Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Canadian personal Platinum card refresh (February 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/e...platinum-card/

• Metal card
  • 3 MR/$ on dining, 2 MR on travel & 1 MR on everything else
  • Annual fee $699
  • Additional Cards $175 annually for Platinum Cards, $50 annually for Gold Cards
Print Wikipost

Canadian personal Platinum card refresh (February 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2019, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by Vasco
The more I think about this, the more upset it makes me. I've been with Amex since 2000, and most of it with a Platinum Card. Currently, I have both the Platinum Card and the Gold Card. Travel, fuel and groceries went on the Gold card, while most everything else went on the Platinum. Now, the Platinum has been devalued from 1.25 to 1 point per $, meaning that there is no real advantage in earning over the Gold Card. The exception is restaurants. But does that make up forthe loss of 1.25 points elsewhere, plus the loss of the Fairmont benefit, plus all the other consecutive losses of benefits and priviliges we have taken over the years?

They can't even be bothered to give us a free supplementary card like every other market gets; and even the Gold Card gets. So I currently pay $699(-$200)+$175+$150 for my wife and I to each have a Platinum Card and a Gold Card. But now really there is hardly a difference between the Gold and Platinum, and hardly a difference between Gold and Cobalt. I'm now looking at getting rid of both Platinum and Gold and instead getting a Cobalt ($120+$0) plus an HSBC World Elite Mastercard ($149(-$100)+$50) that has NO FX FEES as a replacement strategy. And seriously even considering not even adding the Cobalt, and just going all-in with HSBC.

But its a metal card, so... that makes it all ok.

I love Amex. I'm in many ways an Amex loyalist; but the Platinum Card is no longer competitive. The only place where Amex still holds the lead is lounge access, but I pay to sit up front so I get lounge access without Amex anyway - but even then, most lounges these days are so overcrowded I give them a miss.
The HSBC World Elite MasterCard is effectively free for HSBC Premier customer. You get $50 discount plus a $100 travel credit to offset the $149 fee.
The HSBC WEMC also comes with LoungeKey which let you into Priority Pass lounges for US$27/person.
Their points accumulation is somewhat "convoluted" but essentially, $5,000 in eligible travel purchases get you $150 in travel reward credit. It's not the same as Amex Plat that allows you to move your points into several choices of loyalty programmes. On the other hand, if one is collecting points on Aeroplan, it will be a much better deal to use the CIBC Aerogold Visa Infinite Privilege which gives 1.25 pt./$1 spent.
This card also comes with 31 days travel insurance.
I am also unhappy with the reduction from 1.25 pt./$1 to 1 pt/$1 especially on the ambiguous eligibility on restaurant charges outside of Canada. My notification letter clearly stated "on eligible dining in Canada" although some reported here that they received 3X points on restaurant charges outside of Canada with their other Amex cards.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by mia
If the restaurant uses the hotel's merchant account you dined at a hotel, not at a restaurant. All card issuers who offer category bonuses use the merchant account category to classify expenses.
Of course category bonuses are based on the merchant account category. My point is that even here in Canada some restaurants or bars might be classified as something else because of how the machines are configured or shared and not how it would be reasonable to assume. And I'm not saying lounges or even restaurants that are marketed as belonging to a hotel, but restaurants or bars without any obvious relationship to the hotel above them, with completely separate entrances etc.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Toronto1970

They are only saying it is “in Canada” since they can not guarantee that restaurants outside of Canada will be coded properly as restaurants. The Colbalt card has the same wording, but the vast majority of my out-of-Canada restaurant charges have had the bonus points posted correctly. (Only ones that haven’t are ones that are on the restaurant floors of Japanese department stores, and some Starbucks within tourist attractions)
Yes, because they can't verify it in the US (for example) or anywhere else that is already included under their other cards - except for Canadians. I've been told so many times at Canadian (non-high-end) restaurants, that "sorry, we don't accept American Express", that I don't usually even try any more.

Counting down to my (non-)renewal date.

Dr. PITUK
Old Feb 18, 2019, 3:04 pm

The reality is that one would not know if the "restaurant" is coded to be eligible for the 3X MR points. One would only find out when one receives the statement and there is no recourse to Amex. Amex only needs to tell you that the merchant code of the establishment is not eligible. The same goes for 2X Travel point accrual.
Furthermore, I am sceptical about 3X dining at foreign restaurants since Amex made a special effort to state that 3X is dining in Canada only.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 4:02 pm

Got my new metal platinum in the mail today. Honestly a bit disappointed -- presentation was poor in a plain white envelope (although I guess if you're new to platinum versus just getting a replacement they will probably send it in that little wooden insert). Also, it's a lot cheaper-feeling that I expected. I have metal business cards so I had some expectations -- it almost just feels like plastic and you could in fact bend it if you tried. Compared to the Centurion card it's pretty flimsy.

I guess these are pretty silly things to critique lol but I just expected a bit more.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 4:08 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by theultimate
.... it almost just feels like plastic....
Contactless card?
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by 24left
Package arrived. Complete waste of paper and materials. Someone in marketing thought that part of my annual fee should be spent on wrapping, a leaflet and the underwhelming "gift" of a box of cards.
Got my package today and threw it directly in the trash. The playing cards aren't even attractive. I expected them to at least look like a deck of platinum cards. Is their marketing department completely asleep?
Clipper801 likes this.

