Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Forced to purchase return ticket, want to file dispute

Forced to purchase return ticket, want to file dispute

Old Apr 16, 2019, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by acenase

Have you heard of Buyer Protection before? You should read up on it. Also did you know AMEX fully refunds you if you bought something and someone stole it? Or if a store tries to say "No refunds", AMEX will still be willing to refund you. Ah yes.. I'd say OP should be able to dispute anything that he did not receive. Think about why Merchants hate accepting AMEX, because they always favor the buyer.
But he DID receive the product. A non-refundable air ticket for a certain flight. To use YOUR logic then ANYONE could purchase ANY non-refundable ticket, and demand a full refund if they CHOSE not to fly it! That of course would completely sidestep the problem of refundable tickets being more expensive..... I wonder why no one has ever thought of that before. Maybe because it DOESN'T WORK. Good luck with that anyway...
Old Apr 16, 2019, 11:46 pm

"Non refundable" or not. AMEX doesn't care about gimmicks. They don't care if what you bought has a "No Refund" policy. Or a "Restocking fee". The fact is, if you're not completely satisfied with whatever is charged on your card, they encourage you to open a dispute so they can take matters into their own hands and fully credit you the charge. You should learn more about the perks of being an AMEX cardholder.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 11:50 pm

Have you heard of Buyer Protection before? You should read up on it. Also did you know AMEX fully refunds you if you bought something and someone stole it? Or if a store tries to say "No refunds", AMEX will still be willing to refund you. Ah yes.. I'd say OP should be able to dispute anything that he did not receive. Think about why Merchants hate accepting AMEX, because they always favor the buyer.
Yup. Many of us have AMEX cards. Look at the stories. They aren't as consumer friendly as you think.
Gasolin, akr1970akr and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 11:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Have you heard of Buyer Protection before? You should read up on it.
I have, and I have.

Also did you know AMEX fully refunds you if you bought something and someone stole it? Or if a store tries to say "No refunds", AMEX will still be willing to refund you.
Reading up on it, there are these terms (among others):

Items not eligible for a refund are: ... tickets of any kind (including, but not limited to, transportation passes or tickets and event tickets) ;
Purchases must be made in the 50 United States of America ...
So, the OP's situation is excluded from Return Protection on at least two counts. It should be obvious without even having to look it up that non-refundable airline tickets are not covered by Amex Return Protection - otherwise, we'd be hearing all about it around here.

Ah yes.. I'd say OP should be able to dispute anything that he did not receive.
Nope. He received exactly what he purchased - a non-refundable airline ticket. The fact that he ended up not needing or using it isn't relevant. Nor is the fact that he knew this at the time of purchase.

Think about why Merchants hate accepting AMEX, because they always favor the buyer.
Neither Purchase Protection or Return Protection result in chargebacks to the merchant. You seem to imply that Return Protection would force the merchant to refund the purchase even when they otherwise wouldn't, just because an Amex card was used to make the purchase. That's not how it works. Those protections are insurance products that are funded by premiums paid by Amex that come out of the revenue you generate for them - the merchant pays for neither the claims nor the premiums. It sounds like you have some kind of issue with Amex that is bleeding over into this thread, even though it's probably not related.

Since when is it not possible to book a flight if such situation like [being denied entry to a country because of not meeting entry requirements, such as having an onward/return flight] that happens? If I was denied entry, held in custody, don't you think you're allowed to book the next flight out
There are several problems with this. For one, if the passenger doesn't have the means to buy such a ticket, the inbound transporting carrier must transport them back at their own expense and is unlikely to be able to collect the cost after the fact. Second, if a passenger is denied entry for a documentation issue that they should have caught before boarding the passenger on the inbound flight, they are subject to a fine by the country denying entry. And, even if they don't get fined on each instance, having "too many" such situations creates problems. Third, for the passenger, having a denied entry to a particular country on their record may cause problems for future entries, even if they meet the requirements those times. For example, for people visiting the US on the Visa Waiver Program, if they ever get denied entry, that results in a lifetime ban of using that program, and forever thereafter they must apply for a visa to visit the US even though their nationality ordinarily doesn't have to.

So in cases such as this, carriers act the way they do because a) they're required by law to do so, and b) it's in their best interest to do so. It's also in the passenger's best interest, even if they don't realize it, although it's doubtful that this is why the carriers enforce the rules.
trooper, Gasolin and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 11:59 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
It sounds like there a bunch of experienced travelers on this thread, so I will pose a related question:

Say a traveler has a one-way ticket on Airline 1 to Country A. When checking in for this flight, the agent asks for proof of onward travel. The passenger presents a printout showing either an airline ticket on Airline 2 departing Country A , or a cruise departing from Country A.

Does anyone believe there is concern with this scenario?
Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Matt Slate
I don't need a return ticket because I am exiting the country via Land Border.
I believe you misunderstand this portion, despite the fact that the GA mis-communicate.

To satisfy immigration requirement, usually airlines will require passengers with one-way tickets to show some means leaving the country or proof of legal residence. For example, in the case of entering the U.S. for Canada, a foreigner can use Canadian Passport, Maple Leaf Card, a Canadian TRV with proper permit, or even a one-way ticket leaving from Canada, in addition to proper documentation for the U.S., to show that the passenger is meant to leave the U.S.

In your case, even you leave Thailand by land, you still have to show how you can legally stay in the nearby countries or leave from there. I am not saying that you have none. But to the GA, you have nothing to show.

This is why you are forced to buy a return ticket.

Thai Airways don't offer a choice to choose refundable tickets as all their tickets are non refundable
Definitely not true. I tried a dummy booking and I was able to book a fully refundable one-way ticket with $100 fee.

