SPG Amex Cancellation- Clawback free night?

Old Apr 15, 19, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

SPG Amex Cancellation- Clawback free night?

Is there a clawback on the 1 free night if you cancel the spg card after the anniversary date and it has appeared on the marriot website already?
Old Apr 15, 19, 7:50 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Not likely, if you've held the card for over one year. AMEX clawbacks tend to occur when you close the card prior to the annual fee posting (i.e., prior to the one year anniversary date.)
Old Apr 15, 19, 11:29 pm

Programs: WN F9 UA AA IHG HH MR
No clawback. The free night posts a couple of months after AmEx collects the annual fee, so you would just be forfeiting the fee.

There is a very small window to cancel the card at 29 days after the fee posts and the free night may still go through.
Old Apr 17, 19, 9:45 am

I cancelled my card and SO's card a few days apart after one year mark. My cert was clawed back. SO's cert was not. I wasn't thinking about the certs at the time of cancellation. I only noticed the clawback in my Marriott account's activity a few months later. It was a nice surprise to see a free cert in SO's account though.
Old May 24, 19, 9:33 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Tanic View Post
No clawback. The free night posts a couple of months after AmEx collects the annual fee, so you would just be forfeiting the fee.

There is a very small window to cancel the card at 29 days after the fee posts and the free night may still go through.
Is this why the certificate take 8 to 12 weeks to be deposited?
They want to make sure you don't get the cert then cancel and refund the fee within 29days.

If so I get it but I really want to use my cert like now and I dont want to wait for it
If I call them can they speed up the deposit?
Old May 24, 19, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by rebadc View Post
Is this why the certificate take 8 to 12 weeks to be deposited?
They want to make sure you don't get the cert then cancel and refund the fee within 29days.

If so I get it but I really want to use my cert like now and I dont want to wait for it
If I call them can they speed up the deposit?
It's part of the terms of the free night award so I doubt that there's any way to speed things up. I also believe that the posting delay happens on the Marriott side of things and for the sake of your sanity I would discourage you from embarking on this crusade with Marriott's CS. When things work as they should, Marriott is OK, but when they don't and you have to deal with CS you are in for weeks worth of process and numerous phone calls. By then, the 8-12 weeks would've passed. Now, if you like spending time on the phone and explaining things over and over, having calls get cut off and explain again (repeat this multiple times a week) then by all means try it

Search this Thread