Search

Platinum UK Card fee rising to £575!

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2019, 12:41 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines
Original Poster

Platinum UK Card fee rising to £575!

https://www.headforpoints.com/2019/0...ecoming-metal/

As per the article above, the annual fee is rising to £575 (from £450). New cards will be metal.

Very few extra benefits. The main one being a £10 monthly credit for Addison-Lee - great if you live in London, useless for everyone else. What not an Uber credit like in the US?
Markie likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 1:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
I think on balance I won’t keep the card beyond my October renewal. Was in two minds with the benefits vs. £450 cost last year and this make the decision easy for me. If they would have provided some extra benefits/bonus points like the US card I might have overlooked the increase but £10 a month Addison Lee credit is useless to me.
Old May 13, 2019, 3:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
I am a recent Amex Plat which I have in addition to the BAPP card. For me the Plat card was fine for the first year after a self referral got me 9,000 Avios and 35,000 MR points plus all the other benefits. I was in two minds whether to renew but now I am now fairly sure I will cancel the Plat card.

1) I don’t use the Plat card for spending at all (apart from statement credit offers) as my BAPP pays 1.5 avios per £
2) I am Gold on both BA and KL so normally have lounge access anyway (maybe 2/3 trips a year on U2/LH).
3) I don’t live in London so the Addison Lee credit is no use whatsoever. I appreciate that Amex’s UK customer base is London centric but some people in the North earn fairly decent salaries and are not crippled with £3k a month mortgages.
4) The travel insurance is fine but is probably only worth £150
5) I do about 8 Hilton stays a year so the extra points for Gold are appreciated. Free breakfast is not really an issue as the vast majority of my stays are for work anyway.

My renewal is not until February so I will try to keep an open mind until then. I am tracking the number of lounge entries and the value of the statement credits.
Old May 13, 2019, 3:53 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
I could just about justify the £450 when last year when I took into account my Amex Offers (2x£200 on travel, cashback etc) plus numerous lounge visits as I mostly travel Y, but I'm not sure I can justify the £575 at all (more than an extra £10+ a month). Will probably go to a lower Amex Card and get a Curve Metal
Old May 13, 2019, 4:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
The main one being a £10 monthly credit for Addison-Lee - great if you live in London, useless for everyone else.
Originally Posted by Gomac
£10 a month Addison Lee credit is useless to me.
Originally Posted by tigertanaka
I don’t live in London so the Addison Lee credit is no use whatsoever.
As an aside, one thing most people seem to be overlooking is that Addison Lee [technically] works in other cities, UK and overseas, through a partnership with local companies. I've never used the service and have no idea whether it's any good - but presumably the discount would apply to those journeys too...

In any case, my renewal is due at the end of July and, as a loyal non-churner of many years, this is probably the final straw for me. I do have several Hertz car hires booked on my card in September (at least one of which avails of the 4-hour grace period), so I'll be waiting until October to cancel. Hopefully they won't decide to remove the pro-rata refund in the meantime!
Old May 13, 2019, 9:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Does anyone know when the centurion lounge will open at T3?

I visited the PP lounge and well - at least the whiskey was for free....

Think will still stick to the card as my wife has now her partner card and uses it for her business travel (insurance/ and uses the ES lounge many times).
Also London-based and will definitely use the Add Lee bonus....
Old May 13, 2019, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Duck1981
Does anyone know when the centurion lounge will open at T3?

I visited the PP lounge and well - at least the whiskey was for free....

Think will still stick to the card as my wife has now her partner card and uses it for her business travel (insurance/ and uses the ES lounge many times).
Also London-based and will definitely use the Add Lee bonus....
They are still saying 2019. My experience of watching lounges being built at UK airports is that you can probably add 6-9 months to that. The Aspire lounge in Gatwick South is currently six months or so behind. Until you see how tough the security rules are for the contractors on getting materials and machinery in and out on airside spots you can't begin to realise how hard it is.
Old May 13, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: Onetime bmi * Gold lifetime membership, BA Gold, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold
I’m really not sure what Amex in the UK is playing out. I can understand the changes to restrict churn, even if they are a little extreme across so many cards. The increase to the Platinum fee with the only tangible benefit being a £10 monthly credit with a London-centric taxi company seems mad. Even with spin it’s very clear there are no enhancements. I had a metal Curve card and it didn’t look as good as the plastic one. I’m reluctant to pay £10 a month for such a card.

In my view Amex is already too London focused and need to do more to offer benefits in the rest of the UK. On the Centurion Lounge, I visited one in Philadelphia last week. It was a total cattle market - massively full with people jostling others. I went in and left in 5 minutes. It was far more pleasant sitting in a seat just outside the lounge!

