FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Forced to purchase return ticket, want to file dispute (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1965649-forced-purchase-return-ticket-want-file-dispute.html)

Matt Slate Apr 16, 2019 6:26 am

Forced to purchase return ticket, want to file dispute

i booked a one way flight and the airline told me that they won't let me board the flight unless i make a return ticket booking, and i told them that i dont want to book a ticket yet because im not coming back to this airport.

so then they told me that if i do not have a return flight booking in the system they will not let me board the flight. So i booked a return flight for 2 weeks from now but i dont plan on using it and i want to get a full refund

however after i boarded my flight and landed i called the airlines to refund me my return ticket and they said that i can not get a full refund as it is a non refundable ticket and theres nothing they can do about it.

so my question is how could i file this as a dispute with american express and do you think i would be eligible to get a full refund?

Often1 Apr 16, 2019 6:56 am

OP - I am reading between the lines, but it sounds as though you purchased a ticket from one country to another and that second country requires a return or onward ticket in order to admit you. Most countries require the air carriers to enforce these rules and thus you were denied boarding without the return ticket. You apparently purchased an inflexible ticket and thus it could not be refunded when you called to cancel (or you waited too long). If this is the case, a dispute with Amex will not do anything for you.

In order to give you exact advice, please provide the exact details of your travel, including your ticket routing, the carrier, your citizenship and nationality. With that, it will be possible to give you something precise.

Matt Slate Apr 16, 2019 7:52 am

I am an American citizen and I plan to travel on Thai Airlines from Bangkok Thailand to Vientiane, Laos, and then leave the country through the land border so I booked a single one way ticket, but when I went to check into my flight they told me that I need to have a return ticket back to Bangkok and I told them that I am not coming back to Bangkok through the airport I am using the Land Border and catching a domestic flight on another airlines. But they insisted that I would not be able to board the flight until the system shows that I have a return ticket from Laos to Bangkok so I had to book a ticket on thai airlines just for them to let me board the flight to Laos, the ticket I made was for 2 weeks in advanced just for them to allow me to board the flight. And when i called them to cancel they said that I can not cancel the ticket. So would Amex be able to cancel it and issue me a full refund in this situation?

Kacee Apr 16, 2019 8:03 am

I don't understand why you think you're entitled to a refund. if you wanted to purchase a refundable ticket, you should have specified that.

Also, it is the passenger's burden to be aware of travel requirements. It is fundamental that airlines can require proof of return travel, or deny boarding. They can be hit with serious fines if they transport a passenger who does not have a return ticket.

zebranz Apr 16, 2019 8:07 am

Timatic states as USA passport/citizen you can get VOA in Laos but need outbound documentation-

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...aspx?i=TIMATIC

I agree with Often1 in you would not be able to successfully dispute the charge.
The easiest way is to book an award flight in the future (within allowable limits) and then cancel the ticket after arrival in Laos.

Matt Slate Apr 16, 2019 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31006161)
I don't understand why you think you're entitled to a refund. if you wanted to purchase a refundable ticket, you should have specified that.

Also, it is the passenger's burden to be aware of travel requirements. It is fundamental that airlines can require proof of return travel, or deny boarding. They can be hit with serious fines if they transport a passenger who does not have a return ticket.

I don't need a return ticket because I am exiting the country via Land Border. Not flying to an airport. They forced me to book a ticket back to the same Airport when that's not where I was going. So I believe I should be refunded for the ticket that I never intend to use since I used a Land Border to leave the country.

arttravel Apr 16, 2019 8:19 am

AMEX may not be of much assistance as you purchased a non refundable ticket.

Is there a reason that a fully refundable ticket was not purchased?

Matt Slate Apr 16, 2019 8:22 am

Originally Posted by arttravel (Post 31006232)
AMEX may not be of much assistance as you purchased a non refundable ticket.

Is there a reason that a fully refundable ticket was not purchased?

Thai Airways don't offer a choice to choose refundable tickets as all their tickets are non refundable

zebranz Apr 16, 2019 8:26 am

Since you already bought the return ticket, your question is only disputing the charge- answer no.

You will not win disputing the charge with AMEX.

Matt Slate Apr 16, 2019 8:39 am

Originally Posted by zebranz (Post 31006273)
Since you already bought the return ticket, your question is only disputing the charge- answer no.

You will not win disputing the charge with AMEX.

What makes you think I will not win? Let me open up a claim and find out for myself

mia Apr 16, 2019 8:40 am

The airline's Contract of Carriage has a provision which seems to specifically apply to your circumstance:

10.5.2 We may refuse a refund on a Ticket which has been presented to us, or to Government officials, as evidence of intention to depart from that country, unless you establish to our satisfaction that you have permission to remain in the country or that you will depart from that country by another carrier or another means of transport.

zebranz Apr 16, 2019 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Matt Slate (Post 31006319)

What makes you think I will not win? Let me open up a claim and find out for myself

If you came to FT to create an argument, no problem. No one stated you cannot file a claim or charge back with the credit card company. No one (yet) expects you have a case to stand on. Welcome to FT.

IMO you clearly purchased a 2nd ticket. You authorized the charge. You are required to have an onward proof leaving the country. Your claim (if any) is with the carrier- that I cannot see you winning either.

ijgordon Apr 16, 2019 8:52 am

Originally Posted by Matt Slate (Post 31006319)

Then why are you here? :confused:

Often1 Apr 16, 2019 9:36 am

As a USN traveling from Thailand to Laos, you were required to present all documents required for your next destination. That could be a return or onwards journey. But, no documents means that you did not qualify for visa on arrival and were required to have obtained the visa in advance.

All of this information is available for free on IATA's database for travel documentation, TIMATIC.

So, you had two options: 1. Obtain a visa in advance or 2. have proof of your travel. You did neither. Bear in mind that you will not generate much sympathy either from the air carrier or Amex that you booked an air ticket with the intent of cancelling it and only to satisfy a legal requirement. Why others do this sort of thing, it does not give you any high ground, legal, moral or otherwise.

That will not be the issue with Amex. The Amex sole issue is whether you purchased a ticket and agreed to pay for it. If it was not refundable, that is the end of the debate. If you want to dispute the charge, by all means go ahead. But, why did you come to FT to ask for advice if you simply want to reject it?

Nationals of USA can obtain a visa on arrival at Luang Prabang (LPQ), Pakse (PKZ) and Vientiane (VTE) for a maximum stay of 30 days. Passengers must:
- have a confirmed hotel reservation in Lao People's Dem. Rep.; and
- have all documents required for their next destination; and
- have a passport photo; and
- have a passport that contains at least 2 unused visa pages.

Passengers of Lao origin between 15 and 65 years of age can obtain a visa on arrival for a maximum stay of 60 days. They can apply to extend their stay.

Passengers of Lao origin above 65 years of age can obtain a visa on arrival for a maximum stay of 90 days. They can apply to extend their stay.

arttravel Apr 16, 2019 9:42 am

Originally Posted by Matt Slate (Post 31006251)

Thai Airways don't offer a choice to choose refundable tickets as all their tickets are non refundable

In the future one should look for a refundable ticket on any airline that leaves the country that requires proof of onward travel.

As airlines can be fined for transporting someone with inadequate documents they tend to be strict.