Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Confusing Nature of MR Points and Benefits of Gold Card

Confusing Nature of MR Points and Benefits of Gold Card

Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by jags86

Correct, there are definitely downsides to the AMEX Gold card, just as there are downsides to most cards with an annual fee. I also do not think that a direct comparison with AMEX Gold and Chase CSR is necessarily fair as they are not direct competitors and if you have enough spend of certain types can be complimentary rather than competing.

My biggest issue with the CSR is that I think most people (perhaps not on this website, just most people who have the card) are redeeming via the Chase portal for “1.5cpp” redemption value. For people doing that, I think the US Bank Altitude Reserve is a far superior card as you can actually hunt for the best deal and then redeem after the fact at 1.5cpp. Not only do you get a true 1.5cpp redemption but you earn 3x points on the purchase, you can buy through Hotels.com if you value their 10% back system over say a particular hotels loyalty program, and you can get bonus rewards from shopping through a cash back portal.
Agreed that it isn't a true competitor to Chase's offerings. It sits in between the $450 luxury card and $95 generic travel card. My primary gripe with it is that while the $100 airline credit is actually useful outside of redeeming for an airline gift card, the food credits and dining category bonus annoy me. They seem intentionally implemented in a way and scope that's more limited than any other dining reward card on the market. Same for the Platinum, with it's annual fee hike in return for crappy Uber and Saks 5th credits. It just comes off as Amex trying to find an excuse to increase the upfront cost of cards that already are some of the more expensive ones in the US market.

Also agreed that the UR portal is pretty poor in most respects. I've had successes with it with both hotels and cruises getting the list price I could otherwise book at, and I've also paid above the cash price in order to use UR points for aspirational stays I wouldn't otherwise be able to use points for, though still at a better value than straight UR to cashback. I've never actually used the Amex portal, as I prefer to send my Amex points to airline programs for redemptions, so I don't know how their portal stacks up. The lower individual point value and more limited bonus categories of their cards has always turned me off from redeeming on it.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:42 pm

I would agree that I have always find UR redemption to be more convenient due to United award chart and ease of booking United award flights. But now with today's news UR and UA mileage value took significant hit IMO. This just makes MR more useful now even if it would require me to do bit more legwork to redeem them.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
I feel like all of the Amex fanboys are pissed off at me but I'm glad someone shares my view.

Amex has a lot of potential value, but if I'm paying a few hundred dollars a year on an annual fee I don't want to have to deal with restrictions and fine print. I'd happily pay more money to not deal with that.
You thinking pissed off /=/ disagreeing with you. I'm not pissed off at you, if you don't find value in the Gold Card that's fine. No card is the ideal for everyone.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by keyjey
I would agree that I have always find UR redemption to be more convenient due to United award chart and ease of booking United award flights. But now with today's news UR and UA mileage value took significant hit IMO. This just makes MR more useful now even if it would require me to do bit more legwork to redeem them.
It literally takes out UA as one of the only two worthy transfer partner with today's major devaluation move.
For the time being the redemption on partner flights has not been affected, but the partner charts have been removed from UA site - so the days of it stays intact is numbered.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:59 pm

I've never actually used UA as a partner. All my transfer with Chase have been to either Hyatt or Southwest. Chase does still have Virgin Atlantic and AirFrance/KLM as good value partners as well, even if United is turning into Delta. And I've never found MR to be difficult to redeem, just difficult to effectively accrue outside of sign-up bonuses and MS.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 8:22 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by EverGreen7230
And I've never found MR to be difficult to redeem, just difficult to effectively accrue outside of sign-up bonuses and MS.
That’s interesting... If you forget MS, I find MR are far easier to earn than UR. With 2 cards and one annual fee you get 2x everywhere, 3x airlines, and 4x dining and groceries. With the addition of the eBates portal earning MR and booking sites being part of eBates gives you another way to earn outsized value from AMEX. And finally you also have MR earning AMEX offers.

Old Apr 5, 2019, 11:39 pm

Programs: Starwood, Marriott Rewards

That’s interesting... If you forget MS, I find MR are far easier to earn than UR. With 2 cards and one annual fee you get 2x everywhere, 3x airlines, and 4x dining and groceries. With the addition of the eBates portal earning MR and booking sites being part of eBates gives you another way to earn outsized value from AMEX. And finally you also have MR earning AMEX offers.

