Bonus Points not posting on Amex Business Gold

Old May 13, 19, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Bonus Points not posting on Amex Business Gold

I ran into an issue tonight that was very frustrating, it took me 45 minutes on the phone to even get them to admit there was an issue.
with a promise that the partner liason team would call me within 3-5 business days.

the new Amex Business Gold card, has a new way of determining categories for bonus points (4x points)
they choose the top two categories (of the bonus categories), to determine which one would issue bonus points to.
"The 6 categories that qualify for additional points are: (1) airfare on a scheduled flight charged directly with passenger airlines (charter flights and private jet flights are excluded); (2) advertising purchased in the U.S. to promote your business online, on television, or on the radio; (3) computer hardware, software, and cloud computing purchases in the U.S. made directly from select technology providers (the current list of select technology providers is available at: ; (4) gasoline at gas stations located in the U.S. (superstores, supermarkets and warehouse clubs that sell gasoline are not considered gas stations); (5) restaurants located in the U.S.; and (6) shipping services purchased in the U.S. for courier, postal, and freight."

On this particular card, the two categories of spend that are the highest for me are: computer hardware, software, and cloud computing purchases, and restaurants located in the U.S.
I have another amex business gold card just for airline spend.

Typically the MR points are posted one full statement cycle after cycle closes (presuming that i have paid the bill on time.
so for instance on 4/1 my February base points and bonus points would post. I seem to recall that on the points summary of pending points, it would also reflect the pending bonus points as well.

I noticed that on 4/30 when the points posted for march, the bonus points did not post, I also confirmed that the pending points didn't reflect bonus points either.

my point of posting is please check your bonus points from march statements. It seems like there was an issue, that began after 4/21 (bonus points successfully posted on a different ABG), and affected 4/30 posting. It might only be my account, but I tend to doubt it.
amncal likes this.

Last edited by 98pct; May 14, 19 at 8:17 am
Old May 14, 19, 7:45 am

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
This has been happening to me as well and so far they have refused to fix it. I am on the phone with them for the third time right now.
Old May 15, 19, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by 98pct View Post
It seems like there was an issue, that began after 4/21 (bonus points successfully posted on a different ABG), and affected 4/30 posting. It might only be my account, but I tend to doubt it.
Hello, I got the new BRG in March and my first statement closed in April. Points from my April statement just posted and everything posted at 1x. Can you tell me when did you get your bonus points initially? I chatted with Amex and the rep said the bonus posts on a month lag. So bonus from the April statement would post in June. The rep advised me to wait 1 more month for my bonus. But sounds like the bonus should've posted with the regular points? I'm not sure if the rep was just making stuff up on the fly.
Old May 16, 19, 7:21 am

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
I Just talked to them again. This problem is affecting every single Business Gold Card. They are supposedly manually going through every single account and issuing the points. At least they are aware of the problem. The first three people that I had talked to had just decided to lie about the issue, so this is progress!
Old May 16, 19, 11:56 am
Original Poster

I received a phone call back yesterday explaining that it is affecting many people (they didn't say everyone).
told me they are aware and have no time line for resolving and that they would get back to me within 10 business days(or they would check in every 10 or so business days until resolved.

Typically march points and bonus points would be posted on 4/30 for me (depending on statement date)
Old May 19, 19, 11:51 pm

Programs: AS MVP
+1. Same exact deal. Called once and they told me to wait a month and everything was correct. Sounded wrong, so I did an online chat and they recognized the issue and said someone would call me. They did and said they needed more time. Got a message on Thursday that they are still working on it and will call back with an update on the 31st. Missing A LOT of points, pretty frustrating.
Old May 20, 19, 12:14 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, AF Silver, UA 1K, AA 2mm LT PLT
Yep, same here. Similarly took multiple calls and a supervisor to admit there was a problem. I’m missing 60K in 4x bonuses over the last two cycles. Supervisor claimed that the bonus points “were attached” to my account but not released due to the system failure. She did authorize 50K points as a goodwill gesture for the problem.
808traveler likes this.
Old May 23, 19, 4:51 am
Original Poster

Still not posted. This is pretty surprising.
Old May 23, 19, 10:27 am

Same issue here. First contacted AMEX regarding this on 4/30, and received callback simply stating they were aware of the problem.

I've had the card since November, and the 4X points posted correctly each month through my February statement. Beginning with my March statement, the bonus points stopped appearing and aren't reflected anywhere in my pending point activity, either.
Old May 23, 19, 10:47 am

My suspicion is that this problem is affecting all Business Gold accounts, but most cardholders probably just haven't noticed their missing points. It would make sense if it involves a failure with whichever program AMEX uses to identify the two unique 4X bonus categories on each member's billing statement.

In my MR point activity, the last correct statement (February) included the standard "See Card Bonus Detail" link. Starting with my March statement, there simply isn't a link to view bonus detail, as all purchases only earned 1X points.
Old May 23, 19, 7:07 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Alaska 75K
Iím experiencing the same thing. Youíre probably right, assume itís a system wide issue.

Doesnít bother me much, and wonít call or hassle them, as I am sure they are trying to fix it. I just have my March and April statements saved as PDFs in case it came to that. Might call in a couple months if not fixed by then, but really not stressing. (I am missing 40-60k in points from those two months...).

I chuckle at the people who get frustrated - life is way more complicated than bonus points not posting in timely manner
coolguy100 likes this.

Last edited by WestCoastPDX; May 23, 19 at 7:08 pm Reason: Typos!
Old May 24, 19, 2:59 am

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by amncal View Post
My suspicion is that this problem is affecting all Business Gold accounts, but most cardholders probably just haven't noticed their missing points. It would make sense if it involves a failure with whichever program AMEX uses to identify the two unique 4X bonus categories on each member's billing statement.

In my MR point activity, the last correct statement (February) included the standard "See Card Bonus Detail" link. Starting with my March statement, there simply isn't a link to view bonus detail, as all purchases only earned 1X points.
Not an issue for me. Have the "old" BRG and all bonus points are posting (use it mostly to buy gas.)
808traveler likes this.
Old May 24, 19, 5:29 am

Programs: Delta Plat, Alaska 75K
Originally Posted by Diplomatico View Post
Not an issue for me. Have the "old" BRG and all bonus points are posting (use it mostly to buy gas.)
Ah, good clarification. I assumed it was universal, but maybe only 'universal' to the new Gold.
Old May 30, 19, 9:15 pm

I have the new one. After I complained by chat, I got a call and the guy said it was all cards like mine. I didnít consider if it was new or old exclusively.
Old May 30, 19, 11:22 pm

Got the new biz gold in December. All my points posted properly until this May. Called about 2 weeks ago when i was missing about 3k MR from the 3x bonus. The membership rewards rep was really nice and actually gave me more than double what i was missing, for 6.5k total.

Search this Thread