AMEX USA Blue Cash Preferred Refresh

Hide Wikipost
Old May 21, 19, 11:28 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: mia
Wiki Link
You will earn a reward of
  1. 6% on the first $6,000 of eligible purchases in a calendar year at: supermarkets located in the U.S. (superstores and warehouse clubs are not considered supermarkets);
  2. 6% on eligible purchases of U.S. streaming subscriptions from select providers (the current list of select providers is available at https://americanexpress.com/rewards-info). If your subscription is bundled with another product or service or billed by a third party (such as a digital platform, a cable, telecommunications, or internet provider, or a car manufacturer), your purchase may not be eligible;
  3. 3% on eligible purchases on transit, including trains, taxicabs, ride share services, ferries, tolls, parking, buses, and subways (airfare, car rental and cruises are not considered transit);
  4. 3% on eligible purchases of gasoline at gas stations located in the U.S. (superstores, supermarkets and warehouse clubs that sell gasoline are not considered gas stations);
  5. and 1% on all other eligible purchases.
Print Wikipost

Old May 2, 19, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
AMEX USA Blue Cash Preferred Refresh

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ameri...tores-removed/

American Express has announced that on May 9th the Blue Cash Preferred will refresh and two new categories will be added, these categories are:
  • 6% cash back on 20 U.S. streaming services including Amazon Prime, YouTube, Netlix, HBO, Apple Music, Pandora, Amazon Kindle Unlimited & Audible
  • 3% cash back on transit purchases including parking, tolls, train services and rideshare services (including Lyft & Uber)
The card will stop earning 3% cash back on purchases made at department stores. The other card features will remain the same including:
  • 6% back at U.S. supermarkets up to $6,000 in purchases (after you hit this cap you earn 1% cash back)
  • 3% back at U.S. gas stations
  • 1% back on all other purchases
  • $95 annual fee
It's also coming with a re-design:

mia likes this.
Old May 4, 19, 9:01 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Better, but still no deal from me. Between the AF and the caps, you have to hit a very specific number each year to come out ahead. Even then, not by enough to get up in the morning. Another card that makes you think you're getting a lot back, but the average person isn't.
Old May 4, 19, 10:44 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
....the caps, you have to hit a very specific number each year to come out ahead.....
I am not interested in cash back cards, but I do not see this. The only cap is on supermarket spend.

$360 = $6,000 x .06 = gross rewards from Supermarket category
-120 = $6,000 x .02 = opportunity cost vs Citi DoubleCash
-95 = Annual Fee
$145 = net reward from Supermarket category alone

...and the rewards from streaming, gasoline and transit are extra (depending on the other cards that you hold).
Old May 4, 19, 11:29 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mia View Post
I am not interested in cash back cards, but I do not see this. The only cap is on supermarket spend.

$360 = $6,000 x .06 = gross rewards from Supermarket category
-120 = $6,000 x .02 = opportunity cost vs Citi DoubleCash
-95 = Annual Fee
$145 = net reward from Supermarket category alone

...and the rewards from streaming, gasoline and transit are extra (depending on the other cards that you hold).
The supermarket category isn't all that hard to get 5% cash back without an annual fee, diminishing the opportunity. Although not always year-round. Like I said, the additions do make it better. It's nice to having streaming services and transit, although I'm curious to see how much people really net from it. Seems more like flashy marketing.

If it fits your spending habits, a $145 reward that you wouldn't have had otherwise is better than nothing. It takes a lot of work and discipline to do so though. All the while not coming with a welcome bonus. Many welcome bonuses will pay you multiple years worth of this card's single year "achievement"
Old May 4, 19, 11:54 am

Better, but still no deal from me. Between the AF and the caps, you have to hit a very specific number each year to come out ahead. Even then, not by enough to get up in the morning. Another card that makes you think you're getting a lot back, but the average person isn't.
I do agree with you, unless youíre spending a lot on gas, transportation, and streaming, itís still basically only $95 better each year than the no fee Blue Cash Everyday card.

