Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

2019 Has anyone actually received a Centurion Card invite (except UK)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 20, 2019, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Discussion of UK Centurion has been segregated:

Centurion Card (United Kingdom)
Print Wikipost

2019 Has anyone actually received a Centurion Card invite (except UK)?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2019, 5:50 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Originally Posted by BobbySteel

sounds like an easy decision for you. How did you find your concierge?
This is where I have to be discreet. Happy to discuss over PM but would rather not disclose publicly.

I am largely fascinated by the decision to spend $10k+ for prestige purposes, though. Expensive watches I understand because, in theory, you could sell them for almost what you paid for them. I guess it's just psychological manipulation by Amex/a good example of a veblen good.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Have to say this card feels like a big waste of money. Removing the Priority Pass dining option is simply treating members like chumps.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: American Express Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
You'd think Centurion members would at least still get to eat at P.F. Chang's for free...
Old Aug 22, 2019, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Music
Just seems like the real deal is in the Business Centurion. The personal Cent's benefits aren't really worth $10k if you had a Business Plat. Seems like Rickie's using the personal card for business anyway.

Also, the threshold for Biz Cent is probably much higher.
For my business I use platinum for anything over 5k and gold for Adspend. Get a lot more points with that strategy. My Personal Cent I use for strictly luxury stuff now. The biggest value of Centurion is by far having an RM. I couldn't imagine it any other way. For me its easily 80k + year value of having an executive assistant manage everything for me.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: American Express Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Originally Posted by Rickie Cruz
For my business I use platinum for anything over 5k and gold for Adspend. Get a lot more points with that strategy. My Personal Cent I use for strictly luxury stuff now. The biggest value of Centurion is by far having an RM. I couldn't imagine it any other way. For me its easily 80k + year value of having an executive assistant manage everything for me.
I’ve read multiple different things about this. Some saying the Centurion isn’t much better than a Plat and others swearing by their RM. I am curious what sorts of things the RM does for you? In general terms, of course, if you are able to share.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by synzero

I’ve read multiple different things about this. Some saying the Centurion isn’t much better than a Plat and others swearing by their RM. I am curious what sorts of things the RM does for you? In general terms, of course, if you are able to share.
There are no limits to what your RM can do. The more you build a relationship with them and leave them stellar reviews the more motivated they are to go out of their way to ensure the anticipate your needs. Can't give you hard examples, as the biggest stand outs for me are some I can definitely not mention here. All I can say is that they are seriously loyal to you once you have that level of relationship with them.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
There are no limits to what your RM can do. The more you build a relationship with them and leave them stellar reviews the more motivated they are to go out of their way to ensure the anticipate your needs. Can't give you hard examples, as the biggest stand outs for me are some I can definitely not mention here. All I can say is that they are seriously loyal to you once you have that level of relationship with them.
really? Mine couldn't even book a ferry in Croatia
Old Aug 23, 2019, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by BobbySteel

really? Mine couldn't even book a ferry in Croatia
So in this case I have them involved to the point of when I even think about going somewhere they already know what I will need and want to do and book it all ahead of time. So I get an itinerary with everything already scheduled/reserved. If I want to go on a ferry it was probably already booked for me. If its the type of trip I want go with zero plans and wing it, then I wouldn't bother to engage them in any way. Its probably more effective to do with the concierge at the hotel you are staying at.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 2:27 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
.... I have them involved to the point of when I even think about going somewhere they already know what I will need and want to do and book it all ahead of time.....
I am puzzled how you have been able to establish this level of rapport in less than a year.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I am puzzled how you have been able to establish this level of rapport in less than a year.
I established this level of rapport with the Centurion/Amex team before I was even invited When I want something I go after it a thousand percent.

To me, its all about relationships. Everything in life that is. I am sure I am preaching to the choir (some may perceive) but at the end of the day it's very simple. Every relationship is a transaction. With Centurion its a two way street.

