrelevant.

At a later date, the seats may not be available and that presents a whole series of other issues.

I would do a three-way call with Amex and AP and resolve this. Bottom line, if both are satisfied, you have obtained your tickets for free. But, it is rare that unpaid tickets remain live. At least with cash tickets, if there is an add/collect, you simply pay it.
windscar likes this.
Old May 18, 2019, 7:35 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
We do have another report, from this week, of a transfer to AC that was not completed timely, but no information about final outcome:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31100541-post248.html

We also have reports from a few other partner airlines of transfers that were apparently rejected, but were actually completed, and there was a temporary points discrepancy, which was resolved after a time.
Old May 19, 2019, 5:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mia
We do have another report, from this week, of a transfer to AC that was not completed timely, but no information about final outcome:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31100541-post248.html

We also have reports from a few other partner airlines of transfers that were apparently rejected, but were actually completed, and there was a temporary points discrepancy, which was resolved after a time.
Thanks mia.

Geez... these type of things are incredibly frustrating. This type of transaction isn't rocket science and should just "work."

Regards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.