What makes you think I will not win? Let me open up a claim and find out for myself
You can open the claim.

The reason why you will fail is not because your nonrefundable ticket has residual values.

Originally Posted by 747FC
It sounds like there a bunch of experienced travelers on this thread, so I will pose a related question:

Say a traveler has a one-way ticket on Airline 1 to Country A. When checking in for this flight, the agent asks for proof of onward travel. The passenger presents a printout showing either an airline ticket on Airline 2 departing Country A , or a cruise departing from Country A.

No. In fact - this is exactly what is needed.
Gasolin and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:01 am

Nope. No reason you have to have a ticket booked on Airline 1.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by garykung
I tried a dummy booking and I was able to book a fully refundable one-way ticket with $100 fee.d.
That defeats the purpose of having a refundable ticket if you have to pay $100 out of your pocket. Look at the total cost of the ticket from VTE-BKK, the cheapest one is $67. That goes up to a more expensive $200. So why should someone pay $200 for a refundable ticket, only to pay $100 in fees and still have to pay more than a non-refundable $67 ticket?

That's like if I said. Buy my ticket for $50. No refunds. But if you pay me $100. Then you can get a refund after you pay me a fee of $50.... in the end you're still paying $50 anyways. So whats the point of buying a refundable ticket if you are still paying the same (or more) than the lowest price?
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by acenase; Apr 17, 2019 at 12:16 am
Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That defeats the purpose of having a refundable ticket if you have to pay $100 out of your pocket. Look at the total cost of the ticket from VTE-BKK, the cheapest one is $67. That goes up to $200. So why should someone pay $200 for a refundable ticket only to pay $100 and be refunded less than what they would pay for just a non-refundable $67 ticket and be out of pocket $67 instead of $100 refund fee?
You don't need to pay $100. You can chargeback full $200 vis Amex for service not received.
trooper and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Say a traveler has a one-way ticket on Airline 1 to Country A. When checking in for this flight, the agent asks for proof of onward travel. The passenger presents a printout showing either an airline ticket on Airline 2 departing Country A
An airline ticket from another carrier should be no problem. I've done this before. It's doubtful they'll even check to see if your confirmation is real. In years past, they'd want to see the actual paper ticket and not just an itinerary, but in today's world of electronic tickets, it's too much work to verify each one each time. The some holds true for the immigration authorities upon arrival. However, if the immigration authorities decided to verify your return flight and you got caught presenting a fake document, that would probably be Very Bad.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by Steve M
An airline ticket from another carrier should be no problem. I've done this before. It's doubtful they'll even check to see if your confirmation is real. In years past, they'd want to see the actual paper ticket and not just an itinerary, but in today's world of electronic tickets, it's too much work to verify each one each time. The some holds true for the immigration authorities upon arrival. However, if the immigration authorities decided to verify your return flight and you got caught presenting a fake document, that would probably be Very Bad.
It needs to be on the same carrier you fly into the country on because of the fact that they can confirm it is real. If you book a one way flight.... they need to see a return flight IN THEIR SYSTEM or else they won't let you board the flight. So you can not have a flight out of the country on Airline 2 because its not confirmed. Airline 1 still can deny your boarding if they only have a 1 way ticket in their system even tho you show a flight out on Airline 2
Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:33 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by garykung
I
No. In fact - this is exactly what is needed.
That was the answer I expected. Thanks.

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Nope. No reason you have to have a ticket booked on Airline 1.
I assumed this. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Steve M
Thank you for the confirmation.

It needs to be on the same carrier you fly into the country on because of the fact that they can confirm it is real. If you book a one way flight.... they need to see a return flight IN THEIR SYSTEM or else they won't let you board the flight. So you can not have a flight out of the country on Airline 2 because its not confirmed. Airline 1 still can deny your boarding if they only have a 1 way ticket in their system even tho you show a flight out on Airline 2
I hope you are wrong on this. In the past few years, I've flown into DXB, VCE, NRT on one-way flight itineraries and departed these cities on one-way cruises. None of the airlines or immigration authorities seemed to care. Hoping that this is the case when I fly into SIN next year, transiting briefly in BKK on a set of TG flights from NRT.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 2:01 am

Programs: IML GOLD, Bonvoy LTPE, WOH Globalist, AAEXPLT
I travel within that region extensively and can tell you that the agents basically selectively enforce the onward/return ticket rule. There definitely are customs/immigration regulation for many countries that have these dumb rules but check in and customs agents basically use selective profiling to see if they want to enforce it or not. Even if you had proof of a onward bus or train ticket sometimes they won't let you board. Best word of advice is to use a refundable ticket to cancel later, or if you are brave, print out a fake itinerary. As far as the charge back goes.. Sure.. Try it.. But keep in mind you might make it onto the airlines back list.

The airlines are mainly worried to make sure they don't get fined if a passenger on the flight gets denied entry. The customs and immigration agents just need to make sure you don't become an illegal immigrant. Enforcement is very selective.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 2:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
As a data point, we knew on our cycling trip that we would be leaving Thailand via a road border into Laos. So just bought the cheapest ticket possible using a LCC ( I think it was Air Asia) leaving within 30 days of arrival to anywhere- I think cost in the region of Ł24. Totally accepted by airline (JAL). Job done.
747FC and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 4:29 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

A few posts have been removed because they included personal characterizations. Thread remains closed for work .

Reminder: You may not use multiple usernames and doing so will subject you to suspension of all usernames you have registered.

https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#usernames

Last edited by mia; Apr 17, 2019 at 7:05 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.