Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Canadian personal Platinum card refresh (February 2019)

Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/e...platinum-card/

• Metal card
  • 3 MR/$ on dining, 2 MR on travel & 1 MR on everything else
  • Annual fee $699
  • Additional Cards $175 annually for Platinum Cards, $50 annually for Gold Cards
Print Wikipost

Canadian personal Platinum card refresh (February 2019)

Old Feb 24, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question why?

My box arrived this week c/w playing cards. My initial reaction was why is AE refreshing this card?
The only feature I truly value is PP lounge access. Is it worth $699? Probably not. What are my alternatives?
Old Feb 24, 2019, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Meh......getting rid of the forex fee would have made this card more attractive. Without Fairmont this card lacks value.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
My box arrived this week c/w playing cards. My initial reaction was why is AE refreshing this card?
The only feature I truly value is PP lounge access. Is it worth $699? Probably not. What are my alternatives?
Buy a Priority Pass Prestige annual membership for $429US if thats the only perk thats important for you, then pair it with a no-annual fee cash-back Visa or MasterCard of your choice. Priority Pass indeed the whole Airline lounge benefit it a really nice benefit, but I cant imagine Id have the Amex Platinum if thats the only thing I wanted from it.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 10:15 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Priority Pass includes only a portion of the lounge access offered by American Express Platinum. Missing would be Airspace, Centurion, Delta, Escape.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mia
Priority Pass includes only a portion of the lounge access offered by American Express Platinum. Missing would be Airspace, Centurion, Delta, Escape.
​​​​​
Agree entirely, which is a large reason I still keep the card. I was just responding to the comment from @Antonio8069 stating, the only feature I truly value is PP lounge access.
BRAISKI and polyesther like this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: AC SE100, SPG Plat, Visa Inf Priv
Disappointing. I’ve been a member for nearly 25 years. I was really ticked when earring was reduced from 1.5 MR / $ and the fee increased from $399. The devaluation, loss of Fairmont, and subpar insurance are really pushing me away from AMEX. Trouble is that there is minimal competition in Canada. Wonder if the new metal card will set off the metal detectors in the airport.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 3:33 am

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
So you only get the AMEX Plat for the PP? Wouldn't it make sense for your to just buy the PP card? Since you don't care about the "other" benefits.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 4:37 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
PP purchased membership: USD 429 unlimited visits for member and each additional guest 32 USD.

PP membership from AMEX: CAD 699 - 200 credit, unlimited visits for member plus 1 guest free
Old Feb 27, 2019, 4:08 am

Programs: I'm a nobody everywhere
Originally Posted by YWG-RO
Disappointing. Ive been a member for nearly 25 years. I was really ticked when earring was reduced from 1.5 MR / $ and the fee increased from $399. The devaluation, loss of Fairmont, and subpar insurance are really pushing me away from AMEX. Trouble is that there is minimal competition in Canada. Wonder if the new metal card will set off the metal detectors in the airport.
I throw my wallet into the conveyer belt along with the rest of my stuff... so no big deal
Old Mar 3, 2019, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz P.C., GE/NEXUS
Just got my box, I guess I'll be exclusively using this as a dining/Priority Pass card now. Now I need a new card for normal bills...
Old Mar 4, 2019, 2:36 pm

As exciting as the 3x on dining and 2x for travel, it sucks since that's only a fraction of most expenses. The 25% was much better on everything! Seems like the Cobalt is more attractive, though not great for travel.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Annual credit Issue resolved

Amex accepted my proposed resolution to the timing change of the $200 annual credit. Now the change in earnings to digest!
Old Mar 6, 2019, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by BRAISKI
As exciting as the 3x on dining and 2x for travel, it sucks since that's only a fraction of most expenses. The 25% was much better on everything! Seems like the Cobalt is more attractive, though not great for travel.
The 3X earning on dining is supposed to be in Canada only although someone posted here that he/she also received 3X points for dining outside of Canada on the Cobalt card. So beware!

Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:26 pm

I'm finally getting around to digging into the changes. I haven't called for my metal card yet and will probably do that next week and also hopefully talk to retentions to see if they can provide any incentives as my renewal is either this month or April.

The point devaluation will cost me a little bit. By looking at my year end summary for 2018 I had just under $30000 spending which, by my calculation, should have generated just under 35000 MR points. Based on the spending categories of the year end summary my adjusted points under the new program would be just over 32000 so I'm taking about a 10% hit assuming my spending patterns don't change.

It is beginning to feel like the Platinum card is borderline beneficial for benefits at this point. If the retention folks can offer me a decent point bonus I'll keep the card.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Clipper801
The 3X earning on dining is supposed to be in Canada only although someone posted here that he/she also received 3X points for dining outside of Canada on the Cobalt card. So beware!

I'm currently in Germany would try to see if I will get 3x, challenge is to find a restaurant that takes AMEX (not planning on fancy).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.