AMEX Platinum Losing Boingo [USA]

Old Mar 6, 2019, 11:20 pm
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
I've used this less than five times.

Sad to see benefits go, but I'm not surprised they are reducing benefits on Plat.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by dw
Interestingly it’s already gone from the list of benefits for my Plat when I log in to my AMEX account, but still shows up under my SPG/Bonvoy cards.
Is there any way to sign up for this benefit before April 30, that anyone know of? Like a direct link, since it has disappeared from the benefits page?

Thanks,
saunders111
Old Mar 7, 2019, 5:51 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I would imagine this benefit was on the whole a limited use benefit. Most major airports have either exited the Boingo contracts entirely or alternatively have added a "free" tier.

Add to the this the number of airports which have SkyClub and/or Priority Pass locations, and this becomes an even more limited benefit.

I think it has more to say about the future of Boingo than anything else...
ijgordon and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 6:44 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by cfabar1
I would imagine this benefit was on the whole a limited use benefit. Most major airports have either exited the Boingo contracts entirely or alternatively have added a "free" tier.

Add to the this the number of airports which have SkyClub and/or Priority Pass locations, and this becomes an even more limited benefit.

This is exactly how I feel as well. I signed up for this benefit about two years ago, and I can't remember the last time I used it, so I won't miss it. I suspect usage, overall, was pretty low, and that might be why it's being discontinued... there are just plenty of WiFi options available these days.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by saunders111
Is there any way to sign up for this benefit before April 30, that anyone know of? Like a direct link, since it has disappeared from the benefits page?

Thanks,
saunders111
I think you can still do it on the Boingo site directly.

https://amex.boingo.com
Old Mar 7, 2019, 7:27 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by dw
Interestingly it’s already gone from the list of benefits for my Plat when I log in to my AMEX account, but still shows up under my SPG/Bonvoy cards.
i am still seeing this also.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 12:14 pm

For me Boingo is indispensable internationally. They have roaming agreements with most providers so wherever I am I can get on WiFi seamlessly.
pstation likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 12:20 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Well that's a bummer. I know many airports now have free wi-fi, but not all! And in some airports the Boingo was faster than the free, another part of the perk.

Thanks for reporting.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

I've never had good experience with free wifi anywhere.
roundtree likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Every airport that I've been in over the past week had Boingo (DAL, LAX, KOA, OGG, OAK). I've never had issues with speed on Boingo compared to the free Wifi. Perhaps others feel differently. I still wouldn't necessarily categorize the situation as "most" airports. Anyone have data to back this up?

Priority Pass locations are dying off faster than Boingo locations, in my experience, so I'm not really sure this is much of a point. When you combine that with the (IMO) severe restrictions placed on Skyclubs, I can't really see what point you're making.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:27 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
For me this was a quiet but useful benefit. It is nice to see my phone automatically connect to Boingo especially since my provider (T-Mobile) seems to generally have poor performance in airports, at least in my experience. I will be able to live without it but it was a perk that I actually used.
JHake10 and roundtree like this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:03 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by alggag
For me this was a quiet but useful benefit. It is nice to see my phone automatically connect to Boingo especially since my provider (T-Mobile) seems to generally have poor performance in airports, at least in my experience. I will be able to live without it but it was a perk that I actually used.
Same here. As someone who is traveling internationally most weeks of the year, the Boingo connectivity’s been super useful to me and only more so as the iOS app has improved tremendously compared to before when it comes to automatically connecting me.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:51 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Lifetime Gold, UA Premier Silver
Bummer, thanks for posting the info. While not something I use all the time, I have used it often enough that I'm sure I'll miss. Hopefully, Amex replaces the benefit with something more useful to more members.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 7:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Damn, this stinks. I use this all the time.
cfischer and JHake10 like this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 2:35 am

Programs: UA life 1K, 2MM; AA Life Pt 3mm; DL nada now!; AS nada now; BA, FD, CX, LH, DD, Amex Pt, Diners
I think it must be me but I find Boingo useless. First off it doesn't seem to work most of the time. Yeah that's me probably - typical Fortune 20 US computer company engineer. Secondly I have unlimited data on T-mobile anywhere in the world - admittedly slow overseas. 3. All hotels and all airline clubs have free wifi these days. 4. Nearly all airports worldwide have free wifi - don't often use - why would I? 5. My password for Boingo is always out of date / forgotten.

Still sorry to see it go though. A benefit gone up in smoke. Some people on this forum seem to love it. I must be a bozo.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.