The Hotel Collection-property gives no credit

Old Apr 23, 19, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

The Hotel Collection-property gives no credit

So the property gave me no credit (and no notification that I was booked via The Hotel Collection). I've had no issues using Fine Hotels and Resorts.
Amex says they cannot force the property to do anything. They called the property which said a credit was given, but on my folio the only "credit" is my card being charged.

Is this just the way with The Hotel Collection?
Old Apr 23, 19, 1:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Did you have spend at the property to which the credit should have been applied? If so, I would think that you could do a partial dispute. [Remember that the credit can't be used for basic room rate and tax, IIRC resort fees, etc. It's really for F&B and spa charges that were billed to the room.]
Old Apr 23, 19, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Did you have spend at the property to which the credit should have been applied? If so, I would think that you could do a partial dispute. [Remember that the credit can't be used for basic room rate and tax, IIRC resort fees, etc. It's really for F&B and spa charges that were billed to the room.]
Of course. Restaurant.

I cannot believe Amex says "it is up to their discretion". Really? They can choose whatever to do?

The Hotel Collection, from my one (and possibly only) experience seems poorly run, unlike FHR.
Old Apr 23, 19, 3:00 pm

While this is with Chase's LHR and not Amex. I remember reading a travel blog where a guy was staying at the Nomad in Las Vegas. Same type of thing happened, he was supposed to get $100 F&B credit. His confirmation & everything showed this. At the front desk through they said they will only honor $50 instead of $100. He noted that the front desk told him they aren't responsible for 3rd party bookings. Thankfully Chase reimbursed him for the error. But, it does appear at least that the hotels do have the power to honor or not honor the bookings. It'd be nice if amex would back you up & reimburse you though!
Old Apr 23, 19, 3:56 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
..... They called the property which said a credit was given, but on my folio the only "credit" is my card being charged.
Has the final credit card transaction posted, or is it still pending?

I would not attach any particular significance to statements made by front desk staff or their counterparts who answer the phone at American Express Travel. The hotel will have signed a contract and agreed to offer this benefit.
Old Apr 23, 19, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mendezka View Post
While this is with Chase's LHR and not Amex. I remember reading a travel blog where a guy was staying at the Nomad in Las Vegas. Same type of thing happened, he was supposed to get $100 F&B credit. His confirmation & everything showed this. At the front desk through they said they will only honor $50 instead of $100. He noted that the front desk told him they aren't responsible for 3rd party bookings. Thankfully Chase reimbursed him for the error. But, it does appear at least that the hotels do have the power to honor or not honor the bookings. It'd be nice if amex would back you up & reimburse you though!
Initial person on Amex said she cannot do anything, I asked to speak to a manager and her supervisor said I could get a $100 amex travel credit for future (I'll wait to see that before I believe it)

Originally Posted by mia View Post
Has the final credit card transaction posted, or is it still pending?

I would not attach any particular significance to statements made by front desk staff or their counterparts who answer the phone at American Express Travel. The hotel will have signed a contract and agreed to offer this benefit.
The folio is finalized. Obviously they can change it. I submitted a complaint to Hilton-we'll see if that does anything.
Just checked out so doubt my credit card would have anything finalized yet.
Old Apr 23, 19, 4:14 pm

Another point if it is Hilton. I would highly recommend reaching out to their twitter support. Give them the details of your booking, provide a picture of your confirmation & explain in detail what happened. I would also suggest not asking for any compensation at that time, just state that you are frustrated that you booked & the hotel won't honor the booking. In my experience, they've given me more than what I would even think about asking for.

I've tried calling into the Diamond Desk as well & basically got told their is nothing they can do for various situations. For whatever reason, the twitter support team seems to have way more leeway in helping you out.
Old May 6, 19, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

So I let Hilton have some time to respond (nothing), I don't have twitter so didn't use that route, but finally decided to call the hotel and speak to a manager. She apologized, saying the ball was dropped, wasn't even sure that Amex spoke to the hotel, and said she'd take care of it right away.
Hopefully it is taken care of. But I feel The Hotel Collection is a far inferior program and should be used with caution, as compared to Fine Hotels and Resorts.

Search this Thread