Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex cc options to keep credit history (and love amex)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2019, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

As a travel card, I am pretty sure we are going to get the Chase Sapphire Reserve. I have an AMEX SPG but I don't think the $95 AF is worth it anymore so I am trying to get another AMEX. My husband has the everyday card with $0 annual fee but it has FX fees so that is a major negative that is keeping this card very little used. What other options without another hefty AF (like CSR which is $450) would be a good option that complements the CSR? The Platinum didn't win out for the main travel card since it has skimpy travel insurance/coverage. I love the Amex customer service - the extended warranty is top notch as well.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 4:57 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Free card with no foreign transaction fees:

https://creditcard.hilton.com/hilton...s-credit-card/
Gasolin likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 1:07 am

I see no issue with looking for another Amex, but if you travel I'd hang on to the SPG card as you can probably get a lot more than $95 in value from the annual 1-night hotel certificate that you get with the card. It also provides a pretty good return on Marriott/SPG expenses.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Maybe you should wait a few weeks for Citi to relaunch with Prestige. The card has 5x on Airfare/Dining and 3x on Hotels. The card also has trip delay coverage from what I read (kicks in after only 3 hours). The only unique worthwhile transfer partners for the CSR is Hyatt and United.
WAStraveller likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 12:49 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by JHake10
....trip delay coverage from what I read (kicks in after only 3 hours)....
This has changed, and the transition was ugly:

Citi Trip Delay Reimbursement (Prestige, Chairman, HHonors, AAdvantage)
WAStraveller likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Thanks- my husband got approved for the CSR already. I received a retention bonus that I took ($100 credit - $2500 spend in 3 months). So, keeping the card for the next year at least. First agent was not so warm and fuzzy on offering retention - we spent close to $70K on that card last year.. geez..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.