Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business Platinum WeWork benefit to 12.31.2020.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2019, 1:08 pm

So far I've had no problems booking available hotdesk spots. One question though - can you still key into a wework location on a day that you don't have a hotdesk reservation?
Old Sep 5, 2019, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by mster
So far I've had no problems booking available hotdesk spots. One question though - can you still key into a wework location on a day that you don't have a hotdesk reservation?
In this and other threads there are reports of cardholders receiving an access key that then allowed general access to the space (including after hours, weekends).

That said I just returned from touring a WeWork in LA and asked lots of Amex-specific questions since I was still contemplating applying for the card. They emphasized the need to make a reservation, and added that it's generally not a problem and a lot of people (including Amex cardholders) actually book out months in advance. Considering there are a few locations within my neighborhood, I was convinced enough to apply for the card for the WeWork access.

I'll add more info here once I get up and running with the card in the next couple of weeks.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 11:24 pm

You can book way ahead and no penalty if you don't show up.
On th side note, Wework benefit is only for 1 year.
This benefit probably wont be there next year.
Why?
WEWORK is going IPO this month. They've been trying to get their membership numbers up to show rapid growth in preparation for IPO. Once It`s done, they will have to get back to the profit making mode or at least not losing tons of money
Old Sep 6, 2019, 8:15 am

I agree I think this was a way to get their rolls up... but also important is churn... so hopefully they will offer us some deals to continue/maintain?
Who knows...
Old Sep 6, 2019, 8:35 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
The predecessor benefit (Regus) ran for about eight years.
levilevi likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: American Express Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Originally Posted by levilevi
I agree I think this was a way to get their rolls up... but also important is churn... so hopefully they will offer us some deals to continue/maintain?
Who knows...
I just got an AmEx business platinum card for this benefit alone even though I already have a personal Platinum card and the benefits largely overlap, so there’s no way I would otherwise be able to justify the $595 fee. I tend to want to avoid getting cards I can’t justify keeping but this benefit is so rich I’ve got the card despite the fact that I can’t see how I’m going to justify it after the benefit goes away. *Unless* they provide a way to pay for this benefit on an ongoing basis. They say it is a “$2700 value”; I’d gladly pay $2700/year or even somewhat more for this, since I don’t need wework access outside of 9-6 particularly but having it on a roving basis would be well worth the cost.

However it seems likely this is a one off for the IPO, which will be sad next year. But I hope AmEx and WeWork put their heads together on some sort of special ability for AmEx Plat cardholders to buy a Global Access plan after this promotion ends. Not holding my breath, but here’s to hoping.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by wawahoagiefest
Would you mind sharing the city where you've experienced the booked Amex hot desk spots? I'm considering getting the Platinum card for WeWork access, but suspect I may have this same problem in certain location in LA / Santa Monica where hot desks are routinely shown as unavailable (not just for Platinum members...). Thanks!
Originally Posted by levilevi
I've experienced only 1 instance of a space/hotdesk not available.. in in DC area, and this was one of the smaller DC locations on a busy day I guess. I showed up anyway and the front desk person gladly let me use space.
Originally Posted by mster
No.

Originally Posted by wawahoagiefest
In this and other threads there are reports of cardholders receiving an access key that then allowed general access to the space (including after hours, weekends).

That said I just returned from touring a WeWork in LA and asked lots of Amex-specific questions since I was still contemplating applying for the card. They emphasized the need to make a reservation, and added that it's generally not a problem and a lot of people (including Amex cardholders) actually book out months in advance. Considering there are a few locations within my neighborhood, I was convinced enough to apply for the card for the WeWork access.

I'll add more info here once I get up and running with the card in the next couple of weeks.
Getting a building key doesn't really matter because your wework key won't allow you to enter the workspace on weekends. The wework access card will only work if you have a reservation booked, and the app won't let you do that on wknds. In my experience, paying wework members either have a wework as both their office and building key, or a separate office and building key.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP/*wood Plat/Hilton Gold/Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by yerffej201
You're not actually getting $4,560 in value. The membership is hobbled - you don't get meeting room credits, get guests - which is whatever. However, you also don't even get a building access card. So if your Wework is three floors (like mine is), then you're stuck to one. You can't go to a location at 8am or 630pm, or anytime on weekends. I'm not sure if the other floors have more comfortable workspaces, but the main floor at my location only has chairs with hard wooden backs, and shared long tables. Honestly, not better than the study halls in college (although my school had good architecture and many new buildings). No way in hell would I pay $400 or even $100 for such a limited membership. A dedicated desk or private office, maybe. But I'm honestly shocked anyone spends that much on a hotdesk when there are so many other options in any major city. There probably isn't, which is why WeWork is bleeding a crap ton of money.

Edit: Oh, you're also not guaranteed a space if all the 'amex' spots are booked, as opposed to a hotdesk membership which guarantees space at your home location.
Why does the ‘value’ amount actually matter? Are you getting into a global WeWork for 12 months for the value of the Biz platinum annual fee (+ all the other benefits)? Nope.

Old Sep 7, 2019, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by blitzkriegs

Why does the ‘value’ amount actually matter? Are you getting into a global WeWork for 12 months for the value of the Biz platinum annual fee (+ all the other benefits)? Nope.