I’ve been with Amex for 31 years, don’t churn, but will express my distaste. I might go. Luckily my renewal is this month so this should not be a decision until next year.

bmifly
Old May 13, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: BAEC
I'm new to Amex but looking at the point earnings etc. the US card looks so much better. The UK card looks a bit weak but so far with the benefits such Uber credit lounge access etc it was OK. That's quite hefty. PLus I don't use Addison Lee as there're better and cheaper services available and the £200 on onefinestay house rental. I'd probably continue to user AirBnB.

That fee increase looks too hefty.
Old May 14, 2019, 11:32 am

Programs: *A G, HHonors Gold, Marriot Gold, Skywards Silver
UK AMEX Platinum - Metal Card + More!

Just read an article from Head for Points, and from the 11th of June, UK Platinum card will be metal, along with an increase in the annual fee from £450 to £575. (I can't post the link because I haven't made 5 posts, but a quick google search will show it!)

Unfortunately, still no benefits (apart from the lounge access + insurance) that really offset the yearly fee, at least from my understanding.

Also, I just upgraded to the Platinum card today, before having read this! I would be interested to hear how other fellow UK Platinum members offset their yearly fee. My thought process was for the lounges + events + perks in other countries (Singapore and Hong Kong, with the lounges you've got access to, for example).
Old May 14, 2019, 12:03 pm

Hi all, wondering if you can help. In light of this price rise, I want to get a Platinum before the 11th June. Both myself and my partner have our own Gold credit card, so we wouldn’t get the MR bonus. I’ve been told that we could still get 20,000 MR points if we:

1) Take our a green charge card (£60)
2) Upgrade the green card to the platinum for 20,000 MR points

Has anyone got any experience of doing this? Is it guaranteed that every green charge card offers the bonus? I don’t want to pay £60 for a card I don’t need if I won’t be eligible. Can I get a pro rata refund of the green card if I cancel or upgrade to platinum? And how long do I need to wait to upgrade to platinum - is there a limit?

Also, when applying, I’ve seen it asks for ‘personal income’ and ‘additional personal income’. Do I put in my partner’s income in the latter? I’m a bit confused!

Thanks for any help you can offer!
Old May 14, 2019, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Megan Murray
Hi all, wondering if you can help. In light of this price rise, I want to get a Platinum before the 11th June. Both myself and my partner have our own Gold credit card, so we wouldn’t get the MR bonus. I’ve been told that we could still get 20,000 MR points if we:

1) Take our a green charge card (£60)
2) Upgrade the green card to the platinum for 20,000 MR points

Has anyone got any experience of doing this? Is it guaranteed that every green charge card offers the bonus? I don’t want to pay £60 for a card I don’t need if I won’t be eligible. Can I get a pro rata refund of the green card if I cancel or upgrade to platinum? And how long do I need to wait to upgrade to platinum - is there a limit?

Also, when applying, I’ve seen it asks for ‘personal income’ and ‘additional personal income’. Do I put in my partner’s income in the latter? I’m a bit confused!

Thanks for any help you can offer!
Hello! This was actually my exact situation! I had a opened a Green card account (my first AMEX) account, and even before the first statement (around 2 weeks after getting approved to the Green card) went to the upgrade page of the Platinum card, and got 20.000MR for £1000 in three months, I believe.

My upgrade got completed today, I’ll give them a call tomorrow and ask if this seems to be confirmed, and can report back.
Old May 14, 2019, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by itsilyas

Hello! This was actually my exact situation! I had a opened a Green card account (my first AMEX) account, and even before the first statement (around 2 weeks after getting approved to the Green card) went to the upgrade page of the Platinum card, and got 20.000MR for £1000 in three months, I believe.

My upgrade got completed today, I’ll give them a call tomorrow and ask if this seems to be confirmed, and can report back.
Thank you so much for sharing your experience, sounds promising then! It would be great to know if your upgrade goes smoothly. Do you know how soon after you got the green card that the upgrade offer came up?
Old May 18, 2019, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I got my new beniefit pack through the post today.

Whilst the new Centurion lounge at T3 sounds good , I have a BA gold card that gets me T3 lounge access when flying One world ( ie BA ,Qantas ,Cathay) which serves my needs.

The increase in the fee to GBP 575 is not welcome though. (renewing in September). I will probably give it another year and then see,

Regards

TBS
Old May 18, 2019, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Megan Murray

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, sounds promising then! It would be great to know if your upgrade goes smoothly. Do you know how soon after you got the green card that the upgrade offer came up?
hi! So I just got the upgrade all completed, and confirmed that I’ve got the 20.000 MR points for 1000£ spend in three months. Also, everything went smoothly and my Green card was working up until I confirmed with them I received the new one.

Re. The upgrade offer. I just went to the Platinum card upgrade page. It was not a targeted offer or anything, and I believe that they give it to any Green cardmember that wants to upgrade to Platinum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.