Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

2019 Has anyone actually received a Centurion Card invite (except UK)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 20, 2019, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Discussion of UK Centurion has been segregated:

Centurion Card (United Kingdom)
Print Wikipost

2019 Has anyone actually received a Centurion Card invite (except UK)?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:02 am

Rickie,
What kind of questions do they ask when they call you?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:27 am

Great insight Rickie. From what I am gathering Amex looks more on what kind of spend vs amount of spend.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Music
Rickie,
What kind of questions do they ask when they call you?
Well I didn't pick up the call the first time, so it was a minute VM congratulating me and inviting me to the Centurion family. I called back shortly after (this was last night around 9pm eastern) and they gave me the run down. I asked a few questions I had. They asked me if I would accept the invite after going over everything and I said yes. That proceeded to about a 30 min convo where they confirm all of our identity, income (they already had) my company info, total net work approx, where I would like my card(s) to be mailed, billing address, billing end cycle and all that stuff. Once that was done they asked me to be placed on hold while they submit. He came back and stated that everything has been submitted and that within 72hrs I would have a response. That actually confused me. I asked him if that was a normal process, and not just say that "we will be sending you your card etc..." I received an email stating "We are excited that you decided to apply for the Centurion Card etc... We are reviewing everything and we will let you know if we need anything else." I didn't want to copy and paste the email here so I can keep somethings confidential. I know this is a privilege and a lot of people want this, so I want to definitely show some respect to AMEX and keep these details confidential.

Anyhow, now I am simply waiting for either a call, the big box to show up any day, and activate my card/move my platinum balance over and continue business as usual. The 50k limit I had on my platinum card disappeared. Currently it just shows zero available credit, but it works no problem. I am guessing thats part of the process. Honestly no idea. I am not also going to be "that guy" calling AMEX to put them pressure out of excitement. Im sure they have their due-process, which I will support and roll with.

If any of you have gone through this process (personal cent) let me know any insight. Last time I went through this for my old business cent was kind of similar. Showed "in progress" on the AMEX portal, CC showed up for activation, I then called and that was that. They then introduce you to your assigned agent etc...
Old Jan 17, 2019, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by Ali380
Great insight Rickie. From what I am gathering Amex looks more on what kind of spend vs amount of spend.
For sure and honestly build relationships with concierge to the point you are requesting the same person. Maximize them. Book all travel with Amex travel, build a relationship with them. Literally use everything they have to offer. Use concierge to send gifts to people, book Michelin restaurants, use all the fine resorts and all that good stuff, but honestly use it because you find true value and not because you are trying to get their attention. That won't work. Im sure a lot of people go out of their way to spend more or do certain things in hope to get their attention. You will have to do that for a very long time, to the point you end up paying hundreds of thousands just to hopefully get an invite. That's my take on it.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 12:44 pm

Super helpful and thank you! Hopefully I get the same call!
Old Jan 17, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Rickie Cruz
I have a decent social media following, and spend a lot of time dressing celebs, taking them out.
This is obviously the key.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Rickie Cruz
If any of you have gone through this process (personal cent) let me know any insight. Last time I went through this for my old business cent was kind of similar. Showed "in progress" on the AMEX portal, CC showed up for activation, I then called and that was that. They then introduce you to your assigned agent etc...
My experience was nothing like yours. No long calls verifying things. After all they already knew me from having the Platinum card. No mention of my net worth. I'm not on social media nor a BA. Your experience sounds rather bizarre.
heychrisbaker and hayzel7773 like this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:11 am
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
So can anyone else confirm that they no longer send the invite in the mail and that it’s just a phone call now?
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:10 pm

Programs: SK*G & Centurion
Originally Posted by S.R
So can anyone else confirm that they no longer send the invite in the mail and that it’s just a phone call now?
Not sure about other markets, but in Spain the invite was sent via courier before a follow-up call some days later.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:45 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by stimpy
My experience was nothing like yours. No long calls verifying things. After all they already knew me from having the Platinum card. No mention of my net worth. I'm not on social media nor a BA. Your experience sounds rather bizarre.
Same here, from what I recall it was quick call just to say an invitation had been extended to me and did I want to accept it; card showed up 2 days later via UPS in a white box.
heychrisbaker likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by mia
Agreed. This indicates your spending is disproportionate to what American Express knows about your income.

What type of documentation did you submit during the Financial Review? For example, if they looked at a transcript of your USA Federal income tax returns, but you have substantial income that is not subject to USA taxes, the limit would be based on an incomplete view.
I submitted 3 months bank statements.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 11:10 am

Crazy. That's what I expected and they already have all my business and income info confirmed. After several days of waiting, and thinking I realized (and confirmed) that I have a fraud alert on my credit that makes any new cc or account before opened to be confirmed. I am not beginning to think that is what it is. I called today but the centurion team is not there on the weekends, and probably wont be back until Tuesday. Even called the "pending new account approval" and they couldn't answer because its a different department. Extremely annoying and not sure why they wouldn't have verified what they needed the moment I accepted the invite (maybe because it was 9pm eastern time)... Patiently awaiting notification.

The first business cent I received it just showed up in a big black box.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by RichardMannion
Same here, from what I recall it was quick call just to say an invitation had been extended to me and did I want to accept it; card showed up 2 days later via UPS in a white box.
Expected exactly the same. From what I understand, if they reach out to you and call you to invite you, you are technically approved already. It simply takes you to accept the terms. I don't see how it could even be a possibility that they invite you, you accept, and you don't get approved. The buzz behind that would not be good lol. Being that guy that got invited to the red carpet event and now you cant get in lol.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 11:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
To be fair, if memory serves me, you obtained your card quite a long time ago, no? Would it be safe to assume the game might have changed a great deal since you obtained your card?

Regards
Old Jan 19, 2019, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by scubadu
To be fair, if memory serves me, you obtained your card quite a long time ago, no? Would it be safe to assume the game might have changed a great deal since you obtained your card?

Regards
I have some pretty good relationships at Amex and they told me that it’s pretty common and shouldn’t be any issues. Will keep you all posted.

Was hoping someone else got a recent invite to shed some light.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.