FHR "special offers" in decline?

Old May 16, 19, 6:07 am
Original Poster

FHR "special offers" in decline?

anyone else notice a decline in the number of offers this year?

previously there were many "special offers" listed on the FHR site (https://www.americanexpressfhr.com/fhr/offers) esp. in the off season for whichever region, but it looks like the number has sharply declined, at least outside the US. I wonder if amex is just getting lazy with these promotions or if it is something they are actively phasing out. typically you can get same free nights deal directly through the hotel, so booking through FHR becomes much less compelling if you have to trade off fhr benefits vs free nights. A few of the hotels we booked in the past on an amex offer which no longer appear still seem to have similar offers via virtuoso.
Old May 16, 19, 7:58 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Promotions are simply a way of reducing prices. Prices reflect supply vs demand. In a strong economy occupancy rates are higher, and the need to promote is less.
Centurion and m.photog like this.
Old May 16, 19, 9:17 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, AMEX Plat (Marriott Gold), AMEX Hilton Aspire (Hilton Diamond)
saw an upcoming offer earlier this month for 3rd night free at Mandarin Oriental in DC supposedly valid until late August. The offer has since disappeared.
Old May 16, 19, 11:28 pm

If the hotel publishes free nights on their web site but that isn't reflected via Amex Travel's web site, try calling Platinum Travel Services. I've frequently had success asking them to match the hotel's published rates and add FHR benefits onto the reservation.

You forfeit 5x MR if you go through a phone agent rather than the web site, but IMO the cost savings are worth the tradeoff.
Old May 22, 19, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl Emerald EE, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Agreed ó itís been quite poor lately. In the past, though, these have come and gone in waves, so keeping fingers crossed.
Old Jun 5, 19, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by dpy940307 View Post
saw an upcoming offer earlier this month for 3rd night free at Mandarin Oriental in DC supposedly valid until late August. The offer has since disappeared.
If you're still looking, I just booked this deal yesterday for a stay in early August.

Edited to add:
I just checked to make sure the offer was still available, and it is if you point to https://consumer-travel.americanexpress.com/home, but oddly, not if you search https://www.americanexpressfhr.com/fhr/offers.

Last edited by kdbf; Jun 5, 19 at 11:07 am Reason: add information
Old Jun 8, 19, 3:59 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum--Marriott-Platinum Elite-AA-Delta SM-Chase UR, JP Morgan Ritz Carlton
Originally Posted by mia View Post
Promotions are simply a way of reducing prices. Prices reflect supply vs demand. In a strong economy occupancy rates are higher, and the need to promote is less.
I recall taking advantage of second night free offers after the economy went bad in 2008.
Old Jun 18, 19, 8:34 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
The reality is hotels don’t need to do promotions as aggressively. Still, in the era of limited hotel benefits, I find FHR to be an incredibly valuable program.

Search this Thread