Old May 4, 19, 5:21 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
The supermarket category isn't all that hard to get 5% cash back without an annual fee, diminishing the opportunity....
$6,000 is about 4 months' supermarket spend for me, so the opportunity to earn 5% during one quarter elsewhere would not change the calculation for me.
Old May 4, 19, 6:50 pm

Programs: Gold Card
$6,000 is about 4 months' supermarket spend for me.
Wowzers.

I put ~$35k on it two years in a row, and only netted ~1.7% cash back each year, which was an overall loss considering the citi double cash rewards. I used it for any and every purchase, and did not change spending habits. I ended up downgrading to the free version when I got the gold card. Probably get burned on this too, as I'm already struggling to find a valuable way to cash out 100k points.
Old May 11, 19, 11:15 am

The new card design looks good. Does anyone know if they are being distributed already? When I called the reps, werent sure.
Old May 12, 19, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by balwx View Post
The new card design looks good. Does anyone know if they are being distributed already? When I called the reps, werent sure.
I looks like a darker version (with a slightly different background pattern) of the Cash Magnet card - which used to be dark blue as well, but now Amex seems to have changed to a lighter blue in order to differentiate from the refreshed BCP. In terms of your question, you can just request a replacement card online (marking your current one as damaged) and find out in a matter of a couple of days (the 2-day expedited shipping option has always been there for free for me, but you have to click on the "Select Shipping speed" link during the process to see the option.

Old May 17, 19, 11:05 am

Yeah, I'm not sure if the physical Cash Magnet cards have been adjusted, but it appears that all the card art otherwise has been lightened - in the app/on the web site someone replaced it with a low-resolution, pixelated version; in Apple Pay, it changed overnight last week. Personally, I'm not a fan just because it's a bit jarring and the plastic card looked really nice, but I get the desire to have slightly different looks among cards in the same family.
Old May 17, 19, 2:23 pm

$6,000 is about 4 months' supermarket spend for me, so the opportunity to earn 5% during one quarter elsewhere would not change the calculation for me.
I have to ask...what are you spending $1500/mo at the supermarket on? Expensive prescriptions?
Old May 17, 19, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by halamadrid View Post
I looks like a darker version (with a slightly different background pattern) of the Cash Magnet card - which used to be dark blue as well, but now Amex seems to have changed to a lighter blue in order to differentiate from the refreshed BCP. In terms of your question, you can just request a replacement card online (marking your current one as damaged) and find out in a matter of a couple of days (the 2-day expedited shipping option has always been there for free for me, but you have to click on the "Select Shipping speed" link during the process to see the option.

That's exactly what I did. I will report back when the card arrives
Old May 18, 19, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by jags86 View Post

I have to ask...what are you spending $1500/mo at the supermarket on? Expensive prescriptions?
I also probably spend that much at grocery stores. In addition to groceries, I purchase plenty of gift cards as well (gas, restaurants, amazon, ebay, etc.) since they also get 2x or sometimes 4x fuel reward points.
Old May 19, 19, 11:30 am

I downgraded to the non-af version too. I only spend around 350 a month in groceries. AMEX doesn't consider Home Chef groceries, so I only received 1% on those charges. I've since moved the Home Chef charges to a 2% card and I will use the AMEX Blue NF on the off quarters of grocery spending from Discover and Chase. The 6% on stream is ridiculous. Not many people spend more than $20 - $30 bucks a month on streaming. Wow, a whole $1.80. The 3% on transportation is a little better, but still not sure if it's worth the $95.00 annual fee. If I was spending 500.00 + a month on food (technically I am, but again, they do not consider home meal kits groceries), then I'd keep it. I am prob. just going to open a Merrill Lynch account and transfer my Roth to that account so I can get platinum rewards on my credit cards. At least you earn actually cash instead of statement credits.

Last edited by comptalk; May 19, 19 at 11:51 am
Old May 19, 19, 11:48 am

Not to nitpick but it's actually 6% on streaming, so $1.80 cash back per month

And, yes, it's pretty tough to beat the BofA card suite if you're willing to satisfy the $100k requirement for Platinum Honors status—especially with the newly buffed Cash Rewards card. I have yet to figure out how BofA makes any money on this, but most people probably don't exploit this program the way an FT-er would.

Search this Thread