Amex Aspire Instant Number Usage

Old Apr 17, 2019, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Amex Aspire Instant Number Usage

Hi all,
I was told that this was the forum to look for an answer to my question but I didn't find any thread that talked about this so I created this one, please move if I missed the original thread. Anyway, I am about to pull the trigger and get the Amex Hilton Aspire CC. I heard that Amex will give you an "instant" number to use, however, I read that the co-branded cards only allow you to use the instant number at the co-branded vendors. Does anyone have any data points one way or another?

Also, I want to make sure I get instantly approved so I get the instant number, I have good credit, but do have a few CCs open that have unused credit lines, should I reduce the lines to make sure that I get instant approval? I currently have two Amex cards, one of them I rarely use so I could easily drop that credit limit if necessary.
Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 17, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: Continental OnePass
I can't speak for the Aspire card, but I just got the Amex Bonvoy card and I could use the instant number anywhere online until my actual card arrived.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by swiftaw
I can't speak for the Aspire card, but I just got the Amex Bonvoy card and I could use the instant number anywhere online until my actual card arrived.
Thanks for the information, that is reassuring.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I have yet to get an instant number from AmEx despite getting instantly approved, so getting one may be a YMMV thing.

That said, I heard that you may be able to add said card (either using the instant number or through the AmEx app) to your phone or watch and use it in person that way. Granted, not everywhere supports NFC, but you may still be able to get a significant head start on minimum spend anyway.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tmiw
I have yet to get an instant number from AmEx despite getting instantly approved, so getting one may be a YMMV thing.

That said, I heard that you may be able to add said card (either using the instant number or through the AmEx app) to your phone or watch and use it in person that way. Granted, not everywhere supports NFC, but you may still be able to get a significant head start on minimum spend anyway.
Thanks for the information. I only need it to pay online bills, so getting the online number and CVC and expiration is all I would need to get a jump start. Can you tell me what happened during your application process? Were you not instantly approved, is that why a instant number was not generated for you?
Old Apr 17, 2019, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by HIFlya
Thanks for the information. I only need it to pay online bills, so getting the online number and CVC and expiration is all I would need to get a jump start. Can you tell me what happened during your application process? Were you not instantly approved, is that why a instant number was not generated for you?
I was instantly approved, just no card number. None of the cards were the Aspire though.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

I was instantly approved, just no card number. None of the cards were the Aspire though.
Oh OK, thanks!
Old Apr 17, 2019, 7:15 pm

I was approved for the Aspire yesterday and I have been able to use my instant card number for all sorts of purchases, not only Hilton.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Free Range Airline Chicken
I applied for the Aspire card, was instantly approved, got a temporary number, and successfully used the temp number to pay a variety of bills and charges online, including insurance, a big medical bill, and airfare. I completed the spend for the signup bonus within two hours of being approved! I took a screenshot of the temporary information to make sure I would have everything. It worked well for me. Diamond status came through within a couple of hours also.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mike B
I applied for the Aspire card, was instantly approved, got a temporary number, and successfully used the temp number to pay a variety of bills and charges online, including insurance, a big medical bill, and airfare. I completed the spend for the signup bonus within two hours of being approved! I took a screenshot of the temporary information to make sure I would have everything. It worked well for me. Diamond status came through within a couple of hours also.
I just wanted to add my DP. I got shafted for the instant number. Just applied online 30 minutes ago, got the "congratulations" message and then no number, only the option to set up my online account. Chatted online and also called but was told there was nothing anyone could do, and they could not even expedite my card shipment now. I was told I had to get that BEFORE I was approved. That is what pisses me off even more. Seriously. I can understand not letting CSRs have that information to verbally provide to you, but how can you expect people to call and request an expedited shipping of the card BEFORE they are approved.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow, that's annoying for sure.
I recently got a Hilton card (Ascend I think? Not the $400+ one) and got the instant number. I could use it anywhere, and I was able to connect it to ApplePay. Oddly, I could NOT add it to my online account until I got the card with the permanent account number in the mail.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 7:09 pm

This is true if you get an instant number. And it’s not limited to a specific brand. Got a business card last fall, got the instant number, and used it for an online purchase as well as with Apple Pay at a retail shop.

I had an instant approval for the Ascend, but no instant number. Not sure why, guess it was just luck of the draw.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 12:53 am
Original Poster

I was told by the main Amex Customer Service line that if I call the new card line after 24 hours of approval I can then request expedited shipping. I have no idea if this is true now or not but I am going to be pretty pissed if not. Like how hard is it to go into the system and hit a few buttons to expedite printing and mailing something?! Geezus.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Does anyone have DPs and procedures on how to get an expedited physical card from Amex?
Old Apr 21, 2019, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by HIFlya
Does anyone have DPs and procedures on how to get an expedited physical card from Amex?
I applied on a Thursday and received the card on a Saturday night via UPS. I did not request expedited service. The authorized user card came a few days later via snail mail.

When I apply, there was no hard inquiry. I am assuming because of my current card member status.

My CL was partially taken from my current Amex Blue and an added $15k to form my Aspire CL.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.