Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian SPG Amex Insurance Coverage

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond, DL Gold, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, WoH Explorist, Shangri-la Jade
Canadian SPG Amex Insurance Coverage

Hello! I tried searching the forums, but couldn't really find an answer. I have an upcoming trip with my friends, and I purchased the tickets and hotels using my SPG Amex. I was wondering if the Flight Delay/Baggage/etc insurance coverage from the credit card would cover their tickets as well, or would they have to be supplementary cardholders under my account? If they have to be supplementary cardholders, would they be covered even if I paid for the tickets with the primary card?

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:59 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
It appears that the benefit document is here:

https://www.insurance.americanexpres...ert-E-Se19.pdf

I find this definition on page 3:

Insured Person - means a cardmember, a cardmember’s spouse, and a cardmember’s dependent children, whether travelling together or not.
I do not find any provision that mentions coverage for travel companions, but do review the document.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond, DL Gold, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, WoH Explorist, Shangri-la Jade
Originally Posted by mia
It appears that the benefit document is here:

https://www.insurance.americanexpres...ert-E-Se19.pdf

I find this definition on page 3:

I do not find any provision that mentions coverage for travel companions, but do review the document.
Thanks! I do guess it really is up to the "legal-ese".

Insured Person-means a cardmember, a cardmember’s spouse, and a cardmember’s dependent children, whether travelling together or not.
But where card member is defined as
Cardmember - means a holder of a valid Basic or Supplementary card from American Express issued in Canada by Amex Bank of Canada who pays for the full fare (Coverages A, B and C) or who reserves and pays for the hotel/motel room (Coverage D) using the valid Amex Bank of Canada card.
and I guess this as well..
For CoverageA,B, and C - when the full fare of the insured person’s airline ticket is charged in advance to the cardmember’s card.
Which makes my head reel... If anyone can help me unjumble this mess and explain it simply.... my understanding is that as long as my companions are supplementary cardholders, even if the fares were charged to the primary card, then they would also each also receive coverage? Hopefully that's it.....
Old Feb 15, 2019, 12:40 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
I believe supplementary card holders (who are not your spouse / dependent children) have to pay for the tickets using their supplementary cards to be covered.

You should check with the insurance provider, claims department.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beep88
I believe supplementary card holders (who are not your spouse / dependent children) have to pay for the tickets using their supplementary cards to be covered.

You should check with the insurance provider, claims department.
Will do, many thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.