Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

2019 Has anyone actually received a Centurion Card invite (except UK)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 20, 2019, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Discussion of UK Centurion has been segregated:

Centurion Card (United Kingdom)
Print Wikipost

2019 Has anyone actually received a Centurion Card invite (except UK)?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by gengar
This sounds like something that Citi or even Chase would pull on one of their crap CCs. Just makes AMEX look bad.
.... I have some pretty good CLs with Chase (ritz card) and CITI (AA executive card). One thing that's for sure (and would love to hear your guys opinion on this, you cannot compare the redemption on AA travel when putting big spend on your AA Executive Card when comparing to AMEX card. MR redemption don't come close to booking First/Business on AA. I have to spend five times the amount of $$ to book the same flight. I know this is a completely different subject, but one that I am constantly trying to figure out.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 7:41 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Rickie Cruz
First/Business on AA. I have to spend five times the amount of $$ to book the same flight...
It sounds as if you are comparing an Award Redemption to a Pay with Points redemption. Pay with Points (in any program) simply substitutes points for money at a fixed rate, which means the number of points required reflects the retail cash price of a ticket.

Inasmuch as Membership Rewards does not transfer to AA, you would need to transfer to another airline program and redeem for a partner award on a flight operated by AA. There is a learning curve to use partner awards. The award seat availability is determined by the airline operating the flight; but the number of miles or points is determined by the program through which you redeem.

Begin reading here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showwiki.php?t=1646902
Old Feb 22, 2019, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by mia
It sounds as if you are comparing an Award Redemption to a Pay with Points redemption. Pay with Points (in any program) simply substitutes points for money at a fixed rate, which means the number of points required reflects the retail cash price of a ticket.

Inasmuch as Membership Rewards does not transfer to AA, you would need to transfer to another airline program and redeem for a partner award on a flight operated by AA. There is a learning curve to use partner awards. The award seat availability is determined by the airline operating the flight; but the number of miles or points is determined by the program through which you redeem.

Begin reading here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showwiki.php?t=1646902
Awesome! Will definitely look into this. I would love to absolutely put all my spend on AMEX but the fact is that I typically fly AA, and with my spend I get to fly with my wife First/Business International FREE every time. I hate using my CC though because many times it reports on my FICO at a 96% utilization rate and I don't have the time to be on top of it. I have seen some pretty good redemption rates with Fine Hotels & Resorts via AMEX MR points. Anyhow, back to Centurion.... What they did say is that I would not get 5x on travel anymore and would simply get 20% points back.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:11 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Rickie Cruz
....typically fly AA, and with my spend I get to fly with my wife First/Business International FREE every time....
American has two tiers of award seats: MileSAAver any AAnytime. Partners only have access to the MileSAAver inventory. If you are redeeming for AAytime seats you must use AAdvantage miles.

Two banks issue cards that earn AAdvantage miles: Barclays and Citi. You can reduce the FICO impact of spending on these cards by having one (or more) from each bank, with diverse closing dates - say one in the middle of the month and one at the end. Alternate between cards so that you are using a lower proportion of each limit. If your cash flow permits you can further reduce the impact by making an early payment, just before the closing date, so that the reported balances are lower.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by mia
American has two tiers of award seats: MileSAAver any AAnytime. Partners only have access to the MileSAAver inventory. If you are redeeming for AAytime seats you must use AAdvantage miles.

Two banks issue cards that earn AAdvantage miles: Barclays and Citi. You can reduce the FICO impact of spending on these cards by having one (or more) from each bank, with diverse closing dates - say one in the middle of the month and one at the end. Alternate between cards so that you are using a lower proportion of each limit. If your cash flow permits you can further reduce the impact by making an early payment, just before the closing date, so that the reported balances are lower.
Yep. I always book AAnytime, so its more but have access to the non stop flights. Agreed with you on the payments. Because my spend is well over 100k per month, which makes it 3x over my limit I always have to pay the CCs in full multiple times per month. The issue is not having something to use for the 3 days or so it takes to clear and report balance. The chargecard is great because it doesn't impact my FICO regardless if I have 100k balance reported on my Experian.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:43 pm