My most valuable tip I can give to those that want to be invited (and once you do they have to approve you) is to ask yourself if you honestly "require" more from AMEX than what is currently being provided with your platinum. Do you already have a close relationship with some of the AMEX executives (customer service, concierge, executive office, billing). If you always call in to speak to specific people then you are one step closer. It will get to the point they will call you to see how you are doing, send you thank you cards etc... The reality is that those people you build a relationship will be the one to initiate the invite. You can request to be noted, but you will simply in a pool of tens of thousands of people who probably have a lot more than you. Like when most of you started your business, now a days you have to be disruptive to be remembered. Honestly you have to do the same with AMEX. If not, you will not stand out, and that invite will take years to come if ever.

I talk to my AMEX team pretty much every day via Whatsapp, email etc... I consider them part of my team/family, and reality is that it feels the same way around. If you are not about that level of relationship then its definitely not worth it for those of you hoping to get invited. Hope this all makes sense
Old Aug 23, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
I talk to my AMEX team pretty much every day via Whatsapp, email etc... I consider them part of my team/family, and reality is that it feels the same way around. If you are not about that level of relationship then its definitely not worth it for those of you hoping to get invited. Hope this all makes sense

A dog is a lot cheaper. And it will love you unconditionally. Even if you are late on a payment.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by nachosdelux
A dog is a lot cheaper. And it will love you unconditionally. Even if you are late on a payment.
Haha. No doubt. I have two! But honestly Amex doesn't need the 10k from someone to sign up and the $2500, especially those who consider the initiation cost. Anyone concerned about the cost of getting invited and yearly fee is simply not a good candidate... Kinda like when I have someone reaching out to me asking "how much" and its like their first question. I can reply back and say "you cant afford it." They will get nasty and try to hype themselves up, but on the inside I am thinking "you should not try to afford it. This is not for you."
Old Aug 26, 2019, 12:11 pm

So....I've received my business Centurion about a month ago. It required spending of more than $700k/month for a few months before my relationship manager moved it up.

I have a different thinking on this than Ricky does. Yes, it'll give you some elite statuses with airlines and hotels, etc. Yes, agreeing with Ricky I have a dedicated RM at Centurion to help my travel and they do jump through infinite hoops to make magic happen, which is really, I believe, the value that Centurion has. 50% points back on spend is definitely helpful as well, but you can only get it with Business Centurion and not the personal one.

I don't buy the rest of the stuff being transforming, life altering, none of that stuff. Most people are used to metal cards now, most times you are swiping or sticking the card in. The perks are definitely worth more than $10k/year IF you use them. The relationship that Centurion managers have if pretty awesome...like having a personal assistant. A business platinum offers much, much more than a personal Centurion.

Last edited by Music; Aug 26, 2019 at 1:02 pm
Old Aug 26, 2019, 12:18 pm

Pictures for you all...

Old Aug 26, 2019, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Music
So....I've received my business Centurion about a month ago. It required spending of more than $700k/month for a few months before my relationship manager moved it up.

I have a different thinking on this than Ricky does. Yes, it'll give you some elite statuses with airlines and hotels, etc. Yes, agreeing with Ricky I have a dedicated RM at Centurion to help my travel and they do jump through infinite hoops to make magic happen, which is really, I believe, the value that Centurion has. 50% points back on spend is definitely helpful as well, but you can only get it with Business Centurion and not the personal one Ricky has.

I don't buy the rest of the stuff being transforming, life altering, none of that stuff. Most people are used to metal cards now, most times you are swiping or sticking the card in. The perks are definitely worth more than $10k/year IF you use them. The relationship that Centurion managers have if pretty awesome...like having a personal assistant. Other than that...let's not let this go to your head, Ricky. A business platinum offers much, much more than your personal Centurion.
Thanks for adding to it. You answered pretty much stated the same thing I already stated. Glad you are happy with your RM. Like I also stated, thats where the value is. I have both as well! Just giving my first hand experience with Centurion in general.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.