Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express (USA) refreshed Green Card (October 2019).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club

Pretty interesting rumor from doctor of credit. A refresh to the green card with bonus categories. I'm assuming this will come with an AF increase like all the other refreshes.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/rumor...treaming-more/

4x on gas is interesting. However, I don't know if I actually spend that much in the category to justify the AF. While 3x is nice on anything for typical un-bonused categories I can just get 2x on the BBP and not worry about an AF.

Last edited by JHake10; Jan 7, 2019 at 9:05 am
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:00 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I expected Green to be refreshed, but I thought the annual fee would stay at $95 to compete with Sapphire Preferred and Citi Premier. However, I suppose American Express could increase the fee for Green and leave Everyday Preferred as its $95 entry.
JHake10 likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
3% on streaming? What's that, 40 MR a month for my Hulu No-commercials plan? If it was all entertainment including cable bills, that would be more enticing.
cuthroat and robchow like this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:37 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Gig103
.... Hulu No-commercials plan? .....
THIS data is a year old, but it seems common for people to have more than one streaming subscription, and I gather this is increasing due to proprietary programming that is only available from one service.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:10 am

If past is prologue, there’s going to be a sizable increase in the upfront annual fee with some sort of benefit/credit that if has 100% utilization brings the actual fee way down. I’m skeptical about Prime as that would have minimal breakage opportunities.

It seems to me that Amex wants to drive customers into a single product for the vast majority of their spend, with Gold being the sweet spot for most customers.

If customers really do want multipliers on a large number of categories, Amex will not cede space to competitors, but it will cost customers, probably upwards of $1,000 in annual fees for Green, Gold, and Platinum.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:44 pm

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tutkija80
I’m skeptical about Prime as that would have minimal breakage opportunities.
I would also be skeptical on two fronts:

1. As you said, the fee would not remain only slightly increased. My expectation would be fully increased from $95 to $195 or more.
  2. Given Amazon's relationship with Chase on cards, it would be a big shift to introduce such an arrangement with Amex. Doesn't mean it isn't possible, but I think the addition of Prime is wishful thinking.

Not sure why Amex would choose to refresh the Green card with these categories. I would think streaming would need a wider appeal, for a general entertainment category instead. But, what do I know. The green card has always confused me after they introduced the PRG and Platinum.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by roundtree
Not sure why Amex would choose to refresh the Green card with these categories. I would think streaming would need a wider appeal, for a general entertainment category instead...
Gotta keep the AMEX Green as an undesirable card I guess - at least compared to the Gold and Platinum.

Even if one spends $50 a month between a bunch of different streaming services, you're looking at 150 MR points... Not enough to make the card significant.

Free Amazon Prime on the other hand? I think that would outweigh a $119 annual fee, or at least draw even. People may bash the card for being "even" when talking about the benefits they'll get, but at least they wouldn't be paying a $95 AF for what's basically a 1x on everything card (like before) with no benefits.

I'd like to see AMEX have the Green earn 1.5x MR on everything with a $50 airline incidental credit - I think this would be more attractive than the rumors cited in the article.

Given Amazon's relationship with Chase on cards, it would be a big shift to introduce such an arrangement with Amex. Doesn't mean it isn't possible, but I think the addition of Prime is wishful thinking.
Amazon's latest credit card is through AMEX.

Last edited by mikesyr18; Jan 7, 2019 at 3:29 pm
Old Jan 7, 2019, 5:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Gotta keep the AMEX Green as an undesirable card I guess - at least compared to the Gold and Platinum.

Even if one spends $50 a month between a bunch of different streaming services, you're looking at 150 MR points... Not enough to make the card significant.

Free Amazon Prime on the other hand? I think that would outweigh a $119 annual fee, or at least draw even. People may bash the card for being "even" when talking about the benefits they'll get, but at least they wouldn't be paying a $95 AF for what's basically a 1x on everything card (like before) with no benefits.

I'd like to see AMEX have the Green earn 1.5x MR on everything with a $50 airline incidental credit - I think this would be more attractive than the rumors cited in the article.

Amazon's latest credit card is through AMEX.
i dont know why Amex doesn’t just merge Green and Everyday Preferred into a revamped Green card and merge Everyday and Blue (non-cash) into a revamped Blue charge card.

seems redundant to be offering all these cards.

also let us cash out MR at 1cpp and can merge the Cash magnet and blue cash cards into these as well.

Keep it simple, you know?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:11 pm

Something is going on with Amazon Prime and AMEX already. At the end of the year we got an offer of 90 days free Prime because we have an AMEX Green card.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012

i dont know why Amex doesn’t just merge Green and Everyday Preferred into a revamped Green card and merge Everyday and Blue (non-cash) into a revamped Blue charge card.

seems redundant to be offering all these cards.
The EveryDay portfolio does seem to be the odd group out, particularly the Preferred. With Amex aggressively pushing Pay overtime Limits onto their charge cards, and in some cases automatically like the new Business Gold, it might make sense to have Green, Gold, & Platinum earning Membership Rewards, keep the basic EveryDay card and deprecate the Preferred.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by tutkija80

The EveryDay portfolio does seem to be the odd group out, particularly the Preferred. With Amex aggressively pushing Pay overtime Limits onto their charge cards, and in some cases automatically like the new Business Gold, it might make sense to have Green, Gold, & Platinum earning Membership Rewards, keep the basic EveryDay card and deprecate the Preferred.
Everyday Preferred is too valuable of a card to drop. AMEX would be better off dropping the Green.

The Green is a useless card... AMEX should focus on making their charge cards a premium product, and the Green won't ever fit that category.
roundtree likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 12:35 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by Gig103
3% on streaming? What's that, 40 MR a month for my Hulu No-commercials plan? If it was all entertainment including cable bills, that would be more enticing.
I've DirecTV Now at $35/mo and Netflix at $15/mo, so that would be 150 MR/month. I also have Apple Music for $16/mo, if it qualifies as streaming that would be another 48MR/mo.

I'm not sure how typical this distribution is, however.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 5:37 pm

I wonder how beneficial for Amex it would be to have quarterly free categories and how much that would piss odd streaming companies. (Since you can binge new shows). Like...

Three months free NetFlix (via Amex credit for up to $15/mo or something)
Three months free HBOGO or Showtime Anytime
Three months free iTunes/Pandora/Spotify
$20/mo credit for DirectTV Now or Sling or something.

If Amex dialed it in they could get near ~$195/year in credits which could justify a ~$195 AF. They also probably would see higher numbers of people that don’t utilize it because they would have to remember to cancel every 3 months. So for heavy streamers that had each service they would use all them, for power users like us we might sign up and cancel and use them. But for most people they probably would only have a movie service and music or movie and tv, or music and tv. So see pretty good value but at the same time not max it out...
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:16 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Everyday Preferred is too valuable of a card to drop. AMEX would be better off dropping the Green.

The Green is a useless card... AMEX should focus on making their charge cards a premium product, and the Green won't ever fit that category.
I would say the Green card is one of the most recognizable icons out there. I doubt Amex will ever get rid of it. Even Warren Buffett carries it!
Old Jan 18, 2019, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
I would say the Green card is one of the most recognizable icons out there. I doubt Amex will ever get rid of it. Even Warren Buffett carries it!
AMEX has tarnished their reputation so bad over the last 20 years, only the misinformed would think it's an icon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.