Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA: (many) IAP fares can now be booked online (May 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA: (many) IAP fares can now be booked online (May 2019)

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2019, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by dll
Depends. Sometimes I'm looking for the best possible fare in a market and might call to confirm that's the case. In other cases I want specific carriers or flights. I know they have relationships with JL that I'm not seeing reflected in their IAP fares online (at least in my cursory glance), so if JL were my preference I'd probably call.
I'm seeing JL now with ~10% discount, along with a couple other Asian carriers, but no CX or SG.
Old May 1, 2019, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by mia
How is that evidence that it is intentional? The IAP fares would have always existed in the system that the telephone agents use to book, along with the public fares. Ticking one box could have inadvertently published a restricted set of fares on the consumer facing version of the site.

If this is a feature it will be confirmed when someone calls to ask, and eventually published.

Are the fares bookable?
Appears intentional to me. And unnecessary to call (although as mentioned already, could be a good idea). Cheers.
“To receive discount, the purchase of the qualifying First, Business, or Premium Economy Class ticket/s on a participating airline must be made can be made online through Amextravel.com or over the phone through American Express Travel and paid in full with an American Express Card in the U.S. Platinum Card Member’s or U.S. Centurion®. Member’s name.”
Old May 1, 2019, 12:01 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jeepie
“To receive discount, the purchase of the qualifying First, Business, or Premium Economy Class ticket/s on a participating airline must be made can be made online through Amextravel.com or over the phone through American Express Travel and paid in full with an American Express Card in the U.S. Platinum Card Member’s or U.S. Centurion®. Member’s name.”
Where do you see this?

This page: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/t...rline-program/ still has the telephone-only language.

To receive discount, the purchase of the qualifying First, Business, or Premium Economy Class ticket/s on a participating airline must be made over the phone through American Express Travel (Platinum Travel Service, Business Platinum Travel, or Centurion Travel Service) and paid in full with an American Express Card in the U.S. Platinum Card Member’s or U.S. Centurion® Member’s name.
At least one blogger is reporting this change, but no quotation from any American Express representative:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/amex-a...counts-online/
Old May 1, 2019, 12:03 pm

10% on VS & DL showing
Old May 1, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
This does look promising - although doesn't look like you can book a mixed class itinerary.
Old May 1, 2019, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Where do you see this?

This page: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/t...rline-program/ still has the telephone-only language.

At least one blogger is reporting this change, but no quotation from any American Express representative:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/amex-a...counts-online/
I logged in, selected Travel, Book, entered (dummy) details for an international trip, scrolled down to an option highlighted as International Program (light blue border), clicked on the “?” at the top of the box INTERNATIONAL AIRLINE PROGRAM: PLATINUM CARD® BENEFIT, and it was in the popup. Note I’m using an iPad in case it may be different for you. Ymmv. Cheers.

Old May 1, 2019, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Wonderful.
Old May 1, 2019, 3:13 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
I'm seeing the blue box for BA, but not VS. Despite that, both BA and VS fares are pricing cheaper via Amex than on Google Flights.

Old May 1, 2019, 5:02 pm
mhy

Programs: JGC
Do they show JAL (premium economy or business class) online?

If yes I may apply for the Amex Plat card.
Old May 1, 2019, 5:20 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mhy
[Do they show JAL (premium economy or business class) online?
Yes, but perhaps not yet on every route:

Originally Posted by dll
....I know they have relationships with JL that I'm not seeing reflected in their IAP fares online (at least in my cursory glance), so if JL were my preference I'd probably call.
Originally Posted by jbeans
I'm seeing JL now with ~10% discount, along with a couple other Asian carriers, but no CX or SG.
Old May 1, 2019, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Great news if this holds and expands. I believe IAP fares have been visible online for a while for some non-US cards that have the program (or something similar).
jediwho likes this.
Old May 1, 2019, 5:43 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by jbeans
Seeing more on certain routes.

Last edited by safari ari; May 1, 2019 at 5:48 pm
Old May 11, 2019, 3:14 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
I'm seeing the blue box for BA, but not VS. Despite that, both BA and VS fares are pricing cheaper via Amex than on Google Flights.

Interesting that you see BA in the "blue box" because I could not find it for my upcoming route. However, when I called they did quote an IAP rate.
Old May 11, 2019, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Worth a double check - has anyone flown yet on IAP fares booked online? I'm assuming they still earn relevant airline FFP/elite credit (along with 5X MR) like the phone IAP fares but would be good to know for sure.
Old May 11, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by gooselee
Worth a double check - has anyone flown yet on IAP fares booked online? I'm assuming they still earn relevant airline FFP/elite credit (along with 5X MR) like the phone IAP fares but would be good to know for sure.
Why wouldn't they? If it is similar to an OTA booking that you can do on Amex already, and people have and still get credit for, additionally it should be the same credit as if it was booked over the phone. Or is this a reference to airlines special fares from the IAP?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.