How do you get 2x everywhere?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by surfmonkey89
How do you get 2x everywhere?
AMEX Business Plus, no annual fee, flat 2x earning on everything. Occasionally has some good AMEX Offers.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Virgin Atlantic is a strong transfer partner for both UR and MR that rarely gets talked about. I've probably used them the most as you can find some random Delta on there for way cheaper than Delta (I recently booked a domestic F award for 17.5k VS points compared to 50k on Delta's site or $550 cash). I've even paid the fuel surcharges to fly into London, it was still a good deal compared to cash or the other options.

United's award availability has been going to crap lately aside from longhaul economy, everything else has been really hard to find.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
Virgin Atlantic is a strong transfer partner for both UR and MR that rarely gets talked about. I've probably used them the most as you can find some random Delta on there for way cheaper than Delta (I recently booked a domestic F award for 17.5k VS points compared to 50k on Delta's site or $550 cash). I've even paid the fuel surcharges to fly into London, it was still a good deal compared to cash or the other options.

United's award availability has been going to crap lately aside from longhaul economy, everything else has been really hard to find.
if Virgin is your preferred program then both MR and thankyou are better options due to 25% transfer bonus they offer each year.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
You thinking pissed off /=/ disagreeing with you. I'm not pissed off at you, if you don't find value in the Gold Card that's fine. No card is the ideal for everyone.
It seems the most content people are those who know how to utilize the different miles/points programs. Occasionally a poster starts complaining about an Amex card and why isn't it like a Chase card, another poster with a Hard On for Amex comes to mind.

I like em all and am happy to accumulate and use MRs , URs, and TYPs.
Adelphos and Johnny O like this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 10:33 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by Javier1704
I've also noticed this.. Everytime I find a flight for ~$350 I say to myself "let's use all these URs and redeem them for 1.5 cpp!". Go to the Chase portal, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand: same flights don't appear and only see options of $700+.
Altitude Reserve is much better. You can book directly with an airline, earning 3x (4.5%) and redeem points at the same time via Realtime Mobile rewards, and if you still have $325 yearly travel reimbursement, you also get that.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 10:57 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott

Correct, there are definitely downsides to the AMEX Gold card, just as there are downsides to most cards with an annual fee. I also do not think that a direct comparison with AMEX Gold and Chase CSR is necessarily fair as they are not direct competitors and if you have enough spend of certain types can be complimentary rather than competing.

My biggest issue with the CSR is that I think most people (perhaps not on this website, just most people who have the card) are redeeming via the Chase portal for “1.5cpp” redemption value. For people doing that, I think the US Bank Altitude Reserve is a far superior card as you can actually hunt for the best deal and then redeem after the fact at 1.5cpp. Not only do you get a true 1.5cpp redemption but you earn 3x points on the purchase, you can buy through Hotels.com if you value their 10% back system over say a particular hotels loyalty program, and you can get bonus rewards from shopping through a cash back portal.
I think OTAs are not included in 3x travel category of AR. I didn't try it myself, but my coworker tried and he didn't receive 3x on hotwire purchase.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:27 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by yugi
I think OTAs are not included in 3x travel category of AR. I didn't try it myself, but my coworker tried and he didn't receive 3x on hotwire purchase.
Correct but Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, and Priceline all accept Apple Pay so you get 3x that way. Definitely a change in how you go to bat, but it has been a real game changer IMO.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 3:12 pm

It's the inconsistency of Amex's 4x category for dining that kills it for me, and unfortunately I do not have a Blue for Business Plus due to already being at the CC limit. I plan to get one to use as a daily driver once my second Hilton card's annual fee comes up though, but I have about 8 months until then. A vast majority of my spend is either travel expenses (hotels) or dining, with airline spend usually being taxes and fees for cheap Southwest flights, so the 3x with no airline travel protection is not attractive to me versus the CSR. Re: Amex offers, I find them very hit or miss. I've taken advantage of several, but mostly they require me to buy gift cards from a vendor I've never shopped with and have no intention to shop with, and resell the gift cards at a loss. Occasionally there's useful things like the 15-20% off an amount spent on specific hotel stays, cruise spend, or airlines, but those are very hit or miss depending on where I happen to be staying. It's nice when it happens, but I'd never consider it a truly reliable money-saver or source of MR. Likewise for Ebates, I've used the Chase portal for an extra 3%-15% back on rare online department store spend, and ebates looks to be similar, but I've had issues with these sorts of things tracking in the past and don't really bother with it anymore due to how little of my spending it makes up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.