Last edited by Low Roller; Feb 19, 2019 at 10:31 am
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:24 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, National EE, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, Fairmont Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by theultimate
Got my new metal platinum in the mail today. Honestly a bit disappointed -- presentation was poor in a plain white envelope (although I guess if you're new to platinum versus just getting a replacement they will probably send it in that little wooden insert). Also, it's a lot cheaper-feeling that I expected. I have metal business cards so I had some expectations -- it almost just feels like plastic and you could in fact bend it if you tried. Compared to the Centurion card it's pretty flimsy.

I guess these are pretty silly things to critique lol but I just expected a bit more.
How does it compare to the US Chase Sapphire Reserve?
Old Feb 21, 2019, 12:57 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Card consists of 2 layers, you can easily see. Front is metal, laser engraved I guess. Back layer is plastic I believe. Contactless logos present. Haven't actually tried.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:21 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by beep88
Card consists of 2 layers, you can easily see. Front is metal, laser engraved I guess. Back layer is plastic I believe. Contactless logos present. Haven't actually tried.
used contactless on my new metal card a couple of times today. Worked like a charm.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 8:42 pm

Programs: Starwood Plat (sigh) FPC Platinum (sigh)
The new refreshed card is . . . not my idea of shangri-la

Originally Posted by ohcanada
I've been with Amex for over 40 years, and the majority of that with the Canadian Plat, but this may require a rethink. Essentially have taken away 0.25 points/dollar on most purchases while increasing on some and giving us a metal card (eventually - my card is good until 2022). Fairmont was the best benefit of the Plat from my point of view and now that's gone, so it's hard to justify the expense. I've been super loyal to Amex for a long time but there are now many other options.
Agreed, the loss of the Fairmont benefit coupled with the earnings devaluation really brings into question the value equation of the Amex Plat.

True, the FPC benefit is replaced by Shangri-La Jade, but. . . there are - what? 7? - Shangri-La Hotels in North America? Oh, and the late check out benefit is specifically *excluded* at the only two properties in Canada? If I travelled more in China - if I was reasonably sure I wouldn't just be arrested to piss off Ottawa - this might be more of a benefit.

They're lovely hotels, but who the hell stays there with any frequency? (That's a rhetorical question. If you do, good for you, I'm happy for you, really. But I'm betting the number of folks who stay regularly at Shangri-La < people who stay(ed) at Fairmonts. By an order of magnitude.)

And I think this really sums up the Canadian Amex Plat today - it's irrelevant for most of us.
Eagle_traveler likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:17 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, National EE, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, Fairmont Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Napstolean
Agreed, the loss of the Fairmont benefit coupled with the earnings devaluation really brings into question the value equation of the Amex Plat.

True, the FPC benefit is replaced by Shangri-La Jade, but. . . there are - what? 7? - Shangri-La Hotels in North America? Oh, and the late check out benefit is specifically *excluded* at the only two properties in Canada? If I travelled more in China - if I was reasonably sure I wouldn't just be arrested to piss off Ottawa - this might be more of a benefit.

They're lovely hotels, but who the hell stays there with any frequency? (That's a rhetorical question. If you do, good for you, I'm happy for you, really. But I'm betting the number of folks who stay regularly at Shangri-La < people who stay(ed) at Fairmonts. By an order of magnitude.)

And I think this really sums up the Canadian Amex Plat today - it's irrelevant for most of us.
Shangri-la jade does not compare the the Fairmont Plat 5 promo
Fairmount with 5 nights, the certificates alone are worth the cost of the annual fees.

In the past i've always used my 1 free night certificate at Fairmont Pacific Rim, and coupled it with the suite upgrade certificate to land me a really nice room/suite easily worth $700/nt plus the $200USD worth of food and spa certificates.

I agree without the Fairmont Benefit, and now with lower point earning potential, this card is starting to lose its appeal......I was really hoping that for being a premium travel card, they would waive the foreign exchange fees on this card...then I think it would even out some of the other lost benefits.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 12:21 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by specboi
In the past i've always used my 1 free night certificate at Fairmont Pacific Rim, and coupled it with the suite upgrade certificate to land me a really nice room/suite easily worth $700/nt plus the $200USD worth of food and spa certificates.
Methinks you’ve perfectly described why that benefit disappeared.
Clipper801 likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 9:10 am

The Fairmont programme has been transitioned to Accor after Accor bought it. It would have been nice if Accor rejoins Amex Plat. Up until a few years ago, Amex Plat cardholders used to get Accor Platinum status. Then they parted ways. Agree that Shangri-la Jade is a weak offer. I have stayed at two Shangri-la properties, the one at Kowloon, Hong Kong and the one at Santosa, Singapore. Unimpressed with both and never stay at another Shangri-la again. Overall, I am unhappy with the point accrual change. I no longer use my Amex Plat to pay for most of my travel purchases because of its inferior travel insurance package in comparison with travel insurance by some other credit cards. For foreign purchases, I now use a credit card that does not charge a FX fee. In any case, the eligibility for the 2X travel accrual is ambiguous and the 3X dining accrual is equally unclear. The few times that I used the Amex Concierge service, I have them to be very good. I still like the Hertz 4-hour "extension". There are still some good features but definitely not as good as before. Don't understand the rationale why airline staff when not flying as a revenue passengers are allowed to use the Canadian Plaza Premium Lounges causing significant crowding issues.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Fairmont Plat
Got my first statement today since the changes. New reward earnings are as on Feb 13 as expected. However I did get the 3 MR / $1 on some restaurant purchases in the US from earlier in the month (prior to the 13th) which is a nice surprise. Ended up getting an average 1.4 MR / $1 earnings given my focus on dining and travel spend - would have been over 2/$1 had I had the new earning rates across my entire billing cycle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.