Best Transfer Partner for PDX-DPS?

Old Apr 27, 19, 11:18 am
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: DL PM (and falling fast!), AA EXP, IHG Spire, IC Amb
Best Transfer Partner for PDX-DPS?

Hello AMEX forum peeps!

I am well-versed in the fine art of the mileage game but don't have any experience with AMEX points.

I mileage run regularly and also go to Bali 2x a year and I want my brother, his wife, and their infant to come with me next time.

They are willing to fly out of PDX or SEA and would prefer First Class to DPS.

No overnight layovers, can't fly to any other departure cities (all the things I don't mind doing on my many vacations I take every year).

We went to Thailand last year and they were able to score First Class on UA with UA miles and had a good time.

What would be the best airline to look at for this route for either First or Business Class? They have no status with any airline. I'm guessing CX?

We would prefer SQ but SQ’s connection times are too long for someone with an infant. LoL

Their mileage bank all from Spend only:

AMEX: 600,000 MR Points
UA: 1,450,000 Miles

thank you!!!!

Last edited by 355F1; Apr 27, 19 at 12:04 pm
Old Apr 27, 19, 12:55 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Bombay Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
AwardHacker
Old Apr 29, 19, 10:17 am
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: DL PM (and falling fast!), AA EXP, IHG Spire, IC Amb
Does anyone else have any thoughts?

That award site shows unicorns. For example, DL wants 710,000 miles for a trip when awardhacker says its 180,000.
Old Apr 29, 19, 10:35 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by 355F1 View Post
....DL wants 710,000 miles for a trip when awardhacker says its 180,000.
180,000 is likely the lowest possible redemption for that route, but there is no assurance it will be available on your dates, or many dates. Delta no longer publishes award charts which means the maximum is likely to be based on the fare (in dollars) converted to miles.
Old Apr 29, 19, 11:07 pm

I'd say search through United. F all the way to DPS will be difficult (J is more realistic). Through United you could probably find space on BR (Eva Air) from SEA connecting in TPE. You can book with United or if you want to use your MR points you can transfer to Aeroplan and book that way. If United has saver space then Aeroplan should have it as well. This is just one straight forward option that comes to mind. The trip that you are planning is complex in that you want 4 seats (not sure if you need a seat for the infant), premium cabins, and departure/arrival points that require work to find space. It's doable but will require work, and flexibility. Delta is also possible, but will likely require more points/miles p/seat unless you're looking far in advance and can find space on one of Delta's partners (MU, CZ, GA).
Old Apr 30, 19, 12:38 am

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by 355F1 View Post
Does anyone else have any thoughts?

My one thought is that your family needs to temper their expectations -- I understand they have an infant, but you outline the things you are willing to do for an award booking (layover, positioning flights), so help them understand that what they want is going to be a challenge, especially needing multiple seats.

I'd at least see if they'd consider YVR as a third airport option. It's closer to Seattle than Portland, and passports are required for Bali so the border crossing shouldn't be a concern. With Air Canada you may find more ways to use UA (or Amex->Aeroplan) miles?

I haven't used it but a lot of folks talk about an ExpertFlyer subscription for finding saver availability and setting alerts.

Something they can consider is if you find one award but not two, use the Amex miles at ~$0.01 each to "Pay with Points" to buy the second ticket as a revenue fare. When I went to China I booked my wife as a cash fare to go with my award booking so we could be on the same flights.

Search this Thread