Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Membership Rewards Terms & Conditions Do Not Allow Transfers for Platinum CREDIT Card

Membership Rewards Terms & Conditions Do Not Allow Transfers for Platinum CREDIT Card

Old Apr 13, 19, 8:11 am
Original Poster

I had a transfer from Membership Rewards to AsiaMiles automatically cancelled on 4/12/2019 . I am sure I will be able to straighten it out eventually but the Membership Rewards desk is open only on weekdays. I hold a Platinum Card as well as other cards. When I read the Membership Rewards terms and conditions I was surprised to learn that transfers to partner programs are allowed only for certain cards and *not* for Platinum cards:

[below copied from https://rewards.americanexpress.com/...&mrk=&stoken=# ]

Who can transfer points Some Card Members have the option to transfer points into a participating frequent customer program account. The Cards listed below are not eligible to transfer points. All other American Express Cards are eligible.

Please note that this information only applies to Cards that aren't linked with others on the same program accounts. If you have a Card enrolled in Membership Rewards when you enroll another Card, the Cards may be linked to the same program account unless one or both of those Cards is enrolled in Membership Rewards through a separate program account created for you as an Additional Business Card Member. If the Cards are linked to the same program account, both Cards will be eligible for the benefits available to the Card with the greater benefits. For example, if you link a Blue Card to a program account with your Platinum Card, you will be eligible to transfer points that you've earned by spending with your Blue Card.

The following Cards are not eligible to transfer points:
  • American Express® Platinum Credit Card
  • Blue for Business® Credit Card
  • Blue for Students®
  • Some Blue from American Express Cards
  • Business Management Account
  • Gold Optima® Card
  • Optima® Credit Card
  • Optima® Platinum Card®
  • Platinum Business Credit Card®
  • ZYNC® Card
If you are eligible to transfer points, you'll see this option listed in the Travel category on membershiprewards.com. The frequent customer program account that you transfer points into must be held by you or an Additional Card Member linked to your program account
Old Apr 13, 19, 8:59 am
formerly BackSlash3

Programs: AE Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat AMB
The Platinum Credit Card isn’t the same as the Platinum Charge Card

I think you may be caught up on it listing the platinum credit card which is a different discontinued product than the Platinum Charge Card currently available.

When Costco was still on Amex they had a. No-fee Costco Platinum Credit Card with very few features and made people think they were entitled to lounge access by confusing the platinum no feature credit card with the Platinum feature heavy charge card.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Apr 13, 19, 11:56 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Moderator action

Thread title edited.

The terms mention several credit cards with the word "platinum" in the product name. These cards do not participate in the full version of Membership Rewards. None of these are The Platinum Card which is a charge card, and which does include the transfer feature.
javabytes likes this.
Old Apr 13, 19, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
FWIW - Platinum Credit Card is still an AMEX product in some other countries.

They are basically a credit card with basic benefit. The card usually has no AF.
Old Apr 13, 19, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Platinum Credit Card vs. Platinum Charge Card

Thanks for pointing out the subtle difference between Platinum Credit Card and Platinum Charge Card - I mistakenly believed that my transfer was rejected because I used a Platinum card to confirm the transfer. Evidently it was a different glitch and I've corrected it.
Diplomatico likes this.

Search this Thread