Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why Does Amex insist on a metal Platinum Card?

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2019, 1:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
I assume you are talking about TSA - I wasn't. The metal detectors in many courthouses are more sensitive than the TSA - in my experience.
Same here. I can’t go through the scanner with my wallet in certain courthouses because both my Plat and my Chase Sapp are metal. Not a problem, as I now put my wallet in my briefcase going in.
Old May 7, 2019, 1:48 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Chase will send you a generic plastic version of the Reserve, surprised Amex won’t..
Old May 7, 2019, 6:03 pm

Programs: Delta DM for now
Plain and simple: Metal cards make people feel special.

Considering it takes all of about 0.5 seconds to grab my wallet and put it with my phone in a bin/bag before going through the metal detector, I think this would be a pretty easy inconvenience to live with. The card is pretty useless for everyday spend anyway, so why not just leave it out when not travelling?
Diplomatico likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 7:23 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by TuxTom
Plain and simple: Metal cards make people feel special.
Some people.
origin likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 9:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by STS-134
If you leave the Plat card at home, how do you get into the Centurion lounges?
i keep my travel related cards in a travel wallet. That things comes with me on trips but stays home otherwise.

The Plat card is my flagship card, but my Blue Business Plus and Gold cards are my everyday workhorse cards.
Old May 8, 2019, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by EmptyKim
I just put my wallet in my carry-on along with my phone when going through security.
This!

My Platinum card is plastic; however my Marriott Visa is metal. I rarely use my American Express Platinum in person, saving it for the airfare bonus, and other purchases with specific bonuses (usually online). Some hotels insist on processing the card on arrival (though thankfully rare), claiming they cannot "use the 'card on file' (linked to the reservation). Also, Centurion clubs need to see it.
Old May 8, 2019, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I used to be more bothered when metal used to mean no contactless functionality. Now that they've mostly figured out a solution, I'm mostly fine either way. (Besides, I already put my wallet in my bag before going through security anyway, so that's not a problem.) "Mostly" because I saw this gem recently:

That said, I'm not going to lie--metal cards do feel higher quality.

Originally Posted by ethernal
It is "hypothetically" recyclable, but to recycle them I am supposed to ship them back to the card company... and that shipping and handling takes far, far more energy and resources than the hypothetical benefit of recycling.
Speaking of which, this report might be interesting to some. I'm not sure an individual envelope containing a metal card is going to be that much of an impact, but I can see it being significant in aggregate.
Old May 8, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Originally Posted by tmiw
I used to be more bothered when metal used to mean no contactless functionality. Now that they've mostly figured out a solution, I'm mostly fine either way. (Besides, I already put my wallet in my bag before going through security anyway, so that's not a problem.) "Mostly" because I saw this gem recently:
Just a question regarding this... so let's say you are out of country, and the payment terminal accepts contactless but not AMEX.
Can you still pay? Or it's just irrelevant, contactless is just a mean, and if the merchant doesn't take AMEX, being contactless won't solve anything?
Old May 8, 2019, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gasolin
Just a question regarding this... so let's say you are out of country, and the payment terminal accepts contactless but not AMEX.
Can you still pay? Or it's just irrelevant, contactless is just a mean, and if the merchant doesn't take AMEX, being contactless won't solve anything?
It's a means of using your card. If the merchant doesn't accept AmEx, it's not going to help.
Old May 8, 2019, 2:45 pm

I always had issues with my plastic Gold and Platinum cards breaking right at the magnetic strip and would go through 2 or 3 of each a year.

The contactless metal cards are a big improvement. Two thumbs up.
Travel22 likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 3:28 pm

Programs: CO Plat
Originally Posted by tutkija80
I always had issues with my plastic Gold and Platinum cards breaking right at the magnetic strip and would go through 2 or 3 of each a year.
Same here. I kept having to replace my plastic Plat card because of cracks in the mag strip. For whatever reason it only seamed to happen on that card.
Old May 8, 2019, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by mia
One reason is that they have committed to reduce use of conventional plastics, and metal is the only alternative that is ready to use today:

Read more here:

https://www.creditcards.com/credit-c...astic-card.php
Bunch of bunk.

You can read about Coco-cola's push to reduce usage of plastic as well. And find sites where they actually track their progress, and you find they actually dont' do much.

So, how many people recycle their metal cards?
Diplomatico likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by STS-134
If you leave the Plat card at home, how do you get into the Centurion lounges?
You can get in without a card. They don't like it though.
Old May 9, 2019, 3:38 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
This makes no sense, as a couple of vendors I've been to have the same Clover reader and it works just fine. Isn't the Plat the same thickness and dimensions of a standard card anyway?

Originally Posted by tmiw
"Mostly" because I saw this gem recently:

Old May 9, 2019, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
This makes no sense, as a couple of vendors I've been to have the same Clover reader and it works just fine. Isn't the Plat the same thickness and dimensions of a standard card anyway?
From what I've heard, the dimensions of the card slot on the earlier hardware revisions aren't what they should be. The card still works, of course, but repeated insertions of metal cards eventually damage it.

Also, FWIW, one of the comments here indicates that the Platinum is definitely a lot thicker than CSP/CSR--to the point where it won't fit into gas pumps. It's possible that AmEx tweaked the card later to fix that, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.