It doesn't. I just find fault when AMEX advertises it as a $2700 value. Same problem I have with people saying they got $10000 value from their points in comparison to the retail price.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 3:18 am

It doesn't. I just find fault when AMEX advertises it as a $2700 value. Same problem I have with people saying they got $10000 value from their points in comparison to the retail price.
YMMV, clearly. For me, this benefit alone is worth more than $2700/year, as there is no publicly accessible way to buy this service as an individual (“Global Access” appears to be available only to companies willing to buy at least 10 memberships at a time), I’m currently working full time remotely and I have many reasons to want to be able to use this at multiple locations around the Bay Area as well as in other cities, I can’t work at home very effectively as my young son is often home during some or all of my work hours, I don’t need the conference rooms, etc., at this time and 9-6 is perfectly adequate (if I have to work outside those hours, that’s what Starbucks is for.) In lieu of this it would be a hot desk membership which is $5K/year or more and restricted to just one location.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: AA EXP/*wood Plat/Hilton Gold/Hyatt Discoverist
Ok, so it’s advertising, not the actual use of the benefit. Big whoop what Amex advertises. Seems like you are getting a lot of value out of the benefit below the advertised cost and whatever cost you identified here.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by synzero

YMMV, clearly. For me, this benefit alone is worth more than $2700/year, as there is no publicly accessible way to buy this service as an individual (“Global Access” appears to be available only to companies willing to buy at least 10 memberships at a time), I’m currently working full time remotely and I have many reasons to want to be able to use this at multiple locations around the Bay Area as well as in other cities, I can’t work at home very effectively as my young son is often home during some or all of my work hours, I don’t need the conference rooms, etc., at this time and 9-6 is perfectly adequate (if I have to work outside those hours, that’s what Starbucks is for.) In lieu of this it would be a hot desk membership which is $5K/year or more and restricted to just one location.
I guess so.

Originally Posted by blitzkriegs

Ok, so it’s advertising, not the actual use of the benefit. Big whoop what Amex advertises. Seems like you are getting a lot of value out of the benefit below the advertised cost and whatever cost you identified here.
I wouldn't pay $500 a year for this - I don't use it enough. Sure, the benefits are as stated on the AMEX/Wework website - otherwise there would be a major problem. The cost is negligible because it's thrown in with the card annual fee. But that's the thing. For them to call it a $2700 feature when I (and I presume many others) do not get that amount of value out of it is a little deceiving.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 1:23 pm

I guess so.

I wouldn't pay $500 a year for this - I don't use it enough. Sure, the benefits are as stated on the AMEX/Wework website - otherwise there would be a major problem. The cost is negligible because it's thrown in with the card annual fee. But that's the thing. For them to call it a $2700 feature when I (and I presume many others) do not get that amount of value out of it is a little deceiving.
You keep saying this, but there's nothing "deceiving" about it. Just because you wouldn't pay $2700 for it doesn't mean that's not a fair market price. It's kind of like saying an iPhone isn't worth $1000 because you only buy Android phones.

Regus sells a similar service to this for just about $2700 for a year. Regus spaces are pretty drab and inconsistent, however, so to my mind the WeWork benefit is worth more. For those of us who actually DO use it it's worth at least $2700. As far as I know however Global Access isn't generally available at any price to random people off the street. After the year is up, however, I hope I can buy into it at the monthly rate that shows up on my invoices (my company would pay). It's incredibly convenient to have access to WeWork spaces globally, for me.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by synzero
You keep saying this, but there's nothing "deceiving" about it. Just because you wouldn't pay $2700 for it doesn't mean that's not a fair market price. It's kind of like saying an iPhone isn't worth $1000 because you only buy Android phones.

Regus sells a similar service to this for just about $2700 for a year. Regus spaces are pretty drab and inconsistent, however, so to my mind the WeWork benefit is worth more. For those of us who actually DO use it it's worth at least $2700. As far as I know however Global Access isn't generally available at any price to random people off the street. After the year is up, however, I hope I can buy into it at the monthly rate that shows up on my invoices (my company would pay). It's incredibly convenient to have access to WeWork spaces globally, for me.
My value isn't the FMV but $2700 certainly isn't either. It is absolutely deceiving because if that's a 'value' that people take into consideration if they apply for the card because of this benefit
Old Sep 11, 2019, 7:05 am

My value isn't the FMV but $2700 certainly isn't either. It is absolutely deceiving because if that's a 'value' that people take into consideration if they apply for the card because of this benefit
The fair market value is whatever the benefit could be sold for on the open market. And as I mentioned before, Regus sells precisely the same benefit (i.e., restricted 9-6pm access) on the open market for around $230/month. Similarly, in the Bay Area, WeWork sells a membership like this for $300/month = $3600/year (but it only covers the Bay Area). A single hot desk at a single location costs $420 - $550/month depending on location ($5000 - $6600/year) -- admittedly it provides 24/7 access, but it is also twice the cost, and limited to one facility.

Based on market numbers alone I don't see how you can so confidently claim $2700/month is "deceiving". Again, just because YOU wouldn't pay that much for it doesn't mean WeWork couldn't get that price for it. It's right in line with the prices being charged out there --- in fact $2700 is even lower than most of the prices you can find for similar services.
blitzkriegs likes this.

Last edited by synzero; Sep 11, 2019 at 7:10 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.