Can't find "Baggage Insurance Plan" on claim website?

Old Apr 22, 19, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Can't find "Baggage Insurance Plan" on claim website?

Some luggage got lost last month and I think I'm trying to file a claim under the "Baggage Insurance Plan" that comes with Platinum. Last week in a hurry, I saw there were only 3 claim options shown for me, so filed it under "Purchase Protection" as it seemed most relevant and I assumed they were the same thing (def wasn't Extended Warranty or Return Protection). Now, I noticed under my Corporate Card there's an actual option for to file a claim for "Baggage Insurance Plan". My Platinum doesn't show this option? Any idea why? I already submitted the claim & receipts - will the claim team just transfer it for me? Should I call and cancel this claim since the items are clearly over 120 days old?

I tried but I can't attach a picture until I'm at 5 posts sadly

Thank you!
Old Apr 22, 19, 7:13 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk. A copy of the Baggage Insurance Plan is here:

https://www.americanexpress.com/cont...ev%2003-18.pdf

If the Covered Person experiences a Loss for which You or the claimant believe a benefit is payable under this Plan, You or the claimant must provide both Notice of Claim and Proof of Loss.

To insure prompt processing of the claim, report any damaged, stolen, or lost Baggage immediately following the date of the Loss. Retain any receipts and damaged property (if applicable) until the claim process is complete.

Notice of Claim
Notice of Claim should be provided to Us within thirty (30) days of the Loss. You or the claimant may contact the Company by calling toll-free stateside 1-800-645-9700 or, if from overseas, by calling collect 1-303-273-6498. You or the claimant may also write to Us at AMEX Assurance Company, PO Box 981553, El Paso, TX 79998-9920
Global Adventurer likes this.
Old Apr 23, 19, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia View Post
Welcome to Flyertalk. A copy of the Baggage Insurance Plan is here:

--url removed--
Looks like I have to call - thanks for the info. Kinda weird that it lets me do it without calling for my Corporate Card but not others (Plat/Gold)

Regardless, thank you - I'll call later today
Old Apr 23, 19, 9:36 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

On this page I see a [File a Claim] button:

https://global.americanexpress.com/c...nce-plan-basic

....and the link leads to this page:

https://onlineclaims.americanexpress.com/claims/home.do

...but it displays an error message. I can force that page to load using an Incognito browser window, but the Baggage Plan is not listed. I expect this is just a technical problem, and it seems simpler to call that fiddle around with the site.
Old Apr 23, 19, 10:18 am
Original Poster

On this page I see a [File a Claim] button:

....and the link leads to this page:

...but it displays an error message. I can force that page to load using an Incognito browser window, but the Baggage Plan is not listed. I expect this is just a technical problem, and it seems simpler to call that fiddle around with the site.
Called and he cancelled the current claim & set up a proper one for me. Have to resend documents but worth it to not be denied

Thanks again
Old Apr 26, 19, 9:02 am
Original Poster

So Amex emailed me today with the results of my claim and I'm slightly confused. I called and a representative said he could not see any further detail into why I only got $2,000 of the $2,800 I requested

Here's a screenshot of the email... almost seems like a typo/mistake? They acknowledge the $3,000 in the denial & mention a $3,000 payment but then only credited $2,000?

Thanks for any help

edit: the $2,000 was already credited to my account - very quick turnaround which is awesome

also a note: this was a lost carry-on garment bag (not checked)

Last edited by mikeross; Apr 26, 19 at 9:09 am
Old Apr 26, 19, 10:27 am
mia

The notice contains a contradiction. It says that a claim payment of $3,000 was made, yet shows the payment as $2,000. I speculate that most claims are for checked bags, where the cap is $2,000, and the processing agent simply wasn't paying attention.
Old Apr 26, 19, 10:31 am
Original Poster

The notice contains a contradiction. It says that a claim payment of $3,000 was made, yet shows the payment as $2,000. I speculate that most claims are for checked bags, where the cap is $2,000, and the processing agent simply wasn't paying attention.
My thought as well! Maybe I'll call back later and see if another rep has a different conclusion or maybe the first didn't properly understand me

Search this Thread