Amex Platinum / Morgan Stanley Welcome Offer

Old Apr 2, 19, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM, JPMorgan Reserve, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP
Amex Platinum / Morgan Stanley Welcome Offer

I would like to receive some feedback on what you guys feel about what happened to me.

I have had the regular Platinum Card in the past and received a welcome offer. However last year I was advised through Morgan Stanley that I would be eligible for the their version of the Amex card.

I called at the time Amex and asked them if I qualify for the offer, and I was told yes, because the MS Plat is a different product. Now last week (10 month later) the Welcome Bonus Points were removed from my account and I talked to a rep and they confirmed the reason is that I wasn't eligible for this MS bonus point offer as I received on the in the past.

I was under the impression that different Plat Products would qualify.
Old Apr 2, 19, 7:35 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
What you were told does not much matter. Do the written terms of the offer disqualify previous Platinum Card holders?
Old Apr 2, 19, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by hawata View Post
I would like to receive some feedback on what you guys feel about what happened to me.

I have had the regular Platinum Card in the past and received a welcome offer. However last year I was advised through Morgan Stanley that I would be eligible for the their version of the Amex card.

I called at the time Amex and asked them if I qualify for the offer, and I was told yes, because the MS Plat is a different product. Now last week (10 month later) the Welcome Bonus Points were removed from my account and I talked to a rep and they confirmed the reason is that I wasn't eligible for this MS bonus point offer as I received on the in the past.

I was under the impression that different Plat Products would qualify.
This is the difference of rules and actual practice.

I remember the rules of the other flavors of Platinum cards state you won't get the new bonus if you've had the regular Pat card before. But this was not 100% enforced. Most of the people get the 2nd or/and 3rd bonus. But some unlucky people did not.
Old Apr 2, 19, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM, JPMorgan Reserve, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP
I would have to try to find what the terms and conditions were at the time of signup... Do you know where to find this?
Old Apr 2, 19, 7:56 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
I cannot know if the terms have changed since you applied, but start here:

https://www262.americanexpress.com/d...cshome/#/cshop
Old Apr 22, 19, 6:36 am

It appears that the Morgan Stanley Platinum card welcome terms are still different than the other Platinum cards. There is no specific language about not being eligible if you've already received the bonus in the past on this card (or any other Platinum card).
The one statement that could apply to OP's case is the section that begins: "If we in our sole discretion determine that you have engaged in abuse, misuse, or gaming in connection with the welcome offer in any way or that you intend to do so..." and the very vague, "Additional terms and restrictions apply."

Unless you've done something that looks like abuse/gaming, it seems that Morgan Stanley Plats are still set up under completely different rules than the other Platinums. I would look into this further, maybe with the help of your Morgan Stanley rep.

I'm guessing they haven't been as fearful of churning with this card, since the client-advisor relationship probably keeps it from being churned as aggressively.
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Apr 29, 19, 4:20 pm

Programs: Giants Ballpark Pass. Lifetime Ambassador Club. WN A+/CP, AS MVP, UA "fools Gold" (aka PresPlus).
Originally Posted by bryanb View Post
Unless you've done something that looks like abuse/gaming, it seems that Morgan Stanley Plats are still set up under completely different rules than the other Platinums. I would look into this further, maybe with the help of your Morgan Stanley rep.

I'm guessing they haven't been as fearful of churning with this card, since the client-advisor relationship probably keeps it from being churned as aggressively.
The big benefits of this card are that it uniquely offers a free additional card + a $550 fee wavier with a $1m account. If someone wants to park $1m with MS and/or has a bunch of friends with supplemental cards churning is much more difficult. I can't imagine asking my four supplementals to have to deal with new cards and processes.