NYC - > LAX business on MR points advice

Old May 13, 2019, 11:47 am
Original Poster

NYC - > LAX business on MR points advice

I want to travel from NYC -> Lax using MR points or transfers for a business class flight. The cheapest I can find for 2/13-2/17 next year is 200K for Delta and 126K for jet blue. I have always said that MR points have been horrible compared to my UR points, and once again, I see that United has it for 100K using my UR points.

I have collected a stash of MR points because there has been no opportunity to use them. Am I missing something?
Old May 13, 2019, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Brian Chen
I want to travel from NYC -> Lax using MR points or transfers for a business class flight. The cheapest I can find for 2/13-2/17 next year is 200K for Delta and 126K for jet blue. I have always said that MR points have been horrible compared to my UR points, and once again, I see that United has it for 100K using my UR points.

I have collected a stash of MR points because there has been no opportunity to use them. Am I missing something?
Are the quotes you're getting for using the Amex MR points as cash, or for first transferring them to an airline FFP, and then redeeming for an award ticket?

Have you checked for "SAAver" award availability on AA or AS at aa.com? British Airways is an Amex transfer partner, and BA Avios can be redeemed for award travel on both AA and AS.
Old May 13, 2019, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

THanks!
Old May 13, 2019, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Brian Chen
THanks!
You're welcome!

Note that Chase is currently offering a 30% transfer bonus for UR => BA transfers. Amex occasionally offers even greater transfer bonuses -- we've seen 40% and even 50% -- but there's no telling when the next Amex transfer bonus will happen, or whether SAAver seats on JFK/EWR-LAX nonstops will be available when they do.

How much of a risk taker are you?
Old May 13, 2019, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by guv1976
You're welcome!

Note that Chase is currently offering a 30% transfer bonus for UR => BA transfers. Amex occasionally offers even greater transfer bonuses -- we've seen 40% and even 50% -- but there's no telling when the next Amex transfer bonus will happen, or whether SAAver seats on JFK/EWR-LAX nonstops will be available when they do.

How much of a risk taker are you?
Also worth mentioning, BA has announced (sans details) an award price increase to take effect at the end of the month for travel on partner airlines including AA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.