Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA: (many) IAP fares can now be booked online (May 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA: (many) IAP fares can now be booked online (May 2019)

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2019, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by safari ari
Why wouldn't they? If it is similar to an OTA booking that you can do on Amex already, and people have and still get credit for, additionally it should be the same credit as if it was booked over the phone. Or is this a reference to airlines special fares from the IAP?
Specifically referencing booking IAP fares via Amex Travel online.

I agree with the "why wouldn't they" sentiment, but I've yet to see a data point and...well...stranger things have happened in the world of FFPs.
Old May 12, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Yup, seeing an increasing number of airlines now, i keep checking JFK-FRA for SQ which is a good one and that still comes up at the usual rate, not showing the sub $2k rate w/ IAP discount (yet).

edited to add- well, IAP discount is showing for SEA-SIN nonstops on SQ, also getting OZ and JL discounted fares showing ex Seattle and YVR. JLs discounted X fares to deep SE asia are very reasonable ex YVR, even better w another 10% lopped off and the 5x MR accrual.

edited to add more- Wow, transparency is a cool thing. Finding that CI fares ex-YVR get significantly more than the 10% discount. Yvr-tpe-sgn goes for $3590 but IAP rate shows as $2400. That’s nearly $1200 discount, closer to 30%!!

Last edited by stephem; May 12, 2019 at 9:09 am
Old May 12, 2019, 9:51 am
Suspended

So, can we now confirm that the same price offered by calling is online? And by booking online there is no $39 fee?

I have had Amex set up a few profiles for people that travel with me that I purchase the tickets for. Are these profiles saved somewhere if I book online? I can’t seem to find it.
af fp likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 11:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by stephem
Yup, seeing an increasing number of airlines now, i keep checking JFK-FRA for SQ which is a good one and that still comes up at the usual rate, not showing the sub $2k rate w/ IAP discount (yet).
I found a substantially discounted (20%) SQ J fare SFO-BKK.
Old May 13, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by QtownDave
So, can we now confirm that the same price offered by calling is online? And by booking online there is no $39 fee?

I have had Amex set up a few profiles for people that travel with me that I purchase the tickets for. Are these profiles saved somewhere if I book online? I can’t seem to find it.
That was the case for me last week. For my wife I had to enter all her information manually and did not see a button to save it. Plat Travel Services already had her information from a 2017 booking and I wasn't able to pull it up, but AmexTravel.com might be different.

My question, and I hope I don't need to find out, is if I can call PTS if plans change (like if Delta pulls a famous Saturday night schedule change). Calling the general AmexTravel # is the same as calling Orbitz in terms of customer service.
Old May 13, 2019, 11:13 am

you want customer service, pay $39.
you don't need hand holding, save $39.
dw likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 2:40 pm

I've found Google Flights fares to be not credible

Originally Posted by Valveking
On the American Express site. First set of search results at top shows insider fares and then right below that it shows IAP fares. I just stumbled on this by accident looking for some business class tickets to Paris and the prices were roughly 10% less than Google flights.
I don't often find attractive fares on Google Flights.
milypan likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 2:13 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

I called this morning to price out a IAP fare...and the agent told me that the roll out of the online IAP availability is in fact happening....it was slightly delayed but we should be able to book it ourselves soon... it sounds like some of you are already seeing results.
Old May 16, 2019, 1:44 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Colin
you want customer service, pay $39.
you don't need hand holding, save $39.
Is that a confirmation that Amextravel.com is not the same as Platinum Travel Services, even if I book a IAP fare? Because as I stated, I don't need hand holding for booking, it's schedule changes. I will pay the $39 if I know the website is different support.
Old May 16, 2019, 8:35 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Colin
10% on VS & DL showing
Do you need to log in to see the discount? I just looked at some DL flights in D1 (business class) and I'm seeing exactly the same price DL is offering for a Z class ticket, although it's a rather strange fare as the fare code starts with a letter that's normally used for deeply discounted coach when I look at the fare rules on the DL website, although there's absolutely no wording about it being a coach fare with an instant upgrade.
Old May 16, 2019, 8:36 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Do you need to log in to see the discount? I just looked at some DL flights in D1 (business class) and I'm seeing exactly the same price DL is offering for a Z class ticket.
Yep...I think you do...otherwise it just works like any 3rd party booking agent.
Old May 16, 2019, 9:16 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Do you need to log in to see the discount?
IAP fares are only available to Platinum members, so that would be "yes."
it's a rather strange fare as the fare code starts with a letter that's normally used for deeply discounted coach
These have been around forever. They're called UP fares.
Old May 17, 2019, 3:07 am

Thanks for this thread - very useful and I'm finding some good fares for future reference.

One thing I found were some options to book connecting flights that would not normally be available when booking directly with an airline because they are not in the same alliance, e.g. an AA domestic flight connecting to an SK international flight.

Does anyone know if one holds a ticket issued by AmexTravel like this, how does it work for IRROPS or even baggage handling. If I check in with AA, can they issue boarding passes, check luggage, etc. for the entire itinerary? And what happens if there is a delay and the connecting flight is missed?
Old May 17, 2019, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by SusanDK
Does anyone know if one holds a ticket issued by AmexTravel like this, how does it work for IRROPS or even baggage handling. If I check in with AA, can they issue boarding passes, check luggage, etc. for the entire itinerary? And what happens if there is a delay and the connecting flight is missed?
IRROPS, the regular IATA convention applies - carrier that delivers you late is responsible for rebooking. Bags would be checked through on a single ticket. Whether AA can check you in with SK and issue a BP depends on the integration between their reservation systems. Probably not.

Carriers do not need to be in the same alliance to sell tickets on each others' flights. For example, UA will happily sell Asia connections on CX, HX, and JQ, none of which is *A.
SusanDK and IndyHoosier like this.
Old May 26, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: DL GM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Another data point:

Just booked Delta Premium Select to Japan for $1295 + $39 fee, compared to $1493 from Delta, an 11% discount. (SEA-NRT on DL connecting to ITM on ANA, then returning NRT-SEA on DL). There were some options that showed up online, but no reasonably priced DL options. However when I called in they were able to get the exact routing I wanted at a price competitive with the AA options online. So while there are some options that show up online, it's still worth calling if the routing you want isn't there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.