So I accepted the Centurion card invite and was told I could expect the card in four months. Four months?! I got an email welcoming me as a Centurion cardholder, which I find odd as I don't actually HAVE a card to hold yet. Is this normal? Seems like a strange way to do it.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 4:06 am

Programs: BA Gold
mine 8 weeks, also the Netherlands. Should arrive soon
Old Feb 23, 2019, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by janwillem
Originally Posted by kaet
So I accepted the Centurion card invite and was told I could expect the card in four months. Four months?! I got an email welcoming me as a Centurion cardholder, which I find odd as I don't actually HAVE a card to hold yet. Is this normal? Seems like a strange way to do it.
Probably an International thing.... Crazy wait time.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by janwillem
Jan, when did you accept the invite? I actually got the invite in December but didn't accept it until last week, so I'm thinking that might have been the reason for the longer wait...
Old Feb 25, 2019, 5:27 pm

I got the call today from my rep. He came through, going thru the app process tomorrow.
PilotJoe91 likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 2:53 pm

So I also didn’t want to post anything until I was in the clear as well. I can 100% confirm that the process Rickie went through is extremely similar to my situation with the biz cent. Phone call came from cent department extending invite. Business information such as Gross rev, net rev, monthly expense amounts, personal annual income was all asked - nothing different than applying for a normal charge card. The account was immediately placed into a review and it was approved just shy of 24 hours later. I was able to log in, set up the cards online profile and I am assuming I will be receiving the card before the weekend. Will post pics once it comes in.
PilotJoe91 likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:11 pm

Congratulations on finally getting it, and FWIW when I got the call, they asked nothing about income, expenses, etc., and I got a fairly instantaneous approval.

Suggest you familiarize yourself with the added Centurion amenities at the FHR program. There's no published list, unfortunately, but I got a $250 meal credit at the Waldorf in Las Vegas last month (additional Centurion amenity), so a couple of these per year will put a dent in that fee. Unfortunately the Wynn in Las Vegas recently stopped the meal credit for the Centurion amenity (I think it was a generic property credit) and is just giving extra spa credit. This and the 50% back on the points for airlines will make the numbers pencil in if you know how to use them.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by nyc2cal
Congratulations on finally getting it, and FWIW when I got the call, they asked nothing about income, expenses, etc., and I got a fairly instantaneous approval.

Suggest you familiarize yourself with the added Centurion amenities at the FHR program. There's no published list, unfortunately, but I got a $250 meal credit at the Waldorf in Las Vegas last month (additional Centurion amenity), so a couple of these per year will put a dent in that fee. Unfortunately the Wynn in Las Vegas recently stopped the meal credit for the Centurion amenity (I think it was a generic property credit) and is just giving extra spa credit. This and the 50% back on the points for airlines will make the numbers pencil in if you know how to use them.
thanks. And honestly without insight from certain people on this forum I probably would have never probed my rep as much as I did for this card. Although my entrance to this card was probably considered “brute force”, most people who probably get the invitation organically are the ones who get the approval without que times.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 8:35 am

Agreed. That's the thing....so many people on this forum have fallen into a weird algorithm where they are chosen for it, but don't have the same high spend and loyalty. That's the puzzling piece.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by Music
so many people on this forum have fallen into a weird algorithm where they are chosen for it, but don't have the same high spend and loyalty.
Part of the mystery is that the requirements vary dramatically between countries, and in many cases, people telling their stories here don't specify which country they're talking about. I think it's fair to say that the majority of discussion and interest is about the US-issued Centurion product. It also seems true that most of the time when someone posts a recent experience about being able to get a new Centurion account with relatively little spend, if we eventually find out what the country of issue is, it's other than the US. Those experiences, while relevant to whatever country's Centurion product is involved, have no bearing on what the US requirements are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.