Search

Making reservations

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2019, 4:41 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
Making reservations

I have used AmEx travel (centurian) for over 30 years and besides for the price going up between emails always been happy.

But today I found an error that may affect all

As a Ritz platinum, I get 2 upgrade to club certificate / year. Wanted to make club aruba Ritz for xmas. Got a price of $8000 for 5 days but they only had Kings. Needed one with 2 Queens. Went to their web site and they had them available for $9500. Amex also has upgrades via fine hotels. Called them and with the upgrade was $10,750. Had I not checked the web price for standard booking for club floor would not have realized error. Called back and first AmEx told that was it period, Felt she was wrong and called back 2 more times. Third agent checked standard booking and found without upgrade, club $9500. So she called the ritz and found that the ritz had given amex the wrong price.
So have no idea how much overcharge I have paid in past. BUT NOW will always check online prices to compare. AmEx should have been about $8200
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:04 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread as I move it to the AMEX Forum
Thanks...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:38 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
I dont trust what OTAs show. It's not that they are trying to rip you off, it can just be they see a subset of inventory (airlines and hotels don't release all inventory to everybody). Using FHR I couldn't book a room at the Cosmo in Vegas. However, Marriott.com has many rooms available. Never hurts to shop around.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:21 pm

I've given up on Amex for San Francisco Hotels. I regularly stay at a SPG property Amex shows $400-500 a night without fail whereas the hotel itself is is slightly cheaper but has a more extensive list of room cats available.

Of course the real trick is HotelTonight. Same $500 room for $125-$200. I get SPG stay credit and WiFi but no other benes. But The price diff pays for a lot of breakfast!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.