Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

2019 Has anyone actually received a Centurion Card invite (except UK)?

Old May 20, 2019, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Discussion of UK Centurion has been segregated:

Centurion Card (United Kingdom)
Print Wikipost

2019 Has anyone actually received a Centurion Card invite (except UK)?

Old Feb 2, 2019, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by Robbiedeluxe
Can confirm the Spanish Centurion includes most of the same benefits as the UK card, but instead of Emirates and Virgin we get SkyTeam ElitePlus through Air Europa.

Other than that, I have discovered that you can use the same credentials to login to other markets and browse through their benefits, for example if you have a Swedish card you can go to americanexpress.se/centurion and login, then head over to for example americanexpress.de/centurion and all benefits will show up.

Please note this is just for browsing, if you try to apply for the benefits you will be redirected back to your own market.
That's interesting, you can log into all the EU sites - but not the US one!

Question for all NON US Cardholders: Did you guys get stuck with this terrible Re-design of the actual card like we did in Germany/Switzerland/Austria?
Old Feb 2, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: SK*G & Centurion
Originally Posted by Jay66
Question for all NON US Cardholders: Did you guys get stuck with this terrible Re-design of the actual card like we did in Germany/Switzerland/Austria?
Nope, the Spanish one is the old version (chip but no NFC/contactless).
Old Feb 2, 2019, 7:37 am

Does it seem like personal Centurion spend is more feasible than business? Anyone with a personal U.S. Centurion like to share their data points?
Old Feb 2, 2019, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by RichardMannion
You should see the International Dollar/Euro versions of Centurion - they come with twenty additional cards included in the fee in a choice of Platinum, Gold and Green (one of them can be black as your primary supp)..
Does anyone have a link to the Centurion ICC Benefits? Or a PDF?

If you have an EU Centurion - can you directly apply to the ICC Centurion?
Old Feb 3, 2019, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
That's interesting, you can log into all the EU sites - but not the US one!
Are you sure you can't? Access to any Amex website world-wide has been with us for a long time. I'd say at least 15 years. I have cards in multiple countries yet always log in at one country and have different username/passwords for each country.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by JK
In some countries, because of criminal risk, I know people have mentioned they feel safer not flashing black or platinum - hence you might go for green.
Here in Argentina Amex will issue, upon a member's request and for personal safety reasons, a green card that is actually a Plat/Cent. That "fake green" card will get you all the Plat/Cent benefits except for those where you need to actually produce your card. So you could rent a car with that "fake green" card and get the Plat/Cent insurance, for instance. I bet the same "fake" card can be issued in other countries.

It's still the old card in Argentina, with chip but without contactless. I called Amex in December as I was travelling to London, where contactless is very useful, but they said they weren't planning on inssuing contactless cards at least until late 2019
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:16 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Seems to me a logical step for Amex would be to have a card in between Platinum and Centurion. A "titanium card" with a $1000-1200 annual annual fee that bridges the gap between platinum and centurion.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 9:15 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by cfabar1
....A "titanium card" with a $1000-1200.....
Centurion annual fee was $1000 until 2002.

Centurion fee goes up to $2500

Centurion cards are made with titanium.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:18 am

I got a Centurion invite recently and I'm honestly surprised that I did, given that my net worth and income are nowhere near Centurion level (or so I thought). I'm guessing that I got one based on the anti-credit culture (I live in the Netherlands) and the fact that I travel a lot.
Still waiting on more information before I make the decision because there's really not much out there for the Dutch version! If any other Dutch cent members can chime in, I'd appreciate your opinions especially regarding the advantages over Platinum. Trying to justify the cost with numbers instead of getting it just for the prestige!
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:38 am

Originally Posted by kaet
I got a Centurion invite recently and I'm honestly surprised that I did, given that my net worth and income are nowhere near Centurion level (or so I thought). I'm guessing that I got one based on the anti-credit culture (I live in the Netherlands) and the fact that I travel a lot.
Still waiting on more information before I make the decision because there's really not much out there for the Dutch version! If any other Dutch cent members can chime in, I'd appreciate your opinions especially regarding the advantages over Platinum. Trying to justify the cost with numbers instead of getting it just for the prestige!
Its weird. I didn't solicit one either and the invite came out of the blue. Plus talking to people I know that have a Centurion card, all 3 previously had Platinum or Gold Amex cards and were then invited in. I had an American Express Airline points card only.

