Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

MR Points on Swedish Amex Gold/Platinum Card - 10:1 Bad Transfer Ratio

Old Mar 27, 19, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta, United, Amex, SPG, Hilton

I was doing some research on Swedish AMEX gold and platinum cards and I found that the MR transfer partners aren't the same ones as in the USA MR program (i.e. Aeroplan isn't listed as a transfer partner in the Swedish MR transfer partner list) and worst of all, the points transfer at a 10:1 ratio vs. the typical 1:1 ratio (as per the US MR program). Does anyone know more about this? Why such a crappy transfer ratio?

https://catalogue.membershiprewards....u-se8aairlines
Old Mar 27, 19, 2:45 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
This appears to reflect the USD:SEK exchange rate.

https://www.xe.com/currencyconverter...rom=USD&To=SEK
Old Mar 27, 19, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta, United, Amex, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by mia View Post
This appears to reflect the USD:SEK exchange rate.

https://www.xe.com/currencyconverter...rom=USD&To=SEK
I agree on this point, but also, any purchase in foreign currency earns 3 MR points per SEK, so a $100 purchase = $102 (w/2% FC fee), and converts into 947 SEK or 2,784 MR points. However, when this is transferred at a 10:1 ratio (lets say to Delta for example), it results in 278 airline points. So a $100 purchase --> 278 MR points. Technically this is "better" than on a US based AMEX (bc on that it would just be 100 MR points earned). Am I doing this math correctly?

I think this is a good earn rate but the signup bonus, which is currently 100k MR on the Gold, is really 10k airline miles. So the earn rate is good but the sign up bonus sucks. What do you guys think?
Old Mar 27, 19, 8:50 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, EuroBonus (SAS) Diamond, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by MissMiles View Post
I think this is a good earn rate but the signup bonus, which is currently 100k MR on the Gold, is really 10k airline miles. So the earn rate is good but the sign up bonus sucks. What do you guys think?
When I had the Swedish Platinum card the sign-up bonus was 200,000 MR, which sounds a lot, but it was only worth 20K in miles. The earn rate is good but the perks are quite limited.

In Sweden the superior cards are the SAS-branded ones that come with Star Alliance companion vouchers.

Search this Thread