Last edited by ragsk; Feb 17, 2019 at 3:11 am
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by mia
The metal American Express contactless cards issued in the USA are made of two layers, a plastic layer bonded to the back of the metal. The contactless hardware is in the plastic layer, and the feature will only work if the back of the card is facing the sensor.
That's true, but it's my understanding that the US-issued metal Centurion cards are made from a different process: they are just one piece of metal (titanium) rather than layers, and do not have a contactless option. Am I misinformed?
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:53 pm

None of the Metal Centurion Cards are contactless. Not in the US, not anywhere. US Platinum and Gold cards are a different story.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: Various
US and UK Centurion cards are made out of two pieces of Titanium (no plastic), the main card piece, and then the rectangle insert piece below the signature strip - that allows them to hammer through the card numbering and name on each card and then put the rectangle piece over them so you can't see the 'embossing'/hammering from the back - however they are not contactless.

US Platinum and Gold (the new Gold/rose gold) cards are the metal and plastic laminates (metal front, plastic back), so they can be issued as contactless.

UK Centurion cards (main AC) issued in plastic are available with contactless
rymetymeuk likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Music
Rickie,
What's your status?
Crazy experience so far. So I did mention that my FICO score during the invite process was very low. What I did not share with you all is that I am a victim of ID theft, and still had two delinquent accounts that never came out of my Experian report. When AMEX did the soft pull, after 5 business days or so I receive a decline for the Centurion Card. I called respectfully yet livid because they already had my FICO and why would they send me an invite if it was going to get declined to due the current FICO. They did a hard pull only to confirm what I had already mentioned to the (ID theft back in 09' and high utilization rate due to two cards posting a balance, even when I pay in full multiple times per month). After reconsideration, and escalating to the Executive Office the application was declined again! I wrote them a letter both sent via email and certified showing them a police report I had filed to get these two accounts removed.

Long story short, this invite made me look at my FICO, and drove me to get that police report done and copy uploaded to Experian within 24hrs. 2 days later my score jumped up to nearly 800 from 637 (All my balances went down to zero on all cards too). The two derogatory accounts from 2010-12 are now deleted, and my utilization rate is around 1% I called them back on the 18th and asked them if I can submit a new application. An hour later they called me back allowing me to submit a new application. They did the soft pull (saw it on Experian on the 18th) and went straight to "in-progress" status again. This I know happens because of my Fraud statement, and is simply part of the typical process I go through. I saw American Express 2 did another soft pull yesterday. Haven't received yet the call where they ask for approval to run my credit and confirming I applied for a new account (this is proper due process stated on my Experian personal statement). Before this whole process took from the 16th to the 29th to get the call, so I am expecting the same turn around time. Best case, the card just shows up and the soft pull allowed them to see that everything on my credit is now "Excellent" and they send the card.

I haven't posted this prior because I kinda wanted to wait to see how the whole thing turns out. One conclusion that is not my opinion, but now a new fact that no one can actually Google is that:

- If you get an invite to be a part of the Centurion Family, you still have to apply and actually be approved. It doesn't mean you have been completely approved. I confirmed that the invite comes from your overall profile but not your FICO. Through the approval process you have to hit a certain overall score within their profile, and then actually get approved. It is a completely different department that does this due diligence/risk team. You don't get to call the number on the application status if you get a decline and speak to them.

All in all, I do know AMEX 100% wants me to join the Centurion Family, but know they have to cover themselves. They could have not simply taken my word or documentations last month showing them that the delinquencies were going to come off and approve me based on that. Now they don't have to take my word for it. They can pull my credit and confirm everything I had stated before is in fact the truth now. I have a stellar payment history, and run millions of dollars every year through my credit and pay in full. We shall see what the outcome is. Either way its positive for me now, as I was able to clean my credit once and for all!

Will report back shortly
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Rickie Cruz
It is a completely different department that does this due diligence/risk team.
This sounds like something that Citi or even Chase would pull on one of their crap CCs. Just makes AMEX look bad.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.